Virginia vs Vermont

PhD-irt

Previously Dapidude....
Try to choose between Kingdom Trails in VT or George Washington Nat Park outside Harrisonburg. Any thoughts? Kingdom is a little isolated whereas GW is by a bike friendly college town.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
what are the goals of this comparison, what are you searching for?

also, your next reply we need to know what dapidude comes from thx

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Virginia everyday!!! Climb climb then bomb that shit.

Vermont is also really really good but them mountains

PhD-irt

Previously Dapidude....
what are the goals of this comparison, what are you searching for?

also, your next reply we need to know what dapidude comes from thx

From my grad school days. DAPI is a fluorescent dye used to label DNA for microscopy. I was not thinking I would still use the email account a decade later.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Big timber brewery near slatyfork outfitters near where we stayed. Highly recommend staying there, slatyfork outfitters that is.
You will be near snowshoe also and if you poke around you might get to ride this years world cup course, xc and downhill.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Big timber brewery near slatyfork outfitters near where we stayed. Highly recommend staying there, slatyfork outfitters that is.
You will be near snowshoe also and if you poke around you might get to ride this years world cup course, xc and downhill.

Skip the XC course if it's the same as nats

roc

Try to choose between Kingdom Trails in VT or George Washington Nat Park outside Harrisonburg. Any thoughts? Kingdom is a little isolated whereas GW is by a bike friendly college town.
If you’re looking for some nightlife, then it’s gotta be Harrisonburg. I only rode places that my kids could handle, but it was still really fun. If you go to Harrisonburg, check out the trails at Hillandale park. Nothing very difficult, but really fun stuff. Harrisonburg is also an hour closer to jersey. If nightlife wasn’t in the question, then it would be a different story. Also check out massanutten, crazy good stuff there.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have ridden both inside the last year. Probably you can't go wrong with either choice. As others have said, I guess it depends what you are looking for. Here is what I would say:

Vermont if you are going solo, or don't really know the trails so well. It'll be easier to follow, find the good stuff, and it's pretty hard to pick a wrong direction. Chances of having a killer ride every day is damn near 100%.

Virginia if you are looking for more raw, remote riding. We went with a local guy who used to live in NJ and it was wonderful. He put together 2 excellent loops that we never would have found by ourselves. If you are solo, much higher chance of going astray, going up the wrong way, etc. If you know someone who can lead you around I think you can get a more epic ride down here.

I can give you 2 GPS loops of Virginia if you choose to go there. Vermont is pretty much "ride it all" in terms of KT.

onetracker

VA is more of a backcountry experience. Takes some planning and a good Purple Lizard map. Talk to Chris Scott or SBC to help you plan your trip.

Kingdom is more sorted and easy to arrive and ride.

Do both. That is my best advice ?and while you are at it, hit Pisgah and Rutland respectively.

Last edited:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Never been to VT but Harrisonburg never disappoints. Stokesville Lodge is a pretty cool place to camp out of. Hillndale is definitely great on your easy days.

xc62701

Between Massanutten, and the trails behind Stokesville Lodge you will have trails for days. If you literally want a trail for days look up the Massanutten Ring. That is supposed to be a monster. You can't beat the scene in Harrisonburg though. Lots of great eats, beers, and sun dresses.

PhD-irt

Previously Dapidude....
Between Massanutten, and the trails behind Stokesville Lodge you will have trails for days. If you literally want a trail for days look up the Massanutten Ring. That is supposed to be a monster. You can't beat the scene in Harrisonburg though. Lots of great eats, beers, and sun dresses.
I could use a new sundress.

Top Bottom