USAC Marathon Nationals Breckenridge Colorado

xc62701

USAC Marathon Nationals Breckenridge Colorado-Results are in...

Well I'm flying out to CO on Monday and with a little persuasion it looks like my bro and I will be driving up to Breck for a nice 4th of July pain-fest. The Marathon Nationals are in Breck. It's a 50 mile race with 2 laps of a 25 mile course. Each lap has 5400' of vert. The highest point is at 11300'. This is going to be interesting. Jersey representin!!!

Last edited:

maddawg

"The percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere at sea level is about 21% and the barometric pressure is around 760 mmHg. As altitude increases, the percentage remains the same but the number of oxygen molecules per breath is reduced. At 3,600 metres (12,000 feet) the barometric pressure is only about 480 mmHg, so there are roughly 40% fewer oxygen molecules per breath so the body must adjust to having less oxygen." from the travel doctor site

can you say acclimatization?

actually it should be a lot of fun, that is of course if you dont get AMS. :)

have fun!

Last edited:

Glancing Aft

Each lap has 5400' of vert.
Sounds like good training for Michaux ;) Just keep the fluids coming for the first day that you get up to elevation.
And if you have time check out Backcountry Brewery just down the road in Frisco or Breckenridge Brewery right in town, they have some tasty beers!

xc62701

"The percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere at sea level is about 21% and the barometric pressure is around 760 mmHg. As altitude increases, the percentage remains the same but the number of oxygen molecules per breath is reduced. At 3,600 metres (12,000 feet) the barometric pressure is only about 480 mmHg, so there are roughly 40% fewer oxygen molecules per breath so the body must adjust to having less oxygen." from the travel doctor site

can you say acclimatization?

actually it should be a lot of fun, that is of course if you dont get AMS. :)

have fun!

Well I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that my past experience will be an indicator for this trip. I haven't had any issues with AMS at all. I went out last time and bagged a 14'er pretty quickly after getting off the plane and never felt any issues. Of course I could feel the thinner air for sure. I don't know how competitive I'll really be coming from sea level but what they hey. After all - at the root of it all I'll be riding in Breckenridge. I've seen pics already, it's beautiful territory!

xc62701

Sounds like good training for Michaux ;) Just keep the fluids coming for the first day that you get up to elevation.
And if you have time check out Backcountry Brewery just down the road in Frisco or Breckenridge Brewery right in town, they have some tasty beers!

I think the post race festivities are at the Breck Brewery ;)

xc62701

Well as was said before...acclimitization may be the key. Coming from such high elevations as we have in Jersey ;), it didn't really prepare me for the race in Breckenridge. In the parking lot(9600ft elevation) my HR was elevated and as soon as I hit the first 6 mile climb I knew it was going to be a long day(Up to 11300ft elevation). My recovery just wasn't there. I did the best I could on a beautiful and well laid out course but my lungs were not helping. The climbs were nice on doubletrack/fireroads/pavement. The ST was amazing and the loose sketchy descents were frantic. It was all good. The 10800' of climbing certainly took it's toll. I finished in 6 hours and 11 minutes making that DFL in my class although 2 or more DNF'D. It was tough and certainly a lesson in high altitude racing. I was glad to have done it and once again the 29'er handled it beautifully.

Last edited:
Top Bottom