UST Wheel Building

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it reasonable to build your own UST wheels or is it more headache than it's worth? Anyone have experience in this area?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well that's what he does for a living. I mean me doing it as a winter project.

I find I need something to be "not done" in the basement all the time.

ArmyOfNone

sure if you consider waking up at 5am, beating yourself into the ground (rendering me useless at the end of the day) your kinda a think....YES its fun

walter

Fourth Party
sure if you consider waking up at 5am, beating yourself into the ground (rendering me useless at the end of the day) your kinda a think....YES its fun

WOW, this sounds remotely like my normal work day, but I dont get to sleep that late.:D

ArmyOfNone

WOW, this sounds remotely like my normal work day, but I dont get to sleep that late.:D

Ya im waitin for it to feel normal. Then i can get on with things as usual. Funny thing is when i was on midnights, i could do much more with less sleep.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Mavic UST rims build up very nicely.

Just make sure you have the correct spoke length and that you know how to lace a wheel before you try.

I use DT threadlocker on the eyelets. It sets up pretty quick. It also seems to eat at yous skin a bit. I won't come unwound though which is nice.

If you are nervous you could dry fit the wheel before you add any threadlocker. Buy the Park Tool for the Mavic Eyelets or you won't get them tight enough.

This is perhaps the most tedious of all rims to build with but I do believe that they are more than worth the extra effort.

I can't wait for the 09' Mavic rims.. They are sure to build a 29" version.

There will also be more UST 29" tires by then too.

btw.. I heard Chris G say that he is considering building a 29er this week.

There must be something to this 29er thing??

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sweet! Thanks for the tips man. Right now it's still 26 for me but I'll be sure to join the party at some future point when my wife finally buys my pitch that I need a 6th bike.

Is there a special Park tool for Mavic? Not familiar with that. I've laced old crap wheels that I was swapping hubs on so it's not entirely new. I would probably lace it up dry and go from there.

Is there a special rim strip I need for tubeless?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks again!

I do need to use 16mm, says Universal Cycles. True?

Nothing special about the spokes though?

Top Bottom