Vietnam & Other Area Trails

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Brought a bike with me while attending a conference in Boston. Hit Milford/Vietnam on the way back. I got about 14 miles in but only scratched the surface. Didn't ride as much of the hardcore/stunt-y trails as I had my hardtail (FS would have been better suited if I could have brought it).

The majority of trails there are a mix of Stephens and Sourlands, without the climbs. Lots of rocky sections, flowy sections and places to play on the rocks. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

I used this map to navigate. The trails themselves aren't marked consistently, so it helps to have a GPS to cross-reference against.

My GPS track here...

VietnamMilfordMA_zpse01aabc7.jpg

BlackBean

Brought a bike with me while attending a conference in Boston. Hit Milford/Vietnam on the way back. I got about 14 miles in but only scratched the surface. Didn't ride as much of the hardcore/stunt-y trails as I had my hardtail (FS would have been better suited if I could have brought it).

The majority of trails there are a mix of Stephens and Sourlands, without the climbs. Lots of rocky sections, flowy sections and places to play on the rocks. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

I used this map to navigate. The trails themselves aren't marked consistently, so it helps to have a GPS to cross-reference against.

My GPS track here...

VietnamMilfordMA_zpse01aabc7.jpg

Prufessaaaaaah! Now u also waaz a Vetenarian! Pleez fix me dogh.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Going to tag @phillychris498 here.

Heading up to Milford, MA for work next week. My hotel is a .9 mile bike ride from Vietnam.

Hook me up with 2-3 Strava loops to follow. I know you know this place!

phillychris498

Going to tag @phillychris498 here.

Heading up to Milford, MA for work next week. My hotel is a .9 mile bike ride from Vietnam.

Hook me up with 2-3 Strava loops to follow. I know you know this place!
Haha. Vietnam is the one mtb spot in mass that I didn’t ride often at all. I’ve literally ridden it once. But I know plenty of people that ride it religiously, so I can get you some loops.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
A lot Vietnam is on the free ride spectrum. I prefer Sutton state park, it’s all rock features but not as risky. Unfortunately it’s not on Trailforks for some reason, and only par 5 and the TT trail are on mtbproject, which are the milder trails. Although the trails are well marked inside the park. Lots and lots of rollers.
You’d also fairly close to diamond hill where they just had an enduro race.
There’s so much building in that area I can’t keep up with the new trails.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good stuff, appreciate the input.

I have actually ridden Vietnam about 900 years ago with @woody back when he lived up there and I was on a full rigid Trek jackhammer. I remember it being technical.

I watched the BKXC video of Vietnam and it looked pretty cool. Being so close I'll check it out for sure. The other places are pretty close too. I should get to ride 2-3 times while up there. We'll see what shakes out.

Jmann

I’m sure you’ll find some great stuff. I grew up a half hour from there, never have enough time to ride all the new stuff when I’m visiting. If your coming up 95, woody hill in westerly is supposed to be really good. It’s fairly new, I’m hoping to ride it soon.

xc62701

I was there in 2018? I saw a lot of the big stuff but stayed in my lane. Plenty of other good riding in there where you don't have to fear for your life.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m sure you’ll find some great stuff. I grew up a half hour from there, never have enough time to ride all the new stuff when I’m visiting. If your coming up 95, woody hill in westerly is supposed to be really good. It’s fairly new, I’m hoping to ride it soon.

Woody Hill looks good on TF. I will keep that in mind for sure!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Curious if you know anything about Woody Hill. This looks really interesting on TF.

phillychris498

@Norm , this is my plug for making the pilgrimage to either Lynn Woods or School Street up in North Shore Massachusetts while you're up there. Vietnam has some of the spiney/rollercoaster-y riding like northshore, but not nearly as crazy as Lynn or School Street.

Will you have to drive over an hour on 95 in one direction, risking life avoiding massholes going wicked fast (like, 90 in a 55, dyude)? No doubt. But I've ridden a ton of parks, and Lynn and School Street are my top 2 all time.

Jmann

Curious if you know anything about Woody Hill. This looks really interesting on TF.
Not much. I was talking to a rider from the area, asking him what he usually rides, and it was the same stuff I usually ride (diamond hill, Lincoln woods, Sutton) but he said to check out woody hill. Supposedly it’s newish and really fun. I’m hoping to check it out next time I’m up there. I’ve ridden Burlingame nearby in the past and it’s meh, so I usually don’t ride in that part of the state. Big river is ok but it’s basically allaire. Lincoln woods is fun but confusing.

As @phillychris498 said Lynn is awesome but not always convenient.

Either way there’s tons of good riding. The area below Worcester was basically Shelbyville when I was growing up, now there’s tons of stuff on Trailforks, and everything I’ve ridden has been good.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@phillychris498
@Jmann

I have ridden Lynn woods in the past but I have to say that my memory of it is not as a gnarly place. Though I may be mis-remembering Middlesex Fells as Lynn woods. You know I was drinking a bit more back then, among other things. So I may be mistaken.

Things of note:

1. I am literally in a hotel .9 miles from Vietnam so it's sort of a no-brainer to hit it
2. My work HQ is in Hopkinton so I will be up there again, probably a lot in the future
3. All my clients are in the Boston area, one in Chelmsford which is a likely trip later this summer
4. This short trip probably does not afford a trip up to Lynn plus the other place, but I did add it to my travel map for future reference

Check out this description of a trail in Woody Hill:

Top Bottom