Visitor from MI on Thanksgiving

S

SuperFads

Hey guys

I'll be staying in Northern NJ (Franklin Lakes) during Thanksgiving. I will arrive on Thursday early morning which makes it hard for me to join the annual T-day ride.
I'm interested in riding during the following days.
Any advise on where and what to expect? I would prefer somewhere close of where I'm staying since I won't be in the mood of driving after Wednesday. lol
Is there anybody willing to show me around?

A little about me, I'll be coming from Michigan, (if you are familiar, I ride most of SE trails / mmba.org) and I like intermmediate to technical trails. I can do night riding if there's anybody interested.
I'm looking forward to ride in NJ
Thanks

Fadi

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hey fadi-
i'm sure folks will be riding ringwood that weekend. in terms of proximity to franklin lakes, you're pretty much right there.

S

SuperFads

Thanks Bonefish, I'll keep an eye on the forum for some riding opportunities
How's Ringwood considered? How the ride will be during Fall? Is there more technical descriptions I can find online? From the pictures I can tell there's some rocky sections and might be slippery on the leaves.
One more thing, is it safe for beginners as well? I might bring my cousin who lives in the area and hook him up into mtn biking :)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
to be perfectly honest, i've never ridden ringwood. ever. i hear it's awesome but i live 15 minutes from five different parks so i have no real need to go there. i know a lot of folks here do though, so be patient. someone will chime in. i'm surprised no one has yet.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Ringwood is considered a techincal park. Lot's of rock gardens and it could be tricky with all the leaves. Also if you are not familiar with the park it is almost guaranteed that you will not find the must fun techy trails. Unfortunately this weekend is looking like I might not be able to ride at all. Hopefully somebody here will be able to show you around.

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
YO,
Welcome to Jerz
check the thread re: unofficial thanksgiving ride at waywayanda.
good mix of everything and a lot of folks will be there so the skill levels I am sure will vary.
Also on sunday @9am Jungle Habitat ride. mapquest Airport road in West Milford 07480
it is at the end of airport road just before the actual airport

Waywayanda is a state park so check their site for directions.

see you out there

S

SuperFads

Thanks Guys

Thanks guys for the advice, I feel like I'm within my extended Mtn Biking family. I'm looking forward to ride this weekend. :D I'll keep a close look on the forum. By the way, I'm bringing my young (Jerzy) cousin into Mtn Biking... :)

P.S: Is there any park entrance fee during these days? I don't want to get any tickets

rayder

ringwood

I'm tied up this weekend but I think rvcc.com does a group ride on weekends there. If you have a sense of dirction like me you could get lost. It is technical in some sections but alot of fun. Jungle habitat I think is a much smaller area less technical but still fun. Welcome to nj

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
I'm tied up this weekend but I think rvcc.com does a group ride on weekends there. If you have a sense of dirction like me you could get lost. It is technical in some sections but alot of fun. Jungle habitat I think is a much smaller area less technical but still fun. Welcome to nj

unfortunately RVCC is done with the group rides til spring time when they start back up.

walter

Fourth Party
Thanks guys for the advice, I feel like I'm within my extended Mtn Biking family. I'm looking forward to ride this weekend. :D I'll keep a close look on the forum. By the way, I'm bringing my young (Jerzy) cousin into Mtn Biking... :)

The question I am sure all the folks here are wondering, how did you come across MTBNJ?

S

SuperFads

Friday & Sunday ride opportunities

walter Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFads
Thanks guys for the advice, I feel like I'm within my extended Mtn Biking family. I'm looking forward to ride this weekend. I'll keep a close look on the forum. By the way, I'm bringing my young (Jerzy) cousin into Mtn Biking...

The question I am sure all the folks here are wondering, how did you come across MTBNJ?

I googled some trails near Franklin Lakes and came across the http://www.wmba.org/index.html. I contacted them and they told me there a good NJ mtn bike association. And since I'm a member of the Michigan Mountian Biking Association (mmba.org they have good forums and all kind of advices; Check it out) I liked this site because it does lay out the trails, directions, and description exactly what a person needs to get on the trails.

Alright, enough talking and let's talk about riding
My cousin and I will be riding tomorrow morning. I don't have any preferences other than a trail less than 20 maybe ~30 miles away from F. Lakes and beginner/intermediate. My cousin hasn't been out on the trail before yet.
Another question, is there any bike store around that is opened tomorrow and has bikes for rent? My cousin has a full rigid old bike but I would prefer to get him something better. I'm trying to get him a good bike so he won't forget his first ride. He's excited about the ride and he liked your website/forums.

Another ride opportunity,
I can ride alone without any restrictions on Sunday early morning on any technical trail. Is there anybody interested to show a visitor around? I can ride at a fast pace w/o any problems :)

Thanks guys for the support and I'm looking forward to ride in Jersey

Happy Thanksgiving

S

SuperFads

Ringwood Ride Friday Morning

I'll be riding Ringwood tomorrow with my cousin for couple of reasons. Proximity, saw a video posted online (so I expect how the technical sections are and I'm looking forward to attempt them w/o crashing) and if I get lost I might come across my uncle's place :D
I might be at the park between 9 and 10 AM. I have an 03 Honda Accord with Michigan Lic. Plate.
If anybody is going to be there and willing to show me around please PM me. I will check my messages before heading out to the trails.
Thanks guys for the support

S

SuperFads

Ringwood experience today

Hey guys,
I made it today to Ringwood at 1PM. we spent 1.5 hrs on the trail and rode a total of 1 hr. It was a nice experience and my cousin had a blast and a saddle soreness (rode on a rigid old heavy bike). I end up giving him some of my gears to make sure he has just enough equipments to ride confortably.
We rode on a lot of rocks, a little bit of trails and more rocks garden :D . I got lost (had been warned by reading some old forums) and got my way out through the help of some bikers. Thanks again.

The trail is not well marked and the leaves were covering most of the rocks which made it a difficult ride especially for a beginer rider in this cold weather.
Overall, it was a different experience than riding in MI. There, we have a lot of sand on climbs and at the bottom of the slopes (easy endo's).
If anybody is visiting SE MI and want to ride there let me know, I'll be happy to help.
Have a great winter riding all

Top Bottom