Washington Crossing State Park

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start to to legalize more trails at Washington Crossing Park. This park has maybe 2 miles of single track that bikes are allowed on. There is maybe another 2 miles+ of a 8' wide grass "trail". There is at least another 10 miles of nice singletrack, slightly rolling terrain with mailny roots and some rocks. This park has major potentional but most of the trail are hiker/horses only.

I am a JORBA memeber, so I will post there too.

No trail map on the site, I will pick one up niext time I am near there.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/washcros.html#trail

Frank

Sasquatch
First of all, thank you for joining JORBA we appreciate your support.
The next step would be to contact the land manager (superintendent) and ask if there is a group that conducts trail maintenance at that location. If there is, get in touch with them and tell them that you would like to get involved. If there is no volunteer crew ask how to go about forming one. Is there signage indicating that the trails are all multi-use or are they segregated?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
There is signing on the bike trail that shows a bike (standard of NJ State Parks). Other trail heads have hiking only stickers and some no bike stickers. Some no bike stickers are along a few trails too.

The Kalmyk

There is signing on the bike trail that shows a bike (standard of NJ State Parks). Other trail heads have hiking only stickers and some no bike stickers. Some no bike stickers are along a few trails too.

Where in relation to the canal are these trails??? I thought the park was mostly on the P.A. side....I live close and would like to give the trails a ride

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Where in relation to the canal are these trails??? I thought the park was mostly on the P.A. side....I live close and would like to give the trails a ride

The majority of the park is actually on the jersey side. The park is bordered by NJ 29, Church St, CO 579 and CO 546. So North/Northeast of the canal (up the hill). Take the pedestrian bridge up and over 29. Follow the path through the field and over two roads and you will hit the green or red trail. Everything is out from there, stop at the ranger station and get a map. The stuff that bikes are aloud on is off the soccer field parking lot from CO 579 (about a mile North of the ranger station on your left on CO 579.

Do you know anything about the Bald-Pate area near here?

ArmyOfNone

what is JORBA. I think I feel like an ass for asking?

Here ya go...http://jorba.org/
miniature-donkey-0015.jpg
:D :D :D

Shaggz

A strong 7
nbull, jorba is the jersey off road bicycling association, and are the local "arm" of imba, the international mountain bike association. this organization is run by volunteers who are advocates for access issues and building & maintaining sustainable trails in NJ. long & short of it is they are the primary reason why we have access to so many great trails in this state. i would encourage you to get involved, and at the very least, show your support by becoming a member.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
JORBA is a powerful group that has been recognized by many land managers as a powerful force.

When we first met with the Naturalist from the D&R parks commission we had Jeff Mergler from JORBA alongside us. His presence solidified our intentions to expand mt biking in the park.

Once we got things going on a more legit basis at Six Mile they knew that we meant business and they loved the trail work that we completed.

Joining forces with JORBA would be your best bet.

In fact if you ride a mt bike in NJ you should be a member. I can promise that at least one park that you ride would be closed to mt biking without the hard work of the fine folks at JORBA.

Frank

Sasquatch
thanks guys

Our chapter heads have great relationships with land managers throughout the state which have solidified our position as a user group. Many years ago many parks, Allaire is a good example, were in danger of closure due to poor trail conditions. But the mtb community stepped up to the plate with sweat equity and the trail conditions improved greatly. But we need to continue our support of these parks. Thank you

Top Bottom