UST Choices

Shaggz

A strong 7
OK, this may be more appropriate in "General Bike Talk" but I wanted to keep it near the UST Pros/Cons, without sending that in a different direction. I know this is a broad question, but what should I consider when shopping for UST wheel set? Why consider a custom set of UST wheels, as opposed to a production wheelset at the same price point?

For example, I have heard from several personal sources that I should consider Mavic STs, as opposed a custom wheelset; stiffer, lighter, etc. Yet on the boards, many will say that a wheel built to custom specs is the way to go. Is there a price point or a riding style where this is true?

ytc100

OK, this may be more appropriate in "General Bike Talk" but I wanted to keep it near the UST Pros/Cons, without sending that in a different direction. I know this is a broad question, but what should I consider when shopping for UST wheel set? Why consider a custom set of UST wheels, as opposed to a production wheelset at the same price point?

For example, I have heard from several personal sources that I should consider Mavic STs, as opposed a custom wheelset; stiffer, lighter, etc. Yet on the boards, many will say that a wheel built to custom specs is the way to go. Is there a price point or a riding style where this is true?

With a custom wheelset you can choose the components you want. The Mavic wheels are nice looking but get mixed reviews. I don't like them because they are kind of proprietary in nature and I like to work on my own stuff. I think it's possible to build a set of custom wheels at that price point that would equal if not surpass the Mavics in terms of performance. However I have never owned a set of Mavics and anything said in this post can be used against me in a court of law. I understand my rights. Thank you and goodnight.

Nimrod

I'm running the Bonty UST Race Disc's cause, when I wrecked my wheels last year the Bonty's were on sale; and I needed wheels instantly

Maurice

IMO you shouldn't go wrong with either.

Mavic complete wheelsets are a bit on the spendy side, and you need to stock up on spokes and such as shops almost always need to special order them. They are not bomb-proof, I've split a freewheel body, broken spokes, trashed bearings etc., but once you have the parts they're quite simple to work on yourself.

The difference between those and regular custom wheels is noticeable when you're pushing them to the limit. Steel spokes flex a lot more than the aluminum ones. A friend has Spynergy wheels with the nylon/kevlar spokes, now those are scary flexy! It depends on your riding style, you may actually prefer them to flex as opposed to having to compensate on the handlebar for instance. Also some wheel builders will achieve a great deal better stiffness with higher spoke tensions.

Good luck,

Maurice

Top Bottom