Washington Valley trail closures-THIS COULD BE BAD!!!

rlb

Getting back to the ticketing thing, I wouldn't be surprised if increasing ticket revenue was part of the reasoning as well. I'm sure the county will take any and all measures they can to recover their increased costs for ramping up enforcement in the park.

serviceguy

Didn't realize my statement implied anything to do with party affiliation

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you're reading my post incorrectly (as in I did not write it clearly, ça va sans dire). Or both.

That's not what I was suggesting, I just don't think that the reason behind local government overregulating access to public parks is just concern over litigation in case of accidents. It's just what government does often in trying to do its job, overregulate things, regardless party affiliation (even though some tend to do it more, also ça va sans dire), because...

Getting back to the ticketing thing, I wouldn't be surprised if increasing ticket revenue was part of the reasoning as well. I'm sure the county will take any and all measures they can to recover their increased costs for ramping up enforcement in the park.
...this!

Dingo

What ever the reason(s) all that matters is we can ride there. They can double the fines, not my problem I'm legal, break the rules you pay simple

mwlikesbikes

On my ride today when I got out to Gilbride there was a local cop giving out parking tickets to cars parked on the road. I gave him a thumbs up and said thank you as he was walking back to his car.
After bouncing down hi tech ll I heard music blasting as I got near the dam, saw some people down there.

Climbing the gravel fire road to the hawk watch I passed a sheriff’s officer walking down to the dam, told her there were people partying down there, she said “yeah, I know”, not sounding too happy about it. I made sure to thank her for her work cuz I’m sure they don’t enjoy trudging down and back up that hill in full vest & gear.

When I got to Miller lane lot there was another officer walking down.

kearneyb

Director Soriano from the Somerset County Park Commission emailed out the following outline for the County's Park Watcher Program which was adopted last night. Bottom line, save the number at the bottom of the release and if you see something, contact the park ranger.

Somerset County Park Commission
Washington Valley Park
Park Watch Program

Thank you for your interest in assisting to make recreating at Washington Valley Park an even better experience by helping the Somerset County Park Commission to identify park uses that are not permitted; may be dangerous or harmful to humans, wildlife, and the ecosystem; may be criminal; or may create negative experiences for everyone. By alerting our Park Rangers or the Somerset County 911Communications Center to these behaviors while they are using the park, individuals can provide an extremely valuable service that strengthens the community, supports the park system, and helps maintain this natural area as the gem that it is.

It is important to understand that, currently, the Park Commission has 11 Park Rangers and two shift Supervisors, half of which are on duty at each end of the week. A Manager oversees the department activities. The Park Rangers are responsible for patrolling the general use parks and undeveloped natural areas, providing visitor services, protection and management of natural resources, and providing first response to public safety issues. It is also important to understand that our Park Rangers are not law enforcement officers, they possess no enforcement authority, and they carry no weapons. Park Rangers are responsible for informing the public about the rules and regulations governing the park system and “eliciting” compliant behavior with persuasion and diplomacy—certainly an onerous task these days. The Park Commission manages nearly 15,000 acres of parkland, which two million annual visitors enjoy throughout the parks and facilities of the park system. So the takeaways here are that a very few number of Rangers with limited authority are charged with patrolling a vast park system. Our Park Rangers do their very best to keep a close watch on activities taking place in parks, but, clearly, they cannot be everywhere at every time.

The extreme loyalty and dedication exhibited by patrons of Washington Valley Park has been overwhelming. The Commission wholeheartedly believes that these individuals are exceptionally well-suited to assist the Commission in its launch of a new “Park Watch” initiative—something that can be a template of sorts to be installed at other parks and open space properties stewarded by the Commission.

The Park Commission’s Park Watch Program seeks to encourage park patrons to serve as our supplemental “eyes and ears” while they hike, bike, watch, fish, paddle, or otherwise recreate in Washington Valley Park. The Commission does not wish its “Park Watchers” to formally organize patrols (think Curtis Sliwa and the Guardian Angels or the Subway Vigilante, Bernard Goetz). And the Commission certainly does not want its Park Watchers to “engage” any observed misbehavers or violators. As the Park Rangers have no law enforcement authority, Park Watchers must acknowledge that they, too, must leave enforcement activity to the proper authorities.

The Park Commission has a set of Regulations that are amended and updated from time to time. The full set of Regulations (last revised and adopted on February 20, 2020) is posted on the Park Commission’s website at:

The following is a list of amended Park Commission rules that are most prevalent types of activities that have been experienced this year within the park.

• Littering
• Vandalism (destruction of public property and graffiti)
• Use of drugs and alcohol
• Swimming; to include cliff and tower jumping
• Campfires and the use of grills
• Trespassing in restricted areas and upon neighboring private property
• Improper parking

In addition, the Park Commission welcomes Park Watchers to report hazardous conditions and park maintenance needs in our parks.

There are some violations that do not necessarily lend themselves well to identification by Park Watchers due to the practical nature of their ultimate enforceability and the need to prioritize Park Rangers’ and law enforcement’s responsibilities. For example, while the failure to restrain a dog by a leash is clearly a violation of the Commission’s Regulations and smoking in park areas violates the Regulations as well as state law, the prospect of getting a law enforcement officer to Washington Valley Park to address that conduct is minimal (and query whether an officer could get there in time). As such, the Commission asks that Park Watchers to be judicious and use some discretion when identifying and notifying of violations.

Park Watchers can assist the Park Commission by identifying these incidents, and bringing them to the Park Rangers’ attention by calling the appropriate phone numbers (see below). In certain instances, it might be necessary to first contact the Somerset County 911 Communications Center. The Commission asks that the following guidance be followed while observing and assessing what appears to be behavior that violates regulations or criminal laws:

• Please note the behavior, but do not approach or engage the individual.
• Photographs can be helpful if they can be taken without compromising a Park Watcher’s safety.
• For medical emergencies, fires, or criminal acts that are in progress, “911” should be called immediately.

Contact can be made with a Park Ranger by calling the below numbers in the order shown. Please note that, generally, Rangers are on duty from dusk until dawn. In the event, a call is placed after duty hours and the matter is not an emergency, a message can be left.

1. 908 285-3800
2. 908 210-8174 Sun–Wed / 908 256-6491 Wed–Sat
3. 908 297-2239

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Do we really want to be Park Narcs?
I feel like that is a broad spectrum. Obvious vandalism, absolutely report that.
Swimming? Meh. Although there is the argument of someone getting hurt doing illegal activity and the park gets closed for everyone.
Littering? Immediate imprisonment but my opinion may be extreme.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Do we really want to be Park Narcs?

It depends. I saw two middle aged women sitting on a rock, drinking a bottle of wine. Who cares? Middle of the Summer there were large groups of teens openly drinking an swimming in the reservoir. You know nothing good is going to come from that.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was rolling through CR last week and saw 4 kids on top of the tower, jumping off. I called over to them that cops are all over this place, don't do that. They politely dismissed me.

Back at the lot(ballfield) our paths crossed again as they walked to their car in soaking wet shorts. A cop was waiting next to their car and gave them a ticket. I laughed to myself.

I'm not one to drop a dime on someone, but I will speak up if I see stuff going on that I don't like.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was rolling through CR last week and saw 4 kids on top of the tower, jumping off. I called over to them that cops are all over this place, don't do that. They politely dismissed me.

Back at the lot(ballfield) our paths crossed again as they walked to their car in soaking wet shorts. A cop was waiting next to their car and gave them a ticket. I laughed to myself.

I'm not one to drop a dime on someone, but I will speak up if I see stuff going on that I don't like.

THAT CRAZY OLD DUDE WAS RIGHT!!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions