Using the nose of the saddle...

ellbiddy

So I just got back from a ride at CR and it was really fun bombing some of the rocky downhill sections I tend to grip the nose of my seat with my thighs and hang my butt back as far behind the seat as I could... my problem is that that isn't too far. If I lower my seat I can hang off in a way that feels more comfy but then I can't pedal for crap. The other problem is when I grip with my thighs ...I hit a bigger bump or drop than normal and sometimes my grip slips and I end up pretty much scuffing the back tire with my ass and getting back over the seat is a tricky.

I don't really want to give up pedal efficiency to take steeper sections better, but maybe there's something else I can do? :confused:

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
if you're gripping the seat, you're not letting your legs absorb the hits like you should. You should be in a position where your knees are bent, weight is back, arms are loose. Maybe your saddle is sticking way too far out of the frame, but I can't imagine having to have my weight that far back that the saddle would impede my riding position.

THATmanMANNY

I think you're just thinking toooo much. You really shouldn't be needing to get waaaay back there. Or at least I didn't today. Just ride and stay balanced and if you crash, you always learn from your mistake :eek: Plus, I really wouldn't advise gripping your saddle with your thighs.

Today, I learned to not get so distracted into a convo because I ended up getting my big ring caught on log and endo'ed on the other side.

ellbiddy

Well it's more of a subtle grip as it's mostly the pressure from the point the saddle flares out that my legs are resting against. It feels pretty good, but I always see folks pretty sitting way back out there. While it feels comfy too, there's no way I could do it without risking smashing my gonads trying to get back on the seat. Maybe I'll just keep doing what I'm doing as it works well and stop thinking as manny put it haha

And yeah there's not enough stuff at CR that needs you to have your butt on the back tire, but with this impending diablo trip I wanted to iron out some last minute details before I went careening down the slopes hah

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I gotta dig up a photo from a world cup xc race. I cant think of what track it is, but there are some switchbacks where the riders are pretty much biting the back of the saddles.

THATmanMANNY

...but with this impending diablo trip I wanted to iron out some last minute details before I went careening down the slopes hah

TRU @ diablo the slow rock step downs need you behind your seat and going down the ski trails at like CRAZY speeds too. The ski trails aren't steep but because of the speed one small subtle bump will send you right over the bars as experienced by moi.

Top Bottom