Want to replace my Dual Control XTR 965's

kevindef

I want to replace my aging Dual control XTR 965 shifter/brake lever. I am thinking of getting either Avid Elixir CR's or a version of Hayes Stroker Brakes. Which would you guys get and why. It looks like the Avid's would be much easier to bleed, but I really don't know. I am also looking ate getting the new XTR Rapidfire shifters. Are they compatible with the older XTR 960 Rapid rise rear derailleur?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I want to replace my aging Dual control XTR 965 shifter/brake lever. I am thinking of getting either Avid Elixir CR's or a version of Hayes Stroker Brakes. Which would you guys get and why. It looks like the Avid's would be much easier to bleed, but I really don't know. I am also looking ate getting the new XTR Rapidfire shifters. Are they compatible with the older XTR 960 Rapid rise rear derailleur?

Are your DC's the disc brake version??

If so you can get pods and lever while using the existing calipers.

I have done it.

J_

kevindef

Yes, they are the disc brake version. I originally used XT 756 Brake levers with the XTR Calipers and used the older 952 Rapidfire XTR Shifters. I did that for a few months before I purchased the DC's.

Last edited:

kevindef

I have also looked at some Formula and Hope brakes. They also look REAL nice. I really don't have much tolerance for noise, howling etc. I spent a lot of time making sure my XTR 965 calipers were bled and shimmed properly to avoid any and all noise. I like the wheel to spin freely without rub. Noise from the brakes takes me out of a ride. I will usually cut a ride short and go home and try to eliminate the noise. Took me a while to get it down. So I guess what I am looking for is a brake that will fit that criteria within reason. I don't mind tinkering to get it within reason, but I do NOT want to go crazy with it either. Can anyone suggest a brake system that would be relatively noise free (willing to work at it) but good as far as braking power and modulation etc. Thanks!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I can't say enough about Magura Lousie Brakes.

Pretty light, super solid, nearly NO service needed, long pad life, NO toxic dot fluid.

Amazing warranty.

walter

Fourth Party
I can't say enough about Magura Lousie Brakes.

Pretty light, super solid, nearly NO service needed, long pad life, NO toxic dot fluid.

Amazing warranty.

I went with the Lousie's on J's recco and I will say they are probably my favorite brake so far. With a 180 mm up front, these things will literally lift my big butt off the seat if I lock the front wheel. Really good stuff.

RNG1

Thanks for the info, I am looking into upgrading my Hayes brakes will look into the Magura.

Top Bottom