Washington Valley trail closures-THIS COULD BE BAD!!!

GTCHAMPION1

At CR now. I’ve seen 3 sheriffs on red plus several cruisers coming and going from Newman’s lot.

While I appreciate the effort seems like overkill for a Wednesday morning before 11am. There are only 5 cars in the lot and two are sheriffs.

Gonna blow some budget the first week.
They should show more on weekends, it's when you see more out of state vehicles, plus there been a couple of times I end up picking up people's garbage at Newman's parking lot, how hard is it to spot the garbage can and the recycle bin at Newman's? ¿😐?

Jeff_STI

So they know where the problem is and instead of fining the offenders they want to close it off to everyone and fine people who break the rules by going there? They have the manpower to enforce a closed area but not to curb the illegal activity that's causing them to threaten to close it in the first place? That's grade A bureaucracy at work right there.
I been riding at Chimney rock for the past 3 years straight, and got ticketed for being riding after 8 pm. While others do illegal stuff there and get to walk away with an just "don't do it again and leave the park".

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
While I'm sympathetic @Jeff_STI, be careful what you wish for. If you want park rules enforced so we can continue riding there, expect ALL park rules to be enforced to the letter of the law. At least until SCPC and BTPD feels like the message is received loud and clear.

FatTaco

This Monday, I got a ticket for being at the parked at dark time, When I finish riding there was 2 cops following by the 3rd sheriff. I spoke polite and respectful to the cops in regards why I was there riding at night. I started riding around 6:30 but wasn't able to get back at the parking lot until like 9P.M. One of the cop ask me about how much I ride there, I told them I been riding there for the past 3 years at morning on weekends and at night daily. I even had a chat with the park ranger I met at Peak Hawk on chimney rock. What bothers me was that was my first ticket in life. No even a Warning or don't do it again or something, I seen many cops stopping kids that go there for diving and swimming which is restricted, and they always walk away with just "Leave the Park" or "Don't do it again". Going to switch back to six miles run for my nights run. Becareful guys, these cops are on the watch now for people parking there after 8:30P.M.
Well the park closes at dusk right? You were at fault technically, you were not supposed to be there. The rules apply to everyone including you. No sympathy here

FatTaco

I been riding at Chimney rock for the past 3 years straight, and got ticketed for being riding after 8 pm. While others do illegal stuff there and get to walk away with an just "don't do it again and leave the park".
Yes but not now because the ding dongs shitting and pissing in the woods put the attention on everybody. Follow the rules and dont play the victim when ya break them and get a ticket. I ride at night there too but take full responsibility if i get caught and realize i may get a ticket.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Police do not want to be there, expect no leeway until this blows over a bit. I told that to 2 very nice high school girls that were going swimming today. They actually believed me, thanked me and left.
I also picked up a bunch of garbage today and yeah I bitched with every piece I picked up, especially in the lot with the can right F’ing there.

mwlikesbikes

Yes but not now because the ding dongs shitting and pissing in the woods put the attention on everybody. Follow the rules and dont play the victim when ya break them and get a ticket. I ride at night there too but take full responsibility if i get caught and realize i may get a ticket.
Night riding is illegal there as well, always follow fight club rules if you must. If one were to think of night riding they would be wise to not park at Newmans, ballfield, or Gilbride lots.

kidzach

This Monday, I got a ticket for being at the parked at dark time, When I finish riding there was 2 cops following by the 3rd sheriff. I spoke polite and respectful to the cops in regards why I was there riding at night. I started riding around 6:30 but wasn't able to get back at the parking lot until like 9P.M. One of the cop ask me about how much I ride there, I told them I been riding there for the past 3 years at morning on weekends and at night daily. I even had a chat with the park ranger I met at Peak Hawk on chimney rock. What bothers me was that was my first ticket in life. No even a Warning or don't do it again or something, I seen many cops stopping kids that go there for diving and swimming which is restricted, and they always walk away with just "Leave the Park" or "Don't do it again". Going to switch back to six miles run for my nights run. Becareful guys, these cops are on the watch now for people parking there after 8:30P.M.
Well , yeah. Somebody drowned . They are not playing. Sorry you got a ticket. But they are just doing their job. Be happy we did not lose our privilege to ride there. Night riding is illegal everywhere. Fight Club

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'll stick my $.02 in here.

If they ticket the out-of-towners, and no locals, that would seem like targeting.
Expect blanket enforcement of the rules - they really have no choice.
Hopefully "only" $25 -

put those reflectors back on the bike, and make sure you have a bell?
(bell is not a horrible idea at CR right now)

On the drowning - people drown all the time. It isn't like the person jumped off something and hit their head at the local pool club.
He either had a medical emergency, or didn't realize swimming 100 yards was hard.
Why can't it just be the person drown, swimming where they shouldn't?
Seems like it is on the person.

Perhaps cold, but I'm responsible for me, and the decisions I make and risks I take.
Completely different from someone else f-ng something up which injures others making good decisions.

Look at the statement by SC Parks - they need to ensure the safety of all users.
That drives their decision process. It is a thing in NJ -

There is no railing around the grand canyon. people fall off the edge every year......

ekuhn

I have to agree with @Patrick - I've watched this thread develop and kind of waited to post my opinion..

My fire department was there to aid in recovery of the victim. Its never a fun process when you're heading into the water or standing on shore and family/friends behind you. I've been on too many of these incidents to know the heart break for the families. You don't want to see anyone lose their life prematurely.

Personal accountability/responsibility is the key factor. You drive drunk and hurt someone and yourself, its your fault, not the car or the roadways fault. You go past a sign or a fence to do some thing you shouldn't be doing, then you deserve the consequences. Don't go in the deep end if you can't swim, even more so if you're under the influence.

From a MTB'r stand point, just police yourselves and keep a positive image of what we do in the park to make it better for everyone.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I don't totally agree with that. We did the New England vacation thing, and in each of the 3 states we spent time in (Vermont, NH, Maine) there are areas you could hurt/kill yourself pretty easily. In the North Conway area there are plenty of accessible places you can walk right off a ledge and not know it until it's too late.

You might say to this, well you have to earn the climb up so you weed out most of the people there. Sure, but then there is a river crossing we went by daily with 100s of cars and people dragging coolers and kegs to take with them in their float down the river. I am sure people die on this river every year because they drink too much but there's really no police presence to stop it.

I think there are a lot of areas of the US where this is the case. Arizona, as mentioned above.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I don't totally agree with that. We did the New England vacation thing, and in each of the 3 states we spent time in (Vermont, NH, Maine) there are areas you could hurt/kill yourself pretty easily. In the North Conway area there are plenty of accessible places you can walk right off a ledge and not know it until it's too late.

You might say to this, well you have to earn the climb up so you weed out most of the people there. Sure, but then there is a river crossing we went by daily with 100s of cars and people dragging coolers and kegs to take with them in their float down the river. I am sure people die on this river every year because they drink too much but there's really no police presence to stop it.

I think there are a lot of areas of the US where this is the case. Arizona, as mentioned above.

they take that "Live free or die" shit seriously.

serviceguy

Or.... they have not realized yet that your can sue for your own stupidity and become rich!
In all due time.
I don't think that is the reason for excessive regulation, I believe it's more of an ideological approach to government and not necessarily linked to party affiliation.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions