vermont mountain bike festival.com

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Any idea what the trails will be like? And how long to get up the from where we live?

Christine and I leave for Florida the Monday after this festival, so it would be pretty tight, schedule-wise, but not impossible.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Chris,

My buddy owns a B&B up there in Waitsfield ( http://www.wilderfarminn.com/ ) so I've been up there a few times. The riding is very good. Some fast & flowy, some more techy stuff & a fair amount of climbing depending on the spot. Lots of options within a 1/2 hour or so from Waterbury. The drive is 5 plus hrs.,worth it IMO.

don

Ask Mergs about those trails - I think he's done Perry Hill - I know he's hit a lot fo the stuff up there. Check out MTBR.com and go to the VT section - there should be some pics of those places.

I've done a bunch of riding in the Stowe area - I've been going up since college in 1988. There is plenty of good stuff and the riders there are off the scale in many ways. They'll kick your ass going up, down, and sideways. Like I've said before - it's in the water and the air up there.

And Stowe and Waterbury are beautiful areas (I was just up in Stowe this past weekend 4wheeling) and there is plenty of non-bike things to do if you are going up with you girlfriend/wife/family. Lots of good restaurants, sites, and activities.

I would defintely go if I had the time. I'll be up there in August for a week with the family to get my Stowe area fix.

don

I almost forgot - Stowe has a dope MTB park they have had going on the 3rd year this season. My son and I got some runs there after wheelin' on Sat.

sean_park_berm.jpg

sean_park.jpg

don_park_opphip.jpg

eric_series.jpg

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Any idea what the trails will be like? And how long to get up the from where we live?

Christine and I leave for Florida the Monday after this festival, so it would be pretty tight, schedule-wise, but not impossible.

I am thinking that we can't loose for terrain. The luck lays with the guide that we run into.

We met 2 kids at Pedros 4 years ago and we ride with them every year. Thay both live a mile from the site. That was luck.

J_

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's better to be lucky than good.

I suggest going pantless.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
On Sunday they are promoting a ride at Hinesberg Town Forest. http://www.fotwheel.org/hinesburg.php

These trails are the meaning of single track. Built into the side of Texas Hill, you will find 15+ miles of pure ear to ear smiles. I usaully get there at least once a year. I used to live on Texas Hill Rd (some 30 years ago), and my Dad still does. So if you go, stop by Thunder Drive look for the A-Frame style house with a lot of stuff around the garage (Vermonters) and ask for a beer and shot.

This section of trails also hooks up with Sleepu Hollow.
http://www.skisleepyhollow.com/mountainbiking.html
The connector is not marked (eventually runs into Yoda trail), but anyone riding there would know it. FYI - Sleepy is pay to ride at an honor box, I think its like 5 or 6 bucks. But they keep the trails in good shape.

Getting to Waterbury is bit of a pain, because of its position off of I89.
I would recommend Thruway to the Northway (I87 the whole way). Then take the Essex ferry across Lake Champlain. Rt 7 to 89 head south. About 5 5 1/2 hours depending on how you drive and the ferry (you can reserve a spot if you know when you'll get there).

Burlington is great town to stay; home of Magic Hat Brewery, Burton and a main street (Church St) that can occupy anyone for an afternoon of shops and pubs. 25 - 30 miles from W-bury. 15 - 20 miles from Hinesberg.

I would luv to get there for this event, but I have the Mt Washington hill climb that weekend. Maybe if it goes Saturday, I'll head over. If I do I will be at HTF on Sunday morning.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Don's right, I love it there.

Hinesburg and Sleepy Hollow are excellent. Hit them if you can. Guided rides, all the better. Saves time getting lost, instant access to the goodies.

Perry Hill in Waterbury is arguably the best in the area, some amazing stuff out behind IRide Bikes in Stowe too.

VT just kills it.

They're 10 years ahead of us, in trail design, access, flow... but we're doing lots of hands-on research and bringin it back to Jersey. :)

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Ask Mergs about those trails - I think he's done Perry Hill - I know he's hit a lot fo the stuff up there. Check out MTBR.com and go to the VT section - there should be some pics of those places.

I've done a bunch of riding in the Stowe area - I've been going up since college in 1988. There is plenty of good stuff and the riders there are off the scale in many ways. They'll kick your ass going up, down, and sideways. Like I've said before - it's in the water and the air up there.

And Stowe and Waterbury are beautiful areas (I was just up in Stowe this past weekend 4wheeling) and there is plenty of non-bike things to do if you are going up with you girlfriend/wife/family. Lots of good restaurants, sites, and activities.

I would defintely go if I had the time. I'll be up there in August for a week with the family to get my Stowe area fix.

Don it still makes me smile thinking about JD riding that Evil Imp. with the non indexed shifter... switching between what he called his "low" and "high gear", and just -killing it-. I'm on an light XC bike at the time, and he's climbing up everything and when he descends he's gone. Poof!

There are some scary lines on Perry Hill, mainly because if a mm of water gets on those exposed, mossy covered rocks you are a dead man :)

The new guys at IRide are super cool as well.

Top Bottom