Washington Valley trail closures-THIS COULD BE BAD!!!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the article was written last night with a much different slant and the final headline was just a "perhaps too quick" edit from how it was originally written.

Agree - i just thought it odd when i posted it in a FB thread to thank those that reached out.
I should have put a smiley ;)
Especially since it is well written/presented.

Dingo

This is great news. The fines should help pay for the extra police presence. A hot line would be nice to call in and report any illegal activity if we see it.

kidzach

No trail closures, for now.

BRIDGEWATER, NJ — The fate of Washington Valley Park is saved for now as officials have come to an agreement to keep trail access open by adding even more of a police presence.

The Somerset County Park Commission had planned on holding a meeting on Wednesday to restrict trail access at the park in Bridgewater Township due to an increase in illegal behavior. However, Bridgewater Township officials and the Bridgewater Police met with the commission to come to an agreement to keep the park open.
"I stand with the many concerned residents of Bridgewater and Somerset County who should not have their park access diminished because some people choose not to follow the rules. All other options must be exhausted," Bridgewater Mayor Matthew Moench said.
Subscribe
The Somerset County Sheriff's Office will be deployed in the parks to increase enforcement and act as a deterrent to bad actors.
The increase in illegal activity is linked to the coronavirus pandemic as more locals are limiting travel and are remaining home for the summer.

"Since the beginning of the pandemic, the Township has noticed a drastic increase in the parks use which has led to parking issues on the surrounding Township roads and an uptick of criminal behavior within the park itself. The Township and the Police Department have been working diligently to allay the parking concerns by way of several measures but most notably, increased enforcement," Moench said.
Illegal activity includes swimming in waterways, jumping off cliffs, and a tower located in the reservoir, alcohol possession, drug possession, littering, campfires, urinating and defecating, parking illegally, and trespassing on private property.

On June 22, tragedy struck the park when Michael Woskey, 37, of Somerville, drowned at the reservoir after jumping off one of the cliffs at Washington Valley Park. Following the drowning, Bridgewater Police along with the Somerset County Sheriff's Office and the Somerset County Park Rangers have since increased enforcement. Read More: Drowning Victim Found, Identified At Bridgewater Reservoir
However, the illegal activity has continued months later prompting park officials to close the park.
Police have issued the following ordinance violations for swimming, trespassing, and other prohibited activity within the parks from the months of June and July.
  • June: 58 Summonses for Various Ordinance Violations
  • July: 34 Summonses for Various Ordinance Violations
And the following summonses for parking violations along Chimney Rock Road, Gilbride Road, and Newmans Lane, which are all posted No Parking:

• June: 85 Parking Summonses
  • July: 85 Parking Summonses
When the commission announced it would restrict trail access, a petition was started to keep the park open by locals who access the park for bike riding, hiking, and fishing. The petition has more than 2,600 signatures as of Tuesday.
"I think punishing the thousands of country residents who utilize the park's wonderful resources for hiking, biking, dog walking, and family exercise because of the inappropriate actions of a few is shortsighted and simply wrong. Enforcing the rules would severely limit the problem if not eliminating it while bringing much-needed revenue to the county. All of this is particularly magnified as a result of COVID-19 with so many of us working out of our homes and in need of recreation now more than ever," said Bridgewater resident Evan Lerner, who frequents the park 3 to 4 times a week to walk his dog.
The park will remain open for now and police enforcement will continue.
This Somerset County Park is a 720-acre site featuring a 21-acre reservoir, scenic waterfalls, more than seven miles of trails for hikers and bikers, and a hawk watch that is enjoyed by thousands of
visitors each year.
"This summer has been different than in years past. We have seen illegal swimming and trespassing, illegal drinking, and dumping of garbage and empty beer and liquor bottles. Last month a 37-year old man tragically lost his life when he drowned after jumping into the reservoir. One of the Park Commission's responsibilities is to keep our parks clean and safe for the law-abiding visitors, and we take that responsibility seriously," according to Somerset County Park Commission Director-Secretary GeoffreySoriano.
Sheriff's Officers began patrolled Washington Valley Park this past weekend, and officers will continue to patrol the park for the foreseeable future. Sheriff's
Officers are prepared to issue summons-complaints for violations including trespass, swimming, possession of alcohol, and illegal parking.
As a result of these enforcement efforts, the Park Commission has suspended its consideration of the proposal to designate restricted areas in Washington Valley Park. As such, the continuation of emergency meeting has been canceled by the Park Commission. The Commission will continue to work with law enforcement agencies to increase enforcement of rules and local laws in this park.
The Somerset County Park Commission encourages all who visit Somerset County parks to visit safely and respect and preserve their natural beauty by:
  • Observing "No Trespassing" and "No Swimming" signs and staying out of designated restricted or dangerous areas;
  • Carrying out whatever may have been carried in;
  • Utilizing re-usable water bottles;
  • Ensuring that alcoholic beverages, grills, and glass bottles remain at home and not in the parks.
Have a news tip? Email alexis.tarrazi@patch.com.
Get Patch breaking news alerts sent right to your phone with our new app. Download here. Don't miss local and statewide announcements. Sign up for Patch alerts and daily newsletters.

ThankReplyShare

Illegal Behavior Could Shut Washington Valley Park In Bridgewater
Patch Community Guidelines
Great news ! From here on in whenever I Ride here I will now call the local authorities if I see any swimmers or other shenanigans. I hate to rat on swimmers because I used to do the same thing all the time at the reservoir behind Garret Mountain. I guess we live in a different world now. I always pick up any garbage anyway, which 19 out of 20 times is an empty bottle of water left behind from a hiker. Be safe folks.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
No trail closures, for now.

BRIDGEWATER, NJ — The fate of Washington Valley Park is saved for now as officials have come to an agreement to keep trail access open by adding even more of a police presence.

The Somerset County Park Commission had planned on holding a meeting on Wednesday to restrict trail access at the park in Bridgewater Township due to an increase in illegal behavior. However, Bridgewater Township officials and the Bridgewater Police met with the commission to come to an agreement to keep the park open.
"I stand with the many concerned residents of Bridgewater and Somerset County who should not have their park access diminished because some people choose not to follow the rules. All other options must be exhausted," Bridgewater Mayor Matthew Moench said.
Subscribe
The Somerset County Sheriff's Office will be deployed in the parks to increase enforcement and act as a deterrent to bad actors.
The increase in illegal activity is linked to the coronavirus pandemic as more locals are limiting travel and are remaining home for the summer.

"Since the beginning of the pandemic, the Township has noticed a drastic increase in the parks use which has led to parking issues on the surrounding Township roads and an uptick of criminal behavior within the park itself. The Township and the Police Department have been working diligently to allay the parking concerns by way of several measures but most notably, increased enforcement," Moench said.
Illegal activity includes swimming in waterways, jumping off cliffs, and a tower located in the reservoir, alcohol possession, drug possession, littering, campfires, urinating and defecating, parking illegally, and trespassing on private property.

On June 22, tragedy struck the park when Michael Woskey, 37, of Somerville, drowned at the reservoir after jumping off one of the cliffs at Washington Valley Park. Following the drowning, Bridgewater Police along with the Somerset County Sheriff's Office and the Somerset County Park Rangers have since increased enforcement. Read More: Drowning Victim Found, Identified At Bridgewater Reservoir
However, the illegal activity has continued months later prompting park officials to close the park.
Police have issued the following ordinance violations for swimming, trespassing, and other prohibited activity within the parks from the months of June and July.
  • June: 58 Summonses for Various Ordinance Violations
  • July: 34 Summonses for Various Ordinance Violations
And the following summonses for parking violations along Chimney Rock Road, Gilbride Road, and Newmans Lane, which are all posted No Parking:

• June: 85 Parking Summonses
  • July: 85 Parking Summonses
When the commission announced it would restrict trail access, a petition was started to keep the park open by locals who access the park for bike riding, hiking, and fishing. The petition has more than 2,600 signatures as of Tuesday.
"I think punishing the thousands of country residents who utilize the park's wonderful resources for hiking, biking, dog walking, and family exercise because of the inappropriate actions of a few is shortsighted and simply wrong. Enforcing the rules would severely limit the problem if not eliminating it while bringing much-needed revenue to the county. All of this is particularly magnified as a result of COVID-19 with so many of us working out of our homes and in need of recreation now more than ever," said Bridgewater resident Evan Lerner, who frequents the park 3 to 4 times a week to walk his dog.
The park will remain open for now and police enforcement will continue.
This Somerset County Park is a 720-acre site featuring a 21-acre reservoir, scenic waterfalls, more than seven miles of trails for hikers and bikers, and a hawk watch that is enjoyed by thousands of
visitors each year.
"This summer has been different than in years past. We have seen illegal swimming and trespassing, illegal drinking, and dumping of garbage and empty beer and liquor bottles. Last month a 37-year old man tragically lost his life when he drowned after jumping into the reservoir. One of the Park Commission's responsibilities is to keep our parks clean and safe for the law-abiding visitors, and we take that responsibility seriously," according to Somerset County Park Commission Director-Secretary GeoffreySoriano.
Sheriff's Officers began patrolled Washington Valley Park this past weekend, and officers will continue to patrol the park for the foreseeable future. Sheriff's
Officers are prepared to issue summons-complaints for violations including trespass, swimming, possession of alcohol, and illegal parking.
As a result of these enforcement efforts, the Park Commission has suspended its consideration of the proposal to designate restricted areas in Washington Valley Park. As such, the continuation of emergency meeting has been canceled by the Park Commission. The Commission will continue to work with law enforcement agencies to increase enforcement of rules and local laws in this park.
The Somerset County Park Commission encourages all who visit Somerset County parks to visit safely and respect and preserve their natural beauty by:
  • Observing "No Trespassing" and "No Swimming" signs and staying out of designated restricted or dangerous areas;
  • Carrying out whatever may have been carried in;
  • Utilizing re-usable water bottles;
  • Ensuring that alcoholic beverages, grills, and glass bottles remain at home and not in the parks.
Have a news tip? Email alexis.tarrazi@patch.com.
Get Patch breaking news alerts sent right to your phone with our new app. Download here. Don't miss local and statewide announcements. Sign up for Patch alerts and daily newsletters.

ThankReplyShare

Illegal Behavior Could Shut Washington Valley Park In Bridgewater
Patch Community Guidelines
HMZ7.gif

GTCHAMPION1

I spoke with a ranger in the lot just prior to my ride yesterday after work. He assured that the language was misconstrued in the objective for the trail closure released by the parks department and their original intentions were to only close the trail access on the fire roads for the a short distance near the entry way to the bridge by the damn and along the north side of the reservoir (circled in red). Then there is also debate about the trail I have colored in blue. I am making a few assumptions of the trail shutdown based on our discussion, but he was in agreement with my original thoughts that the park is under-policed. They have recently hired some new staff and he says they have handed out over 50 tickets for illicit drug use and alcohol in the past few weeks alone. He states that most of the offenders are from far away and are of working age, but clearly have nothing to do during COVID times, so it has become a major problem because they will just come to the park to hang out and drink all day. He says they literally are bringing handles of liquor even hookahs on occasion and not being discrete about it (what ever happened to trail beers in a coffee mug... gotta be smart about it guys)

In all seriousness, there is definitely a drug use problem in the area, as I have found used needles in the lot numerous times along Newmans lane. I call the local PD to inform them and all they say is that they are aware, but there's nothing they can do about it (I completely disagree with the latter statement). Well, now since they have refused to police the area, their solution of shutting things down is ridiculous in my opinion. Outsiders need to be better educated about the dangers, through scary signs along the reservoir. There is still nothing preventing them from entering the reservoir with the future "plan" other than having to travel a bit further to get to the waterway. I don't see any clear signs stating the dangers of ingesting the water from the reservoir due to algae bloom that is currently there. Yes, I do have sentiment towards the ranger's frustrations and agree that winter couldn't come soon enough for these parks. I clean up similar trash in Watchung Res all the time near the "swimming hole," and have given up this year because it is just out of control. All of these people cooped up in apartments in the heat, looking for an escape since public pools are closed, and they are currently coming to our park systems rather than driving to the beaches (which are better policed).

View attachment 136756
You just said everything I been wanting to say, when the parking lots are full, half of the cars are from PA and NY, once I'm done riding I find garbage on the parking exactly on the area where a vehicle from NY or PA was parked and most of those cars don't even come with a bike and I know they don't come to the park for hiking either.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Official update/statement from the Park Commission:

AN UPDATE ON THE SOMERSET COUNTY PARK COMMISSION PLAN TO ADDRESS UNLAWFUL ACTIVITY AT WASHINGTON VALLEY PARK LOCATED IN
BRIDGEWATER TOWNSHIP, NEW JERSEY
BRIDGEWATER, NJ –The Somerset County Park Commission has announced that it is working closely with the Bridgewater Police Department and the Somerset County Sherriff’s Office to limit vandalism, illegal alcohol consumption and trespassing at Washington Valley Park. This Somerset County Park is a 720-acre site featuring a 21-acre reservoir, scenic waterfalls, more than seven miles of trails for hikers and bikers, and a hawk watch that is enjoyed by thousands of visitors each year.
According to Somerset County Park Commission Director-Secretary Geoffrey Soriano, “This summer has been different than in years past. We have seen illegal swimming and trespassing, illegal drinking, and dumping of garbage and empty beer and liquor bottles. Last month a 37-year old man tragically lost his life when he drowned after jumping into the reservoir. One of the Park Commission’s responsibilities is to keep our parks clean and safe for the law abiding visitors, and we take that responsibility seriously.”
During the course of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, the Commission’s Park Rangers have witnessed a myriad of violations—well above and beyond the number typically experienced—within the confines of Washington Valley Park and predominantly in or in the immediate vicinity of the waterways and bodies of water that comprise the reservoir and the East and West Branches of Middle Brook. It has never been intended that Washington Valley Park would to be utilized as a “destination point” for “beach-goers” to engage in activities that are in direct violation of the Park Commission’s rules and regulations. According to Soriano, “illegal activities are interfering with the legal enjoyment of the park”.
As a result and on a nearly daily basis, Park Rangers have had to call upon officers from the Bridgewater Township Police Department to undertake enforcement efforts to properly address the violations. These enforcement efforts, the need to clean piles of trash left behind, the resulting degradation of Washington Valley Park, and the adverse impacts to the neighboring property owners (noise pollution, potential forest fires, instances of trespass, and continued harassment) caused the Park Commission to consider taking action to authorize the designation of certain areas in Washington Valley Park to be restricted from public access. At an August 7, 2020 emergency meeting of the Park Commission, a plan was developed to enlist the services of the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office to initiate a focused enforcement effort. The August 7th meeting was essentially adjourned and carried to Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.
Sheriff’s Officers patrolled Washington Valley Park this past weekend, and officers will continue to patrol the park for the foreseeable future. Sheriff’s Officers are prepared to issue summons-complaints for violations including trespass, swimming, possession of alcohol, and illegal parking.
The Park Commission wishes to express its great gratitude to Somerset County Sheriff Darrin Russo and the Sheriff’s Officers of the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office for their enforcement initiative this past weekend as well as their future enforcement efforts. In addition, the Commission recognizes the valuable assistance supplied by Chief Paul Payne and officers from the Bridgewater Township Police Department.
The Commission’s Secretary-Director recognizes the many emails and telephone calls from valued park patrons who rightfully utilize Washington Valley Park and who have expressed genuine concern that access to this facility would be restricted.
The Park Commission is committed to protecting all of its parks and facilities to ensure that those individuals who use, enjoy, and respect them can continue to do so. With continued assistance from local and county law enforcement, the Park Commission will continue to welcome visitors who desire to avail themselves of these really special places—especially during the instant pandemic.
Observing “No Trespassing” and “No Swimming” signs and staying out
of designated restricted or dangerous areas;
Carrying out whatever may have been carried in;
Utilizing re-usable water bottles;
Ensuring that alcoholic beverages, grills, and glass bottles remain at home
and not in the parks.
Information of Park Commission programs and activities may be found at www.somersetcountyparks.org or by calling 908-722-1200.

GTCHAMPION1

The sad part is on Instagram, when you see pictures of Chimney Rock, 90% of pictures is people bathing and throwing a party, and maybe 2 or 3 pictures of hikers and 2 or 3 pictures of bikes 😐

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
At CR now. I’ve seen 3 sheriffs on red plus several cruisers coming and going from Newman’s lot.

While I appreciate the effort seems like overkill for a Wednesday morning before 11am. There are only 5 cars in the lot and two are sheriffs.

Gonna blow some budget the first week.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
At CR now. I’ve seen 3 sheriffs on red plus several cruisers coming and going from Newman’s lot.

While I appreciate the effort seems like overkill for a Wednesday morning before 11am. There are only 5 cars in the lot and two are sheriffs.

Gonna blow some budget the first week.

Hopefully they are becoming familiar with the park ??

Did you speak with anyone?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
While I appreciate the effort seems like overkill for a Wednesday morning before 11am.
Tailoring patrol efforts to meet specific needs over an extended period of time takes good communication and leadership. Also there is a learning curve, which is why you may be seeing a lot of officer's. The good thing is law enforcement is there, which should help get the word out that CR is not a place to parteee.

Jeff_STI

This Monday, I got a ticket for being at the parked at dark time, When I finish riding there was 2 cops following by the 3rd sheriff. I spoke polite and respectful to the cops in regards why I was there riding at night. I started riding around 6:30 but wasn't able to get back at the parking lot until like 9P.M. One of the cop ask me about how much I ride there, I told them I been riding there for the past 3 years at morning on weekends and at night daily. I even had a chat with the park ranger I met at Peak Hawk on chimney rock. What bothers me was that was my first ticket in life. No even a Warning or don't do it again or something, I seen many cops stopping kids that go there for diving and swimming which is restricted, and they always walk away with just "Leave the Park" or "Don't do it again". Going to switch back to six miles run for my nights run. Becareful guys, these cops are on the watch now for people parking there after 8:30P.M.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions