Watchung Reservation Trail Building

Shorepoints

Probably going to have to wait till after the Deer Hunt (Feb 11). Hunters are concerned we are scaring the deer out of the park. Remember we are lowest on the totem pole at the Res right now, gotta hang in there. At least Stallone is powering through roughing out the trail, so things aren't standing still. We'll catch up to him quick when we get in there.

w_b

Totem pole or not, curious as to the actual number of hunters holding up progress vs. how many MTBers are being held up. Should be relatively easy to get the hunter number for such a highly-regulated pastime. The difficult number is how many MTBers are being held up.

I'd say this is similar to the classic "public golf courses vs. multi-use parklands" scenario where our tax dollars go mostly to benefit a (relatively) select few duffers.

Oh well, bitchin' about it ain't gonna change it so wait and wait some more. I gotta go kill some deer!

Shorepoints

Totem pole or not, curious as to the actual number of hunters holding up progress vs. how many MTBers are being held up. Should be relatively easy to get the hunter number for such a highly-regulated pastime. The difficult number is how many MTBers are being held up.

I'd say this is similar to the classic "public golf courses vs. multi-use parklands" scenario where our tax dollars go mostly to benefit a (relatively) select few duffers.

Oh well, bitchin' about it ain't gonna change it so wait and wait some more. I gotta go kill some deer!
There are a very small number of hunting licenses issued and they only get 5 days a year, so certainly there are more of us then them, but they get their 5 days and they are out.
Here's the current score, for those of you keeping score: http://patch.com/new-jersey/westfield/19-deer-killed-second-day-union-county-hunt
At least while we wait, Mark and crew are building trails. We just come in after and fine-tune. We will catch up, so I don't think we're losing any time.

Reactions: w_b

qclabrat

any trail build dates being tossed out yet? hunt should done this weekend
If I don't lock down some weekends, the spouse will

rxpxskier

Has there been any update on watchung now that it's April? My searching on the web has resulting in everyone against this movement

MTBpat

I second rxpxskier. I'm looking to move to the area and the prospect of having Watchung open to riding is affecting the location.

MTBpat

wow that's a great expectation to #makewatchunggreatagain
not sure i follow? honestly, every area ive lived in have shared trails without any issues between the user groups. if there is a possibility that union county will be so closed-minded again, then i would rather live and have my taxes go to a county like Morris.. Not to mention, driving a half hour almost every day to Lewis-Morris is going to be a PITA. pretty important decision for me.

qclabrat

not sure i follow? honestly, every area ive lived in have shared trails without any issues between the user groups. if there is a possibility that union county will be so closed-minded again, then i would rather live and have my taxes go to a county like Morris.. Not to mention, driving a half hour almost every day to Lewis-Morris is going to be a PITA. pretty important decision for me.
I agree with driving to ride, I go to Chimney cause it's close, if 6MR or Allamuchy were closer, I'd probably ride there more
what I meant, its rare to hear someone decide on a relo based on the vicinity of a trail in NJ, Moab maybe but Union County?
Though with the guys who will be managing the JORBA trail builds, I'm sure it will be great

You're the perfect demographic to post your comments here if you haven't already:
http://ucnj.org/parks-recreation/paths-trails-greenways/watchung-reservation-trails-master-plan/

bigtwin100

Dont move to Union County.

MTBpat

sorry, i should say we are moving from Ossining to Northern Jersey. Not "relocating" as you mention. But, having lived in Philly for 4 years and riding Wissahickon every day, I really miss the ability to ride out of my garage and into the woods. Never had an issue at the Wiss with shared use.

I just watched the full video from the meeting and agree that the fear-mongering is out of control by these people. I'm not prepared to give $14,000 in tax money every year to Union county and not have the ability to enjoy what that money funds. Not sure if it helps, but if it would be beneficial for me to attend this meeting as a prospective resident, I would try to find a way to make it to one before they make a decision.

Dingo

Where would you suggest someone like myself live when their wife wants her Mid-Town commute to be 45 minutes or less?
Any where NJ transit has passenger rail service or ferry service. Middletown has ferry. Booton has rail and awesome riding.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Where would you suggest someone like myself live when their wife wants her Mid-Town commute to be 45 minutes or less?

You could also look at something near High Mountain, like Wayne, Haledon, Wykoff, etc. I would imagine the train ride to Penn Station wouldn't be too bad from around there.

Top Bottom