v-brakes vs disc brakes

F

FallGirl1430

This past Sunday's race at Tymor, my V brakes rear spring popped out from where it ummm, connects too :confused: and more or less locked up my wheel and made it hard to pedal. If you use V brakes try safety wiring the black spring to the brake arm (Tommy didn't tell me that part) :mad2: so it won't wiggle loose. Disc are mo betta and the pads won't wear out during a mud race.

Fallgirl ... :)

secondspeed02

add my two cents i hope you dont mind

:)can add something even in icy times is all cool with disc brakes they dont get frozen up fairly to long too (brakes give off good heat ) . peace from EM :cool:
Do it, if you go the mechanical route, Avid BB7's, if you want hydraulic go with Avid Juicy 7's. Disc brakes have a very different feel than rim brakes because the braking is happening at the center of the wheel, the stopping force feels slower/mushy at first but you get used to it and when the pads and rotors break in, they feel awesome. Disc brakes rule because they work wether it is wet or dry, muddy, wheel out of true...you will lose some performance in the wet but they will work far better then any rim brake in the wet. If you go hydraulic, you don't have to work about gritty cables and you need less pressure to apply the brakes.

secondspeed02

what you dont can hurt you- w/ brakes set up

that what happens if you dont do any maintenance on them the night before the race.. you'll locked them right right up b/c you didnt have it drain and replace the liquid in brake lines another reason peace check the brake pads go the website good luck www.parktools.com..
This past Sunday's race at Tymor, my V brakes rear spring popped out from where it ummm, connects too :confused: and more or less locked up my wheel and made it hard to pedal. If you use V brakes try safety wiring the black spring to the brake arm (Tommy didn't tell me that part) :mad2: so it won't wiggle loose. Disc are mo betta and the pads won't wear out during a mud race.

Fallgirl ... :)

TommyCrash

I'm with Ben and Cyclo. Save your money, buy a nicer bike in the future and learn clipless on your Hardrock. Let that thing take a beating while learning. Besides, the benefits of riding with clipless outweigh the stopping power of your current bike. When you have enough money for a new bike, definitely keep the old one so you can introduce others to this great sport.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
I'm with Ben and Cyclo. Save your money, buy a nicer bike in the future and learn clipless on your Hardrock. Let that thing take a beating while learning. Besides, the benefits of riding with clipless outweigh the stopping power of your current bike. When you have enough money for a new bike, definitely keep the old one so you can introduce others to this great sport.

well said my man. and agreed. i have a friend now that wants to get into it.

jimmysnukastyle

Brakes

First bike for first season for me was a Gary Fisher hard tale with v brakes - worked out just fine for me getting up and running. Upgrading to disks would have cost me about half of what I paid for the bike. Upgrading to clipped in pedals was the only upgrade that really made a difference for me. I waited until I bought a new bike this year for full suspension and disk brakes.

xc62701

Disc are mo betta and the pads won't wear out during a mud race.

Not exactly. Be careful of your disc brake pads in mud. You could easily wear a pair out in a race like Tymor. Once all that grime gets in there, if it's bad enough it'll kill em quickly. I learned this very quickly in the 24 Hours of Allamuchy. Brakes feel very different when there's no pad left ;)

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Dude,
that a good price has anyone used the wellgo pedals? ...

I have Wellgo WPD 823 on my rigid and Shimanos on my FS. Honestly, I didn't notice any difference in functionality between the two. Having them off the bike, the wellgos are significantly heavier but I believe this set you're looking at is much lighter than mine.

And frankly unless you're racing and maxed out in every other area, I can't see a couple ounces less weight on pedals making the difference. A couple less pounds on the seat makes a bigger difference.

If it's an honest seller, I think it's a great deal you'd be hard pressed to match.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
yah that is a really great price, but i think i want to get a little more comfortable on my bike first before i go clipless. i wanna get used to eating sh*t without being clipped in first, hahahahahaha.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Really, no matter when you switch over
you can plan on eating a fair amount of it. ;)
I say go for it, get it over with,
and then you get some pie.:D

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i tryed on some shoes yesterday and decided on which im going to buy. so ill be picking them up during june sometime.

Top Bottom