UST with thumb tack -

monteverest

Just discovered my new front Mountain King UST tire has a thumb tack still pinned to the tire. I discovered it 1/4 into my loop today and decided to leave the tack in. The tire still holds air but how should I repair it? Can I deflate the tire, remove the tack, fill with Stan's and inflate? What luck.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
You can most likely fill the hole w/ super glue on both sides of the casing and things should be ok. You might not have to do anything if you run any kind of sealant.

When I removed some UST tires that I rode in hawaii with UST slime a long while back, I discovered 20+ nasty thorns in a tire. It had held air for over a year with no issue.

j

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
You can most likely fill the hole w/ super glue on both sides of the casing and things should be ok. You might not have to do anything if you run any kind of sealant.

When I removed some UST tires that I rode in hawaii with UST slime a long while back, I discovered 20+ nasty thorns in a tire. It had held air for over a year with no issue.

j

Dammm that is impressive...no need to top off with a pump?

monteverest

j

Thanks! I followed your advice and the tire is holding air. Now I'll have to track down the joker who strategically placed the thumb tack ...

THATmanMANNY

DAZAM you rode in Hawaii. I was out there this past year two times totaling about a month but I never got to ride anything. I wasn't very much into MTB'ing then. But I did bring my road gear but never got around to touring Oahu or Maui on a rental bike like I had planned. I was all set and stuff too. :mad: Instead I did tons of local and touristy things. Now I don't even ride road and always mountain.

Hawaii is dope but stay away from the city and stay local and get the vibe. It also helps if you're Asian :D. But I did take some Walmart bikes up the road near diamond head. That was fun and about all the bike action I seen all trip. Ohh... except for the bike ride downhill from Haleakala. THAT WAS FUN!

Okay, I'll stop ranting. Sorry, when I hear Hawaii it's just like OOOO AHHHHH...

ArmyOfNone

We are thinking of going there for our honey moon. But im sure that is not the time to go away on any mtb expeditions.

Gregg

Honeymoons are made for mtb's

I don't know if they are still open but back in 1997 while on my honeymoon in Maui I rented a bike from West Maui cycles in Lahaina(think it was a Trek Fuel) and set out for a ride. Lots of climbing in the area but be careful getting to the trails I had to go through some sugar cane fields to get to the trail. You think the twisty section in 6 mile is confusing you haven't seen anything. Not to mention the shanty town area in the cane fields where I felt less safe than in Newark don't know if its a bad area just not what I expected while out for a ride. After all that you simply can not beat the views that you'll find you climb 1200 feet turn around and see the ocean.

I know the next question where was your wife? She was at the beach getting her drinks served to her at her chair. We both had a good day and a great honeymoon. Just make sure to discuss the idea with her before you get there. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I went riding for 4 days in Molokai. Most people have never even heard of that Island.

Trust me when I say that it was sick!

Attachments

• Photos From The Old Computer 737.jpg
    Photos From The Old Computer 737.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Photos From The Old Computer 750.jpg
    Photos From The Old Computer 750.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Photos From The Old Computer 806.jpg
    Photos From The Old Computer 806.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Photos From The Old Computer 845.jpg