V Brakes?

Mongoose Rider

I was just curious what "v brakes" means. I was under the impression that v brakes were standard rim-brakes but I found on my bike that the brake levers say v brakes on themn but I have disc brakes.... It's a new bike with all original parts.

Thanks..

ArmyOfNone

Not sure what v brake means but your mechanical disk brakes use v brake levers. thats why you have em'

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
im pretty sure v brake just describes the shape the arms of the brakes make. Mechanical disc use v brake levers because they pull more cable per pull of lever than other levers

BiknBen

Mongoose Rider said:
I was just curious what "v brakes" means. I was under the impression that v brakes were standard rim-brakes but I found on my bike that the brake levers say v brakes on them but I have disc brakes....

I believe V-brakes get their name because of the long arms angled away from each other in the shape of the letter V (when seen from the front). V-Brakes require the use of a V-Brake compatible brake lever. These levers pull a higher ratio of cable as the lever is pulled. The disk brakes on your bike are designed to be used with V-Brake levers.

There are many types of Rim brakes. V-Brakes just happen to be the most recent design. They may also be the last now that Discs are available.

Other types of Rim brakes include:
Cantilever = older MTB and current cyclo-cross bikes
Single-pivot = Older road/touring bikes
Dual-Pivot = Newer road bikes
U-brake = Older BMX

bobkennelly

You are correct sir, 4th at LM we-oo.
On my cross bike, I got V brakes, they stop me quickly in NYC. Hope to see you soon on some trail...

Bobke

Top Bottom