Watchung Reservation MTB Access - This Is It!!

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Please remember the officers are doing what they are told.
If they, or someone else gets hurt during a chase, it will not turn out well for anyone.
My comment was definitely not made to be taken seriously. If anybody gets hurt in that fashion, biker or cop, say goodbye forever to access.

qclabrat

maybe close this thread, since access is pretty much over for my duration in NJ?
I haven't ridden WR since the signs came back up last summer, I personally don't need the aggravation looking behind my back like on the road bike
PM your friends and keep it fight club otherwise

Besides there's another thread on access to another UC park...

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
maybe close this thread, since access is pretty much over for my duration in NJ?
I haven't ridden WR since the signs came back up last summer, I personally don't need the aggravation looking behind my back like on the road bike

direction to aforementioned thread?

TheLonerider

We might indeed have better luck elsewhere, inasmuch as the ban on mt biking was about watchung for over 20 years -- and only arbitrarily expanded to other county parks in the last year. The last twenty years of their own ban sort of works against the new trail closures at other county parks., Can't have it both ways.

Lonerider

bigtwin100

This....get ovet it people. Cant ride legally at watchung. Not the end if the world. We tried to storm the castle. Didn't work.

TheLonerider

I would argue as long as a bad policy is in place some people have a duty to point out it is a bad policy.

While riding wherever else we can, of course. (or for those who as dingo said, take a chance at WR... but I'm too old to get in a car chase).

The sad thing is that there is not a single logical reason for it. It's like standing outside a restaurant in the 1950's, looking at a sign that says you can't come in because you have the wrong color skin. Can't just expect people to shrug as say, oh well.

Hopefully someday truth will come to union county... and better policy.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Bergen County where I grew up has been closed to bikes for decades. It has come to the table several times and always shut down eventually. This year, a new trail system is going in a town property in Franklin Lakes in Bergen county. When you can't get in the front door, sometime a back alley will allow a way to get in and become acceptable in the public eye. Hopefully some day attitudes will change on the county level.

There has been a shift in attitude within some NYNJTC officers and employees. I believe it will trickle down as it becomes mainstream.

TheLonerider

Many thanks to JORBA for all their work (if u haven't joined, do so) and happy Independence Day to all.

Speaking of which...

As the fourth of July – known in more enlightened times by the more illustrative name “Independence Day” – is upon us, it behooves all Americans to reflect on our history, and on the many aspects of the American War for Independence, without which we would not exist as a nation.

Union County, New Jersey cyclists should pay special heed to the words of James Otis, a figure of the American Revolution who as early as the 1760’s was sounding the call for the need to be secure our rights from the injustices of the English monarchy, and called for everything from an end to warrantless searches by the King’s men, to freedom for black slaves.

Truly, in many ways, he was ahead of his time.

Although Otis’ most famous attribution, “no taxation without representation” may be something he never literally said, word for word, he helped put the idea in public consciousness as a concept. His actual words were, “The very act of taxing, exercised over those who are not represented, appears to me to be depriving them of one of their most essential rights; and, if continued seems to be, in effect, an entire disenfranchisement of every civil right.”

Over two hundred years later, I can only say, “wow.” Mr. Otis hit the nail on the head.

Speaking of hitting, he paid dearly for his beliefs. Starting out as a loyalist appointee of Britain, he resigned his legal job – which included prosecuting regular people turned smugglers in trying to dodge Britain’s arduous Acts – and ended up representing colonials for free.

In addition to giving up his livelihood, he ultimately gave his life; he was struck in the head by a loyalist with whom he had an argument; brain damage resulting from this injury forced his retirement from public life, silencing a voice that hundreds of bayonets in the hands of redcoats could not quell.

Nevertheless, two centuries after this brave orator spoke out in favor of freedom, and against misgovernment, his words have never been more relevant – especially to Union County cyclists. Property taxes in New Jersey are among the highest in the nation; county taxes take a size-able sum from the pockets of wage earners in this state. Yet, in the most literal sense, cyclists have no representation in Union County, NJ. There is not a single place in Union County where we can officially mountain bike, in county parks we are forced to pay for; since in 2016, the county arbitrarily expanded its twenty year old ban on mountain biking in Watchung Reservation, created in a backroom in ’95, to all county parks.

Cyclists, in a literal sense, are taxed – and do not receive the slightest consideration for the money extorted from them. We are, theoretically, represented by the freeholders – who lie to us for years, conspire against us, and squander our time and money – much as colonists in the 1700’s were theoretically “represented” by the government in England – where they were given no voice. We know how well that turned out.

The phrase “no taxation without representation” might be an abbreviated version of its actual historical counterpart; but the same basic message was never more true, whether the cry was levied against King George in the eighteenth century, or our so-called Union County government here in the twenty-first.

Happy Independence Day. May the freedoms we recall on this day somehow come between us and the depredations of our own county government, as they did between our ancestors and King George, over two centuries ago.

No taxation without representation, in other words, trail access!

- The Lonerider

bigtwin100

Many thanks to JORBA for all their work (if u haven't joined, do so) and happy Independence Day to all.

Speaking of which...

As the fourth of July – known in more enlightened times by the more illustrative name “Independence Day” – is upon us, it behooves all Americans to reflect on our history, and on the many aspects of the American War for Independence, without which we would not exist as a nation.

Union County, New Jersey cyclists should pay special heed to the words of James Otis, a figure of the American Revolution who as early as the 1760’s was sounding the call for the need to be secure our rights from the injustices of the English monarchy, and called for everything from an end to warrantless searches by the King’s men, to freedom for black slaves.

Truly, in many ways, he was ahead of his time.

Although Otis’ most famous attribution, “no taxation without representation” may be something he never literally said, word for word, he helped put the idea in public consciousness as a concept. His actual words were, “The very act of taxing, exercised over those who are not represented, appears to me to be depriving them of one of their most essential rights; and, if continued seems to be, in effect, an entire disenfranchisement of every civil right.”

Over two hundred years later, I can only say, “wow.” Mr. Otis hit the nail on the head.

Speaking of hitting, he paid dearly for his beliefs. Starting out as a loyalist appointee of Britain, he resigned his legal job – which included prosecuting regular people turned smugglers in trying to dodge Britain’s arduous Acts – and ended up representing colonials for free.

In addition to giving up his livelihood, he ultimately gave his life; he was struck in the head by a loyalist with whom he had an argument; brain damage resulting from this injury forced his retirement from public life, silencing a voice that hundreds of bayonets in the hands of redcoats could not quell.

Nevertheless, two centuries after this brave orator spoke out in favor of freedom, and against misgovernment, his words have never been more relevant – especially to Union County cyclists. Property taxes in New Jersey are among the highest in the nation; county taxes take a size-able sum from the pockets of wage earners in this state. Yet, in the most literal sense, cyclists have no representation in Union County, NJ. There is not a single place in Union County where we can officially mountain bike, in county parks we are forced to pay for; since in 2016, the county arbitrarily expanded its twenty year old ban on mountain biking in Watchung Reservation, created in a backroom in ’95, to all county parks.

Cyclists, in a literal sense, are taxed – and do not receive the slightest consideration for the money extorted from them. We are, theoretically, represented by the freeholders – who lie to us for years, conspire against us, and squander our time and money – much as colonists in the 1700’s were theoretically “represented” by the government in England – where they were given no voice. We know how well that turned out.

The phrase “no taxation without representation” might be an abbreviated version of its actual historical counterpart; but the same basic message was never more true, whether the cry was levied against King George in the eighteenth century, or our so-called Union County government here in the twenty-first.

Happy Independence Day. May the freedoms we recall on this day somehow come between us and the depredations of our own county government, as they did between our ancestors and King George, over two centuries ago.

No taxation without representation, in other words, trail access!

- The Lonerider
Don't you ever get tired of typing?

TheLonerider

Don't you ever get tired of typing?
Nope, my strength is as the strength of ten, because my heart is pure.

(Wish the same was true on my last bike ride lol)

Seriously, long as there is wrong in the world, I will point it out... i literally promised myself that over twenty years ago when I was in high school. My moral compass has not changed; though the world has.

TheLonerider

It is important to keep in mind that the issue of mountain biking access in Union County, is not just about cycling and bike access. It is also about government.

In particular, it is about the nature of government – and those who support it.

The anti-bike people who presented themselves at county meetings opposing bike access claimed they were the “good guys”, that they were “concerned citizens” who wanted “a say”.

What they never told anyone is that they wanted to have their citizen input, in order to support the continuation of a policy that was created behind closed doors without anyone having a say, including those most impacted by it – the bikers who were banned – but also, everyone else.

If these people were willing to say, yes, the ban was bad government, let’s disregard it and start with a blank slate, and ask – should mountain biking be allowed, or should it be restricted? That would be one thing. The arguments raised against mountain biking might be no more valid and just as flawed, but at least one could say, they were proceeding in a legitimate, above-board fashion in terms of conduct.

But by supporting the existing ban, they are/were not just supporting the idea of restricting mountain biking, they are/were also supporting everything about the current ban – including its sketchy history, lack of legislative authority, the fact that it was created in a backroom by the unelected in an end run around our electoral process and its protections.

In short, Union County witnessed the amusing but sickening spectacle of people claiming they “wanted a say” so that they could support not only the idea of banning mountain biking, but the idea of government creating policy behind closed doors, without anyone having a say. THIS is what they were supporting and defending.

The failure of these people to look beyond the results of a policy to how it was created and perpetuated, is not unique; across the political spectrum, from local issues to national ones, people are willing to look the other way for government malfeasance simply because they agree with the results. One has to ask such people: What happens when a policy concocted in a similar underhanded manner turns out to be something you don’t like? What objections will you raise to it? How can you object – since you support that very thing?

The issue to them isn’t the nature of government – it is, do they like this particular flavor, however arrived at? The fact that they and their interests could be the next victim of governmental overreach do not register, for them it is in another language; the citizen concerned about misgovernment, as well as bike access, might as well be speaking Swahili.

But the issue isn’t just about mountainbike access; it is about misgovernment. And we must remember that to confront this issue, we must not only advocate the truth about mountain biking, or cycling generally, but also the idea of the proper relationship between the government and the citizen.

It isn’t just that those supporting the current ban are ignorant of cycling and mountain biking; they are also largely ignorant of their birthrights as Americans. Or, they are okay with looking the other way for a policy conducted behind closed doors, without any public input, in contravention of the documented facts, because – at the moment – it agrees with their biases.

Their attitude will be no defense when the next policy so concocted attacks some other activity, besides for cycling – maybe an activity they enjoy.

As Fourth of July is just past, it behooves us to remember as Americans what sort of country our forefathers left us. And it was not one where we were intended to meekly obey edicts made without citizen input, whether from unelected county employees, or King George.

The opponents of cycling in Watchung have not just attacked cyclists; they have attacked all who are interested in fair and just government, including, potentially, themselves. It will poetic justice should their own interests one day succumb to the sort of conduct they condone in this instance against others.

It is up to us, however, who can see the true nature of the issue, to see that that doesn’t happen.

We aren’t just fighting for bike access, but for fair government policy for all, something that benefits not only mountain bikers, but all county residents – including those who hate biking.

The bike haters can thank us later.

bigtwin100

It is important to keep in mind that the issue of mountain biking access in Union County, is not just about cycling and bike access. It is also about government.

In particular, it is about the nature of government – and those who support it.

The anti-bike people who presented themselves at county meetings opposing bike access claimed they were the “good guys”, that they were “concerned citizens” who wanted “a say”.

What they never told anyone is that they wanted to have their citizen input, in order to support the continuation of a policy that was created behind closed doors without anyone having a say, including those most impacted by it – the bikers who were banned – but also, everyone else.

If these people were willing to say, yes, the ban was bad government, let’s disregard it and start with a blank slate, and ask – should mountain biking be allowed, or should it be restricted? That would be one thing. The arguments raised against mountain biking might be no more valid and just as flawed, but at least one could say, they were proceeding in a legitimate, above-board fashion in terms of conduct.

But by supporting the existing ban, they are/were not just supporting the idea of restricting mountain biking, they are/were also supporting everything about the current ban – including its sketchy history, lack of legislative authority, the fact that it was created in a backroom by the unelected in an end run around our electoral process and its protections.

In short, Union County witnessed the amusing but sickening spectacle of people claiming they “wanted a say” so that they could support not only the idea of banning mountain biking, but the idea of government creating policy behind closed doors, without anyone having a say. THIS is what they were supporting and defending.

The failure of these people to look beyond the results of a policy to how it was created and perpetuated, is not unique; across the political spectrum, from local issues to national ones, people are willing to look the other way for government malfeasance simply because they agree with the results. One has to ask such people: What happens when a policy concocted in a similar underhanded manner turns out to be something you don’t like? What objections will you raise to it? How can you object – since you support that very thing?

The issue to them isn’t the nature of government – it is, do they like this particular flavor, however arrived at? The fact that they and their interests could be the next victim of governmental overreach do not register, for them it is in another language; the citizen concerned about misgovernment, as well as bike access, might as well be speaking Swahili.

But the issue isn’t just about mountainbike access; it is about misgovernment. And we must remember that to confront this issue, we must not only advocate the truth about mountain biking, or cycling generally, but also the idea of the proper relationship between the government and the citizen.

It isn’t just that those supporting the current ban are ignorant of cycling and mountain biking; they are also largely ignorant of their birthrights as Americans. Or, they are okay with looking the other way for a policy conducted behind closed doors, without any public input, in contravention of the documented facts, because – at the moment – it agrees with their biases.

Their attitude will be no defense when the next policy so concocted attacks some other activity, besides for cycling – maybe an activity they enjoy.

As Fourth of July is just past, it behooves us to remember as Americans what sort of country our forefathers left us. And it was not one where we were intended to meekly obey edicts made without citizen input, whether from unelected county employees, or King George.

The opponents of cycling in Watchung have not just attacked cyclists; they have attacked all who are interested in fair and just government, including, potentially, themselves. It will poetic justice should their own interests one day succumb to the sort of conduct they condone in this instance against others.

It is up to us, however, who can see the true nature of the issue, to see that that doesn’t happen.

We aren’t just fighting for bike access, but for fair government policy for all, something that benefits not only mountain bikers, but all county residents – including those who hate biking.

The bike haters can thank us later.

https://iocdf.org/about-ocd/treatment/

TheLonerider

Not sure what you are saying, are you suggesting that pointing out the obvious is a sign of mental illness?

Sounds like a tact some of the rabid bike bashers would take lol. Or an attempt at humor. Speaking of which, this guy might look familiar...

images

I'm sure those who favor the absurd ban policy would love it if we all stuck our heads in the sand and pretended nothing was wrong in denmark.

Lonerider

Last edited:

bigtwin100

Im only teasin ya Lonerider. My watchung give a damn is busted. Aint nothin changed for me at watchung for the last 20 years.....wink wink

Top Bottom