Vintage floor speakers Vandersteen Model 2

come on your freaking handle is @Soundguy ...

anyway, yeah it definitely needs a new surround, on account of Screwdriver > Foam.
Vandersteen doesn't sell them, but you can buy an aftermarket... which is probably what i'm going to do at this point and then sell them on Craigslist bump it back up to $200
If you weren’t trying to sell them I’d say just seal the hole with silicone. When I was a dumb teenager with bump in the trunk this is what we did all the time. Because bass frequencies don’t need a ton of articulation you really just need it to hold together without buzzing so it can move air.

P
Update:
Found a minty 9090db 125 watts per channel. Plan is to re-cap it and upgrade the known trouble maker transistors
damn. That’s a nice piece- where’d you find if you don’t mind.

Please post pics of that pure 70’s audio sex in one of these threads.

P

damn. That’s a nice piece- where’d you find if you don’t mind.

Please post pics of that pure 70’s audio sex in one of these threads.
I was searching everywhere, ebay craiglist fb marketplace, audio sites. A friend who goes to estate sales sent me to a site that had a search feature. Ended up bidding on line for it. It looked in really great shape, original owner had passed. I was willing to go high because it was local pick up in long island. No dealing with shipping and possible damage. Inside it is mint, no repairs appear to have been done, not a single scratch or mark anywhere. It seems to play well, but really needs new electrolytic caps and all the contacts cleaned. This was my goal to have a restoration project. I will get some pics up during the disassembly and repair. There sure is something cool about these old receivers, just the way the look and light up, you dont have that with the newer black boxes. I recently rebuilt my 1978 JVC 401, (I bought brand new)put a ton of new parts in, along with modern op amps to replace IC's. The sound is better than ever. Thanks to youtube and the 'net there is a ton of how to info available. Even splurged for a solder station and desoldering gun.

I was searching everywhere, ebay craiglist fb marketplace, audio sites. A friend who goes to estate sales sent me to a site that had a search feature. Ended up bidding on line for it. It looked in really great shape, original owner had passed. I was willing to go high because it was local pick up in long island. No dealing with shipping and possible damage. Inside it is mint, no repairs appear to have been done, not a single scratch or mark anywhere. It seems to play well, but really needs new electrolytic caps and all the contacts cleaned. This was my goal to have a restoration project. I will get some pics up during the disassembly and repair. There sure is something cool about these old receivers, just the way the look and light up, you dont have that with the newer black boxes. I recently rebuilt my 1978 JVC 401, (I bought brand new)put a ton of new parts in, along with modern op amps to replace IC's. The sound is better than ever. Thanks to youtube and the 'net there is a ton of how to info available. Even splurged for a solder station and desoldering gun.
That’s awesome.
I have a perfectly adequate set up, but still have the itch for something audiophile quality.
Estate sales probably are a good place to check.
I would gladly climb the learning curve to resto something nice like that.

DId anyone here go to the Stereo Shows that used to be in the Penn Hotel across the street from MSG? I used to go with my father back in the 70's. They used each hotel room for a different manufacturer and you'd just go fom room or to room getting blown away by amazing setups. I remember being there in 77 or 78 when almost every room had the theme from Star Wars cranking.

DId anyone here go to the Stereo Shows that used to be in the Penn Hotel across the street from MSG? I used to go with my father back in the 70's. They used each hotel room for a different manufacturer and you'd just go fom room or to room getting blown away by amazing setups. I remember being there in 77 or 78 when almost every room had the theme from Star Wars cranking.
I heard of the shows, that was high end audio, too expensive for this poor teenager. In the 80's I had a little more money. My first real high end speakers were accustat electrostatic. Had to sell due to divorce, and lack of space to set them up properly.

I heard of the shows, that was high end audio, too expensive for this poor teenager. In the 80's I had a little more money. My first real high end speakers were accustat electrostatic. Had to sell due to divorce, and lack of space to set them up properly.
My father was really into it. "Forced" me to build my first Dynaco amp, pre-amp and tuner when I was 14 and just wanted a stereo like all my friends.

My father was really into it. "Forced" me to build my first Dynaco amp, pre-amp and tuner when I was 14 and just wanted a stereo like all my friends.
I built many Heathkits when I was a kid. Also built a Hafler 220 amp to power up the accustats. Those dynaco's are worth money today. David Hafler was part of Dynaco back in the day. I enjoy building the kits, way better than building a stupid car model, when your done it just collects dust.

I have a few HiFi items (some older, some newer) i inherited from my father that i want to sell in the proper channels, does anyone have suggestions? Though some have original boxes, they arent in great shape and would fear they not survive shipping. Is there a more localized target audience?

Audio Research Tube amp and preamp (dont have model #'s handy, 1980's era)
VPI turntable
Infinity RS2b speaders
Infinity RS3b speakers
Magnum Dynaudio 2 ch receiver
Oppo 4k disk player
Cal Audio cd player
and a massive pile of cables

I have a few HiFi items (some older, some newer) i inherited from my father that i want to sell in the proper channels, does anyone have suggestions? Though some have original boxes, they arent in great shape and would fear they not survive shipping. Is there a more localized target audience?

VPI turntable
Infinity RS2b speaders
Infinity RS3b speakers
Oppo 4k disk player
Cal Audio cd player
FB marketplace had a lot of local items when I was searching. Shipping is a PIA, and the risk of damage. I'm not a member over there, so it was not an option for me.

I built many Heathkits when I was a kid. Also built a Hafler 220 amp to power up the accustats. Those dynaco's are worth money today. David Hafler was part of Dynaco back in the day. I enjoy building the kits, way better than building a stupid car model, when your done it just collects dust.
All our old Dynaco is still in my parents basement. He also had a bunch of Perreuex. I have my Hafler in our spare bedroom. Had to give it up since my wife couldn’t figure it out. Using a Marantz AV receiver for the family now.

VPI turntable
Infinity RS2b speaders
Infinity RS3b speakers
Oppo 4k disk player
Cal Audio cd player
Craigslist is also a good option for local pick ups.
Research values and post up, I’m sure lots of AV nerds comb through those listings.

damn i want one of those receivers, you guys have a lot of cool stuff.

i'm only ditching the Vandersteens because my father gave me a pair of (~$2000ish?) Focal / JM Lab speakers, they have a smaller footprint and different sound signature than the Vandersteens, and i'm literally only doing any critical listening in my pretty small room (spare bedroom now home office). but my receiver is a low to mid-tier marantz. not crap, but nothing special either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom