Wanted: Easy single track for my 10 yr. old son

J

jhollens

Looking for some trails close to Bergen County to ride with my 10 yr. old son. Looking for some flowing single track. Any suggestions ?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
mmh. nothing "flowy" and single track close to Glen rock. Closest thing is Skyline & Ringwood, pretty rocky for a 10yr old (even for some adults :p)
The next closest "easiest" park would be Lewis Morris.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Looking for some trails close to Bergen County to ride with my 10 yr. old son. Looking for some flowing single track. Any suggestions ?

jim -

Check out Kittatinny SP on Rt. 206; although the parks that everyone's mentioned like Clayton, Allaire, and Mercer are great for newbie's, Kittatinny's a little closer than those southern Jersey parks, the trails are somewhat rocky but 'doable' even for a 10 y/o and if they are too tough for right now, the Sussex Branch rail trail runs smack through the middle.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Agree....There are flat out toooo many

wait a second, your big 29" wheel can't handle some roots??? You have front squish too! Sheesh!

In any case, Mercer and Clayton would both be quite a hike for a ride but both would be excellent for a youngster but Clayton is rolling up and down, so not flat.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I'd head up to Stewart or over to Kittatiny. Neither's that close but the smile he'll get from the buff singletrack will give you lots of conversation on the way back.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"

And jim if you want something that's REALLY close, just go to Saddle River Park, the Glen Rock section. Use the parking lot where the roadies begin their rides (by the tennis courts), start on the paved path and in only about 150 yds. look on the right and your see a maze of trails, not difficult, cut by the neighborhood kids. Impossible to lose your way because your almost always within sight of the asphalt path, these trails meander about for miles. Good for quick winter after work ride too...

Shaggz

A strong 7
There is a State Park along 9W North of the Lamont-Daugherty Earth Observatory (I think it is still called that) and just South of Piermont that has some trails. While they are not buff ST, it certainly is closer to you than most of the places recc'd in this thread. The trails should be manageable for your son and you will get some great views of the Hudson. Plus you can head into Piermont and get some ice cream and drool over the rigs at my Piermont Bikes, my former LBS.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
And jim if you want something that's REALLY close, just go to Saddle River Park, the Glen Rock section. Use the parking lot where the roadies begin their rides (by the tennis courts), start on the paved path and in only about 150 yds. look on the right and your see a maze of trails, not difficult, cut by the neighborhood kids. Impossible to lose your way because your almost always within sight of the asphalt path, these trails meander about for miles. Good for quick winter after work ride too...

that is true, not many trails, but at least it will give him the "taste" of dirt.
I took my kid on the trail-a-bike there, he loved the dirt, even the dead squirrel we found in the middle of one. There is a section with some dirt jumps and we rolled thru them, there are other trails I saw but didn't get a chance to try.
here
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5928575

ps. nice new avatar VelocityBoy :getsome:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
There used to be a small set of trails near the duck pond in Ridgewood.

If you head south on the paved bike path, almost to the end, they were back there. Flat and not a lot, but good for a rookie.

It has been 12 years since I've been there, so for all I know there are condos back there now.

TonyC

There used to be a small set of trails near the duck pond in Ridgewood.

If you head south on the paved bike path, almost to the end, they were back there. Flat and not a lot, but good for a rookie.

It has been 12 years since I've been there, so for all I know there are condos back there now.

They are still there. My boys love going up/down those dirt mounds. Also, like Velocity said if you continue down path go over 1st Bridge (mk left) then go over 2nd Bridge (mk left) to find those trails.. Also, before the 2nd Bridge you'll see a dirt path on your right. There are some local Bmx trails to keep your kids entertained.
I would try those first to see how your kids can handle them.

+1 on the Stewart recommendation. There are some sweet trails that aren't that difficult for the kids to enjoy. Plus from Bergen should take 1hr tops to get there.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ps. nice new avatar VelocityBoy :getsome:

ditto. that's why mary is my lady of pain. :D

if it were me taking my 10 year old, i'd go to lewis morris and start with the yellow trail where it enters by the rte. 24 lot. the section of single track that starts there and heads up (counter clockwise) towards where orange splits off (to the left) is about the smoothest you're going to find this side of a...um...sidewalk. BUT, it's still dirt, still pretty swoopy and still good. about the ONLY trail that i wouldn't take a 10 year old on there is the teal trail which, according to the little post sticking out of the ground, looks like is going to be re-routed (no pun intented) anyway.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
It's really a shame that Bergen County is so limitted for kids. I took my 10 yr old nephew to the Glen Rock Duck Pond trails for his first ride. He loved it, fell in a mud hole and all. On his second ride I took him to Ringwood but the hills were discouraging.

Now his Dad takes him to Jungle Habitat on the warthog trail, but getting up the hill to the trail is still discouraging for him. He does not ride much these days. :(

I too would recommend Kittatiny or Stewart, unfortunnately they are an hours drive away.

Top Bottom