Washington Valley Park/CR history lesson

stilluf

very cool history. Hard to appreciate the view that this position gave to Washington and his troops because of the current tree cover, both on the heights and down below. Easy to spot a blob of red coats marching when the trees are all cut down and its just green fields between there and New Brunswick.

Jrzjoe

Cool. Is it legal to bring a metal detector out there? I met a guy wit one at hartshorne a few years ago who said he found lead bar for melting and making musket and a few English uniform buttons. He said when the British were in retreat they crossed those hills to sandy hook.

rick81721

Lothar
Cool. Is it legal to bring a metal detector out there? I met a guy wit one at hartshorne a few years ago who said he found lead bar for melting and making musket and a few English uniform buttons. He said when the British were in retreat they crossed those hills to sandy hook.

Nothing in somerset county park rules that says you can't. NJ state parks it's allowed with a permit. Interestingly, their rules under smoking are very specific - no TOBACCO may be smoked at any time. The guy who wrote the article says he found "a borken [sic] piece of a square cobalt blue glass bottle" i.e. some kids' beer bottles

Jrzjoe

Well, maybe a nice Saturday for me and my kid. We’ll be sure not to smoke.
Cool article. I really love this kind of stuff.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, I noticed they cleared that section of McBrides Rock several years ago. It was tangled up with Vines and downed trees. At the time I didn't know of the significance of the rock, I just thought it was a cool bluff. We usually hang there and wait for Dave Taylor after we drop him on Thursday night ride.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Nothing in somerset county park rules that says you can't. NJ state parks it's allowed with a permit. Interestingly, their rules under smoking are very specific - no TOBACCO may be smoked at any time. The guy who wrote the article says he found "a borken [sic] piece of a square cobalt blue glass bottle" i.e. some kids' beer bottles

Come on now, the guys name is Herb......he ain't growing tobacco.

--------

Saratoga Springs Water.

1582114306270.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This marker is up on blue -

1618062886759.png

The NJ section of Rochambeau's route through CR

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions