Wanted light for helmet.

one piece crank

...Even with those couple of issues I have had, I keep coming back for more.

Thanks. I'm taking notes in case I ever need a quick light purchase. I go a couple years before replacing a Magicshine battery. The last one (7800mah) is over a year old now and pretty close to holding the same charge duration, and the little batteries that came with the MS-Clones are also still kicking out ~1.5 hours duration.

Xler8

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thanks. I'm taking notes in case I ever need a quick light purchase. I go a couple years before repalcing a Magicshine battery. The last one (7800mah) is over a year old now and pretty close to holding the same charge duration, and the little batteries that came with the MS-Clones are also still kicking out ~1.5 hours duration.
Just to clarify, that is an external battery, correct?

It is tough to go back to external batteries when you use the all-in-one units.

one piece crank

Just to clarify, that is an external battery, correct?

It is tough to go back to external batteries when you use the all-in-one units.

Yes, all external battery packs. The big one is about 5-inches long and straps to the top tube. It has a short cord (as does my bar light) so there's not a lot of cable mess. To me it's worth it for the extra capacity and not having to charge often. But, you're right, the battery cord running from my camelback to my helmet is a little odd...

rlb

Yes, all external battery packs. The big one is about 5-inches long and straps to the top tube. It has a short cord (as does my bar light) so there's not a lot of cable mess. To me it's worth it for the extra capacity and not having to charge often. But, you're right, the battery cord running from my camelback to my helmet is a little odd...

Same here, cord for the bar light doesn't bother me much, but it sucks on the helmet!

TimBay

Man, this is some great info. Probably shouldve put it in the shop talk thread, but oh well. I'm def leaning toward corded for bar and non for helmet. Looks like theres a ton of options in various price ranges.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Man, this is some great info. Probably shouldve put it in the shop talk thread, but oh well. I'm def leaning toward corded for bar and non for helmet. Looks like theres a ton of options in various price ranges.
One thing people fall into is that they need the external battery for that one time a year they do a night ride longer that 2 hours. Look at the actual ride times you typically do an take that into consideration.

TimBay

One thing people fall into is that they need the external battery for that one time a year they do a night ride longer that 2 hours. Look at the actual ride times you typically do an take that into consideration.
This is true, though I sometimes worry about the have/not need vs need/not have scenario.

Currently I think I'm still leaning toward the bright eyes for bar and either l&m or nightrider for helmet. All budget friendly for my intro to riding with the lights off. I figure I can upgrade to the higher end stuff in the future with these always around as backups, if I want. Thanks for the lively discussion everybody!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
One thing people fall into is that they need the external battery for that one time a year they do a night ride longer that 2 hours.

This is true, though I sometimes worry about the have/not need vs need/not have scenario.

Wires are a pain in the ass. I prefer to carry extra self contained lights in my camelbak just in case, instead of using lights with beefier external batteries.

serviceguy

I just ordered a 1600 lumens Bright Eyes for $52.99, I don't usually ride at night but my solo rides tend to take longer than I expect and since days are getting shorter I decided to play safe. Will report back once I test it.

Last edited:

Wolfjon

I just ordered two of the Light & Motion urban SF and helmet mounts from the REI linked above. I will let you guys know what I think once I have a chance to give them a try. I also picked up a Lezyne 1500i on clearance at Sierra Trading post last night for $75 for my bars. I still need to pick up a handlebar light for my sons bike. So I will have a few different combos to review.

Top Bottom