watch out for the bees

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
there is a pumpkin size wasp hive shoulder high right on the trail. best way to describe location is there is a split trail that seperates tilcon lake side and powerline side make left towards tilcon just before the two step-ups on the turn is where its hanging and they dont look very friendly!!!

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Bees be gone!

That one will be taken care of tonight!!! Matty if you want ot partake in the fun you can join Steve and I at 6 at the RR crossing, will be walking in!

Bob W

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah, i met up with steve the other day and mentioned it to him i'll try to come by, i plan on riding there a little before that

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Kis

Bob W, Out of curiosity, what is your preferred wasp/bee eviction method?

I go with the simple approach. Take a can of Raid Bee and Wasp Spray (or what ever it is called), which sprays up to 15 feet or so. Once the nest is soaked wait a few minutes to make sure you got most if not all of the bees, then throw shit at the nest to knock it down or if its in the ground dig up partially (allows the local critters to finish off the job).

Like I said Keep It Simple! Works for me...

HybridR7

My bee story yesterday..

So, what was supposed to be a nice Labor Day ride turned out to be the exact opposite. We rode single track all day mostly right side of rail trail, we took a trail that ended up at the waterfall (on right of rail trail if heading north) we stopped to take some pix, the area was packed yesterday. We're still new to the area so I didn't realize where we were until I got down to the waterfall, thank God we were pretty close to parking because before we even walked back to the trail to ride more we got swarmed by about 2 dozen bees! We both got hit a total of 8 times right through our clothes and started flying out of there feeling like we were still being attacked! Of course that's when I slipped a pedal and I took the entire spiked platform into my shin. Honestly... I had to pull it out from my left before jumping on my bike, that's how much force I must have used to get the #$%^ out of there! We then decided to grab the bikes and hop over the rocks to the rail trail and called it a day. It felt like we were getting hit by lightening the entire ride back. We know we didn't disturb anything intentionally while we were there but man, "you gotta respect nature."

If anyone's interested in what a shin looks like after a spiked pedal is pulled from it, I can post the damage and story on another thread. I thought I saw an injury thread somewhere lol, thanks for letting me vent. Later

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions