Vacation time

walter

Fourth Party
Mrs. walter got a promotion a while back and is treating the family to a well deserved vacation. Things have been a bit hectic in our lives over the last few years and well, it will be nice to get away. She's taking us to Punta Cana, which is on the eastern side of the Dominican Republic and I was wondering if any of you have been there. Any tips, suggestions, ideas, etc. will be greatly appreciated. It will also be my 4 year old daughters first plane ride, so if any of you with kids have traveled by plane, any tips for that as well will be cool.

The brouchure says "mountain biking near by" so I am going to see what this entails, maybe I can do a bit of international riding.

Thanks, I will be thinking of you all as I am drinking beers in the swim up bar.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
spanish will do you little good there. dominicans speak an eloquent mixture of bad spanish and gibberish. and those are the words of a dominican girl i used to date.

walter

Fourth Party
spanish will do you little good there. dominicans speak an eloquent mixture of bad spanish and gibberish. and those are the words of a dominican girl i used to date.

Nice, hopefully after drinking and roasting in the sun, I will make my own gibberish. Did you have any issues bringing your gps with you to Ireland? I assume you just put it in your regular luggage, I may bring mine in case I can get some riding in.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I visited Punta Cana about 7 yrs ago, so probably a lot has changed since.
The airport was a couple of "palapas" (those grass huts thingies), seriously.
I didn't get out of the resort much since everything was included....drank a lot of PRESIDENTE beer, which might not be the best beer but that was all they had.
I visited a small market outside the hotel and that was it...I wasn't into MTB yet so I didn't bother. I only did sea kayaking...the beaches were really nice.
I hear now there is a lot of Kite Surfing and Wind Surfing down there.
Enjoy!

ah, and kids on planes....4 yrs should be fine. bring her a DVD with her favorite movies, some books and her favorite doll.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Nice, hopefully after drinking and roasting in the sun, I will make my own gibberish. Did you have any issues bringing your gps with you to Ireland? I assume you just put it in your regular luggage, I may bring mine in case I can get some riding in.

i had it, turned off of course, in my carryon. no way in hell i was trusting it in my checked luggage. if they question it, just tell them it's too expensive to risk in checked luggage. they most likely wont though. motion based has a few tracks where people have run their gps while flying a commercial airliner.

D

DANSPANK

I took my gps to Switzerland when I was there back in March - no problems.

I was in the DR a while back too. At a resort. If you haven't tried it and get the opportunity then definitely try SCUBA - very cool. You may get free lessons in the pool and then have the ability to go out with one of the dive masters to a nearby reef - very cool!

PatrickBrown

Walt, where are you staying? I went and stayed at secrets excellence a year ago.... good times.

make sure at the swim up bar you ask for some " Mama Juana"

dont be scared of the bottle that has sticks and stuff in it. the drink is hard and good. our resort was all inclusive, and it seemed like all the booze was weak. mama juana was the only thing that kept me from staying sober

Pat

Not So Fast

Ear Planes

My son sufferred onhis first flight. The air pressure really bothered him. We tried a product I think its called "ear planes" the next time he flew and he did much better. The product seems to reduce the pressure in the ear. Try looking for it at the Rite Aid or CVS.

walter

Fourth Party
Walt, where are you staying? I went and stayed at secrets excellence a year ago.... good times.

make sure at the swim up bar you ask for some " Mama Juana"

dont be scared of the bottle that has sticks and stuff in it. the drink is hard and good. our resort was all inclusive, and it seemed like all the booze was weak. mama juana was the only thing that kept me from staying sober

Pat

Holy crap, its Pat

Pat, we are staying at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana, I will be sure to ask for Mama Juana. Did you guys do anything outside of the resort, I am getting some mixed reviews, espicially from some of the Dominican folks I work with. Some say go out and explore, others tell me not to leave the resort. Anyway, thanks for the info, good to hear from you.

walter

Fourth Party
My son sufferred onhis first flight. The air pressure really bothered him. We tried a product I think its called "ear planes" the next time he flew and he did much better. The product seems to reduce the pressure in the ear. Try looking for it at the Rite Aid or CVS.

Hey, thanks for the tip, I will keep an eye out for them. It may be a good idea to have them just in case.

thanks again

PatrickBrown

Holy crap, its Pat

Pat, we are staying at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana, I will be sure to ask for Mama Juana. Did you guys do anything outside of the resort, I am getting some mixed reviews, espicially from some of the Dominican folks I work with. Some say go out and explore, others tell me not to leave the resort. Anyway, thanks for the info, good to hear from you.

holy crap its Pat....

yeah man I'm still alive, still around, been doing a bit of vacationing ourselves.... went to vegas for a week, then back for a week then I flew to ft lauderdale for some audi training..... which I'm still at right now.

we went off the resort for a couple hours, on an atv tour for about 2 hours. we were told by friends at home, as well as DR locals... to stay on the resort.

after you get back, lets hook up for some rides......

Top Bottom