USWE Airborne 9

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
uswe pack.jpgI had heard about this hydration pack on a podcast a few years ago, did some research, liked what I saw, but didn't pull the trigger because I have loved my Camelbak for years. I had customized that one for my Spartan racing and it translated well to mountain biking. With my new bike ordered I figured I would need a bigger pack to carry more stuff because I want to do longer, all day rides, hopefully out of state. Black Friday rolled around and I picked one up for about $50 off.
When it arrived I was leery, made by a Swedish company I thought it was built for smaller cyclists, that the chest straps would be too tight, the pack would sit too high, that it would restrict my breathing. One ride and everything changed. There are enough adjustments to keep it secure across your chest while not being restrictive. It sits high on your back but does not move, even with my seat at its lowest, navigating through some gnarly rock gardens. Half the time I forget it's there, the straps don't impede your arms or shoulders at all, you can definitely tell this pack was made by avid mountain bikers. The tube is held in place by a magnetic clip that's much stronger then it looks, I love not having to take my eyes off the trail while drinking or returning the tube.
I was super impressed by the quality and performance of this, I don't think I'll buy another brand again.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have one but not the airborne 9, I like the pack for fit, but I am still not a pack guy. One thing I will say is the bladders are garbage. Mine sprung a pinhole in its second use. Having multiple camelback bladders made this an non issue though. With that said I have been waiting for my Lab Austere bottle hip pack thats all the rage among the bottle cage handicapped bike owners.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I have one but not the airborne 9, I like the pack for fit, but I am still not a pack guy. One thing I will say is the bladders are garbage. Mine sprung a pinhole in its second use. Having multiple camelback bladders made this an non issue though. With that said I have been waiting for my Lab Austere bottle hip pack thats all the rage among the bottle cage handicapped bike owners.
Interesting on the bladder. I too have a few camelbak ones so it's easily switched if that happens.
I bought the Savu by Osprey but hated the way it sits on my hips, I had to cinch the belt so tight to keep it from bouncing it actually hurt. I returned it to REI after a week of riding, just couldn't do it. Curious to see how your new one will perform.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I have one as well, I like it way better than the camelback and osprey pacs I’ve had in the past... the only downside is that it accentuates my moobs.😳 But seeing that I can’t see it..... it’s really more of a YOU problem🤪.

Dita Von Tesse would approve.

serviceguy

View attachment 145263I had heard about this hydration pack on a podcast a few years ago, did some research, liked what I saw, but didn't pull the trigger because I have loved my Camelbak for years. I had customized that one for my Spartan racing and it translated well to mountain biking. With my new bike ordered I figured I would need a bigger pack to carry more stuff because I want to do longer, all day rides, hopefully out of state. Black Friday rolled around and I picked one up for about $50 off.
When it arrived I was leery, made by a Swedish company I thought it was built for smaller cyclists, that the chest straps would be too tight, the pack would sit too high, that it would restrict my breathing. One ride and everything changed. There are enough adjustments to keep it secure across your chest while not being restrictive. It sits high on your back but does not move, even with my seat at its lowest, navigating through some gnarly rock gardens. Half the time I forget it's there, the straps don't impede your arms or shoulders at all, you can definitely tell this pack was made by avid mountain bikers. The tube is held in place by a magnetic clip that's much stronger then it looks, I love not having to take my eyes off the trail while drinking or returning the tube.
I was super impressed by the quality and performance of this, I don't think I'll buy another brand again.
Just curious, why would you expect a Swedish company would size for a smaller cyclist? The swedes are pretty big fellows...

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Just curious, why would you expect a Swedish company would size for a smaller cyclist? The swedes are pretty big fellows...
That's a good point. I guess I just assume anything from Europe is sized smaller. I spent a week in England hitting into every door frame there was.

mtbiker87

I have a USWE Patriot 15. That's the one that comes with the back protector in it. Love it. Fits great, super adjustable, and definitely does not bounce around as much as any other pack I've owned. I like having the phone pocket thingy that you can attach to the chest strap, as it makes it easy for me to get to the damn thing without trying to fish it out of a hip strap pocket it barely fits in ,or having to stop and pull it out of the pack itself.

iLuveketchup

One thing to add about USWE is the fit provides no air flow, so it makes for a hot and sweaty backpack/straps.

spmx43

Best Backpack I have ever used. I have three different models, two for moto and one for MT.
Their no bounce tech is better than any other I have ever used. Support is on point also with a faulty mouth valve.
Also have a phone mount attachment that is awesome.

Attachments

• phone mount.jpg
    phone mount.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom