Vintage MTB resto: 1980's Ross Force 1/Mt Hood

JonF

There's some interesting tools in the back. We have threads for those here as well. One stop shop...
My buddy and I make some furniture on the side. I do the metalwork, he is the woodchuck. Here's a couple recent examples.

One of our popular waterfall style table with our InfinityBand base.
123_1_25-COLLAGE.jpg

And a modern changing table/dresser for my daughter.

IMG_20190527_112926-COLLAGE.jpg

JonF

Nice shiny new parts are starting to roll in! First one up, the brand new NOS Shimano tourney rear derailleur that's an exact replacement. I can't believe this is a 35+ y/o new in bag part. Course, after doing a little research, this wasn't the original oem spec derailleur. Original was a suntour AG like the front der still on the bike. Whatever, it's shiny and new, what else matters? :D

IMG_20200309_193509.jpg

Also got some replacement cranks, not new, but not wallowed out and far less overall scuffs. Should polish up nicely.

IMG_20200309_193650_1.jpg

JonF

Colder than a witches teat today so i hopped in the shop to clean up the replacement cranks. My original chainrings look ok, just grungy and the new cranks, like most, are scuffed up. Pic of replacements in prev post above.

I thought i could polish out the scuffs and nicks and so armed with and angle grinder with medium and fine unitized wheels, i got them smoothed out. From there i hit them with a series of 400, 600 and 1000 grit paper to buff out the swirls. Finally i chucked up a felt wheel and hit them with white rouge for a final polish to bring them back to an OEM luster.

Top is new crank after 1000 grit.
Middle is new crank after final polish.
Bottom is original crank scuffed to hell.
IMG_20200322_175259.jpg

Oh yeah, thats a nice shine.
IMG_20200322_175314.jpg

Bike is looking better already!
IMG_20200322_183912.jpg

JonF

The next item needing some restoration are the funky Shimano Adamas AX pedals. I'm torn how much time to put into them. They're weird and have zero traction but i understand these are actually "clips" style pedals (but i dont have that part). I think i'll clean them up, replace the bearings but not going crazy as i'm not sure i'll even mount them. They take 5/32" bearings which is yet *another* BB size i have to buy in addition to the others i already bought. 1/8 for the freewheel, 1/4 for rear hub and 3/16 for front hub. What's next? Haven't torn the headset apart, is there a 7/64" waiting for me next? lol

I dont know if they were the true originals, but i remember them being on the bike from day one when my father rode it. I have some MTB pedals i'll throw on there for actual riding and keep these for old timessake i guess. Maybe i can get some fun color matched 80's period correct mtb pedals, any suggestions?

IMG_20200322_184104.jpg

JonF

It's been a minute since i last worked on the old girl, but i'm happy to report i had finally received all the parts needed to put her back together and make her rideable.

Last thing i had done was take the wheels to a local shop, Second Life Bikes, to have them trued as best as possible. They were able to true them laterally, however, the rear hop couldn't be totally tuned out so its something i'll just live with unless a good set of gold ano Ukai's drops into my lap. I may grab a set of trued beater wheels to put the street tires on as i may use this to tow my daughter around when she's older.

I had agonized over what to do with the frame as there's definitely some wear from over the years, but no damage to speak of. I had considered going the cheap route and hand sanding with a rattle can + clear job. Spray Paints these days are decent and after curing are quite durable. I would have even been willing to get it powder coated. The think holding me back, other than the time and money, was the decals. There's not really any readily available and i wanted to keep that original look. In the end i decided to just clean up the paint a bit, wax it over and leave it be as "patina". She's been through a lot; many states, many miles and some adverse weather, but mostly indoor kept so minimal corrosion.

Item's replaced:
- New, old stock Rear derailleur sealed in bag
- chain
- tubes + tires
- brake cables
- shifter cables
- bottom bracket
- seat tube
- grips

Items R&R'd
- Wheels trued
- Maillard freewheel disassembled, lubed and new bearings
- new head bearings
- front and rear wheel bearings
- front derailleur
- Weirdo Adamas pedals, cleaned and new bearings
- crank arms and spider, degreased and polished out all the scuffs
- all small metal parts (brake calipers, fasteners, etc) degreased and polished

All in all a fun project in the name of nostalgia though it took quite a bit longer than i had thought. Figuring out how the parts on these bikes are put together, servicing things that are no longer easily available (or at all), and cleaning and polishing away the decades of grime, scuffs and tarnish. Without further adiu, here's the cleanest she'll ever be:

IMG_20200525_171621.jpg

IMG_20200525_171630.jpg

IMG_20200525_171924.jpg

IMG_20200525_171751.jpg

IMG_20200525_171737.jpg

Dingo

Wow! That turned out great. Good move on keeping the paint original, it tells the story of all your memories on the bike.

I have a 1974 Raleigh super course, bought it new with grass cutting money. Has a few scuffs/scratches but each one has a story.
Will probably bury me with it by my side.

JonF

Thanks, i appreciate it! It does have a story to tell, though my wife didn't seem interested in hearing about it. ? ?

I will say that the bike was fairly easy to work on. Nothing was overly complicated and everything seemed to be well made and serviceable back in the day. The only things that needed replacing were because of age, excess wear or were frankly just cheaper to replace.

Later this year, i'll add on a Shotgun or Thule Yepp style front seat so i can take the little critter out for rides. She loves hikes in the chest carrier so i'm sure she'll love easy rides around the resevoir.

Final remarks: WOW are disk brakes one of the best things to ever happen to cycling! I mean, these pads are old, but still, its tough to even coax a skid on smooth asphalt. lol

Dingo

Yeah on the brakes! Mine has weinman center pulls. They were the hot stuff back in the day. Still have the original pads.
Squeeze the levers with all your mite, and in about 50 feet it will slow down and maybe come to a complete stop. Been like that for 46 yrs lol

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Try the salmon colored kool stop pads. They are a big improvement from stock pads.

Fire Lord Jim

Bringing this thread back to life. Thursday I bought a 1984 Ross Force-1. I am cleaning up what little dirt it has.

Attachments

• PXL_20201023_211604167.jpg
    PXL_20201023_211604167.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 162
  • PXL_20201023_211617232.jpg
    PXL_20201023_211617232.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 159
  • PXL_20201023_211533512.jpg
    PXL_20201023_211533512.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 160
  • PXL_20201023_211701535.jpg
    PXL_20201023_211701535.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 164

JonF

Ever since restoring this bike, i hadn't really had time to use it other than a few pedals around the property.

Well this bike has recently found its new purpose in life as a something that my daughter and I can experience the joys of cycling and adventure together. As a simple, steel framed bike, its the perfect host for a rear mounted seat for a young toddler and so I picked up a Burley so she can ride along with mama and papa.

We've only had 1 good ride out at the park, but she absolutely loves it. Getting outside, exploring the sights and sounds and seeing all the things out there in the world is fascinating for a child her age.

image0.jpeg

She is very communicative, though not much verbally yet, however, we have taught her some sign language and one of favorite signs is "more". Here she is saying "less stopping, more riding papa!"

image1.jpeg

mfennell

She is very communicative, though not much verbally yet, however, we have taught her some sign language and one of favorite signs is "more". Here she is saying "less stopping, more riding papa!"
My daughter was the same way. We still laugh about the trip to Storybook Land and one of the rides. More! More! More!

Great thread that I missed the first time. My first MTB frame, a 1994 GT Karakoram, is still in occasional neighborhood use by a friend. Sometime around '99 or so, he bought a way-too-small used MTB. I gave him the frame and swapped the parts over, then gave his frame to another friend. He has promised it will go back to me eventually, to hang on my wall I suppose.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Was great to see this classic restored. I also utilized my vintage mountain bike to haul the kids in tow. Then later on put it back to its original intended use. Love the gold and black color combo. Reminds me of an early 80s 280zx that I had with the gold package.

Top Bottom