Vietcong groundhogs.

ellbiddy

So I took a moderate-slow paced ride through 6MR today and it was a blast, at least till I crossed over to the canal side. First off, the gopher made another attempt at my life by crashing into my front wheel again, this time I saw him run a good 5 seconds from the farm fields in a straight line and I kept saying "no way" and just as the last "No..." hit he burst through the brush and into my wheel wiping me out when I was going pretty fast...

I got up recomposed myself and went back to pedal mashing and I hit this little bridge and I wanted to be cool and hop off early to cut the corner so I did and when I landed, expecting it to be land, it was a vietcong death trap taken straight from some sort of movie. I fell like 4 feet into a creek while tearing through brush and thorns. The only thing this lacked was spikes at the bottom to impale me when I hit and maybe some sort of cobra waiting for me. :mad2: it took me a while to figure out how to get up and out because my feet were still clipped in and my legs were pinned by thorns, but overall fun run ;)

Some data from the run:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6426783 I split my going to vs return rides ;p

On a side note, does anyone know why the data reported by Garmin Training Center are sometimes pretty different from motionbased? Including average speeds and distances?

Last edited:

ellbiddy

It's not even consistent as to which is faster/shorter it flip flops. It even happens when I run with my 405

Wobbegong

I noticed the same thing. Times, speeds, avg. dont always match.

Also, try and hook up with us on a group ride. I was looking at your route and your missing some good sections of the twisties.

Madness

Damnit I have a conference call at 6:30 tomorrow. I will be out of the woods before you guys even get there. I am going to do the whole loop around 3-3:30pm. Is Weds the official group ride night now? I haven't really seen anything posted if it is.

Wobbegong

Damnit I have a conference call at 6:30 tomorrow. I will be out of the woods before you guys even get there. I am going to do the whole loop around 3-3:30pm. Is Weds the official group ride night now? I haven't really seen anything posted if it is.

Usually wednesday nights has a group or two going out. The Halters crew usually rides later after the shop closes at 7.

ellbiddy

I noticed the same thing. Times, speeds, avg. dont always match.

Also, try and hook up with us on a group ride. I was looking at your route and your missing some good sections of the twisties.

I purposely miss the stuff on canal side and go around usually for whatever reason, mostly because I want to keep my ride time a little more manageable. Anything else I miss is my ignorance ;p, I'd be more than happy to ride I just don't seem to ever have time when everyone else does :/

Btw whoever showed up as I was leaving Monday around 8 am...you got a good laugh out of me showing up without a front wheel and then speeding off to get it all I heard was "damn it!" coming out of the car :rofl:

Edit: On a side night I'd love to get a regular group going at the reeaally early morning hours like 5:30, 6:30 latest I have a tough time judging my "ability" because I only ride with friends who want to "get back into it" and go with me so their pace is awfully slow, so I never know what group to attach to so I've always been a bit hesitant.

Last edited:

sixseven

I purposely miss the stuff on canal side and go around usually for whatever reason, mostly because I want to keep my ride time a little more manageable. Anything else I miss is my ignorance ;p, I'd be more than happy to ride I just don't seem to ever have time when everyone else does :/

Btw whoever showed up as I was leaving Monday around 8 am...you got a good laugh out of me showing up without a front wheel and then speeding off to get it all I heard was "damn it!" coming out of the car :rofl:

Edit: On a side night I'd love to get a regular group going at the reeaally early morning hours like 5:30, 6:30 latest I have a tough time judging my "ability" because I only ride with friends who want to "get back into it" and go with me so their pace is awfully slow, so I never know what group to attach to so I've always been a bit hesitant.

I have this week and the following week off and am in the same unknown ability boat...you good for Thursday or Friday morning this week? I had a blast there today!

sixseven

at 5:30 or 6:30 I would say I am free as a bird...any time after that same thing. I would be up for a super early ride, say 5:30 thursday? I am pedaling 11 miles to get there so give 10 minutes handicap...
all good let me know, any other takers for this one?

ellbiddy

5:30 it is, I don't know how big of a group we're going to get leaving a a time like that heh, if you're close I could swing by and save you the ride there. I'm in North Brunswick unless of course you like the ride there :p

Edit: Just saw under your avatar that you're in HP, that's not too bad let me know if you want me to come grab you and save you a road ride ;)

Last edited:

Wobbegong

J,

I'm going to try to make it. Got my new Eastons on. :D I have the bike packed but I might get stuck in a meeting. Hopefully I'll be there. If not I might make it for Mex. :p

Tim

I may not make it tonight either. Pre-audit work is going late tonight. I'll try my best but dont wait for me if I'm not there...

sixseven

5:30 it is, I don't know how big of a group we're going to get leaving a a time like that heh, if you're close I could swing by and save you the ride there. I'm in North Brunswick unless of course you like the ride there :p

Edit: Just saw under your avatar that you're in HP, that's not too bad let me know if you want me to come grab you and save you a road ride ;)

ellbiddy, I am not going to make it tomorrow. I was investigating a squeel coming from my front brake and after taking it apart and cleaning it all I reassemble and gave the wheel a spin to center it up. I readjusted it and somehow managed to get my middle finger caught in the rotor while it was spinning. It took a nice hack thru the nail and almost to the tip, big chunk of flesh and nail hanging in the breeze...I almost passed out looking at it.

Its all still attached but I am pretty sure I will loose that end of the nail. Going to give it a few days off the brakes and let it heal a bit.

Hopefully we can hit an early morning ride next week if you are available.

Maybe a road ride would have been safer tonight.:p My middle finger none the less, maybe some bad Karma penalty for an errant bird flip some time ago.

ellbiddy

ellbiddy, I am not going to make it tomorrow. I was investigating a squeel coming from my front brake and after taking it apart and cleaning it all I reassemble and gave the wheel a spin to center it up. I readjusted it and somehow managed to get my middle finger caught in the rotor while it was spinning. It took a nice hack thru the nail and almost to the tip, big chunk of flesh and nail hanging in the breeze...I almost passed out looking at it.

Its all still attached but I am pretty sure I will loose that end of the nail. Going to give it a few days off the brakes and let it heal a bit.

Hopefully we can hit an early morning ride next week if you are available.

Maybe a road ride would have been safer tonight.:p My middle finger none the less, maybe some bad Karma penalty for an errant bird flip some time ago.

That really sucks, hope it heals well! I'm prepping to head out soon. Waiting for the sun to come out ;p

sixseven

That really sucks, hope it heals well! I'm prepping to head out soon. Waiting for the sun to come out ;p

How was it out there this morning? Hope you had a good one. Healing up here, hoping to get out this weekend if my finger is still attached.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions