Status
Not open for further replies.

BPaze

Roof racks are pretty good should have done this a while ago. Thanks @Mr.Moto
20191009_181629.jpg

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Don't want to add another thread to my kill count

well you can have a kid in hs, and if you go into a trade(or enlist) instead of college you could conceivably have a house by the time your 21 . . . .

I don't know of any planned pregnancies in HS...

I graduated in 09 recession was in full swing tried to become an electrichicken but the union wasn't taking anyone on, nobody was after a year of not getting into any trade or union I went to school because there was nothing out there, since I started my jr year till 2011 3 places I worked at went under.

By no means was I supporting a family of 4 off my salary, but the recession kept my gen from entering the work force delaying everything.

Controversial alert

Looking now, enlisting for someone to pay for furthering their education isn't an even trade. I've got a cousin who worked with Delta force while enlisted in Colombian forces and another who did three tours in the middle east. Being a participant in war isn't a fair exchange for what you pay internally.

I fully expect this to be an unpopular opinion, I just don't see the value of joining the military. Call me a coward but there is a reason people say their recruiter lied to them if it was such a great establishment they wouldn't need recruiters and wouldn't need to place ads where over eager young men would see them and could sustain off of reputation. Maybe my view is skewed because of those I know who served but this is just my perspective.

serviceguy

I graduated in 09 recession was in full swing tried to become an electrichicken but the union wasn't taking anyone on, nobody was after a year of not getting into any trade or union I went to school because there was nothing out there, since I started my jr year till 2011 3 places I worked at went under.

By no means was I supporting a family of 4 off my salary, but the recession kept my gen from entering the work force delaying everything.

Controversial alert

Looking now, enlisting for someone to pay for furthering their education isn't an even trade. I've got a cousin who worked with Delta force while enlisted in Colombian forces and another who did three tours in the middle east. Being a participant in war isn't a fair exchange for what you pay internally.

I fully expect this to be an unpopular opinion, I just don't see the value of joining the military. Call me a coward but there is a reason people say their recruiter lied to them if it was such a great establishment they wouldn't need recruiters and wouldn't need to place ads where over eager young men would see them and could sustain off of reputation. Maybe my view is skewed because of those I know who served but this is just my perspective.

Controversial alert

I'll offer my opinion for what is worth, also based on a short stint in the military (1 mandatory year, spent in the Italian Military Police). The military is not for everybody. It can be a great form of education for some and very disrupting for others, like most everything else is not a one-size-fit-all thing. If you have the right mindset it can be a great opportunity to better yourself and get an education, but if you just go in there because you thing you're getting free education you may have a really bad experience, there's always a price to pay even if it's not in money. And in a country like the US actively involved in multiple conflicts the consequences can obviously be extreme. Bottom line, as always it's about trying to figure out what you're getting into, in this day and age I believe there a little bit more info available than just the word of a recruiter.

Mahnken

Controversial alert

I went into trades after one semester of college. Even if I saved every penny and lived with my parents, I can't imagine having enough to buy a house by 21. Add a kid and forget it, especially if you're paying rent somewhere.
As far as enlisting to pay for education, I think that's insane. You're essentially saying, to get a free education, you have to be willing to die, willing to kill, willing to put yourself through all the things that cause the PTSD that is all too prevalent among our veterans.
There really should be some kind of free college in this country. My wife's student loans cost more than our mortgage every month (not including her bachelor's, that was paid for by her parents).

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Controversial alert

so just to clarify, im not really any significant amount older than you, i was born in 90 (bet that you didnt guess that), so the starting salaries when i started college were the same as the starting salaries as when i graduated (not the promised inflated salaries). Fortunately i was able to find a job relevant to my education right out of college, and that job paid out for my entire masters degree (minus books ect). I would tend to agree that enlisting isnt for everyone and could not be worth it depending on where you end up, but the option is out there and there are alot of good benefits for enlisted (besides school they have options to help with mortgages ect ect) so plausible.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I went into trades after one semester of college. Even if I saved every penny and lived with my parents, I can't imagine having enough to buy a house by 21. Add a kid and forget it, especially if you're paying rent somewhere.
As far as enlisting to pay for education, I think that's insane. You're essentially saying, to get a free education, you have to be willing to die, willing to kill, willing to put yourself through all the things that cause the PTSD that is all too prevalent among our veterans.
There really should be some kind of free college in this country. My wife's student loans cost more than our mortgage every month (not including her bachelor's, that was paid for by her parents).

I was lucky to get my education paid for due to checking all the boxes getting me all the scholarships. My wife was not but while she is chasing her bsn she has been able to get scholarships through work. We're still paying off her original degree but should be done shortly as a matter of fact I'm going to pay one of her loans off today since I'm wfh I can wait the few hours on hold to get a person on the line.

If we didn't have to pay for secondary education we'd spend the money elsewhere and set up for retirement. The pendulum has no choice but to swing the other way if it doesn't the middle and lower class is fucked.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
so just to clarify, im not really any significant amount older than you, i was born in 90 (bet that you didnt guess that), so the starting salaries when i started college were the same as the starting salaries as when i graduated (not the promised inflated salaries). Fortunately i was able to find a job relevant to my education right out of college, and that job paid out for my entire masters degree (minus books ect). I would tend to agree that enlisting isnt for everyone and could not be worth it depending on where you end up, but the option is out there and there are alot of good benefits for enlisted (besides school they have options to help with mortgages ect ect) so plausible.

Fully aware of your age but you have to realize you are in the minority.

I fully intend to go to the trades, college isn't for me but couldn't go into the trades so went for cj to be a cop. Got dq'd because I am colorblind but I didn't know I was so I got booted 2 days before my academy date for nysp.

Here I am basically being a data analysis and trying to wrap my head around getting my masters. Which I will tackle at the pace of my jobs reimbursement rate. I'm not a book person by any means but you got to piss with the cock you got.

I'm happily surprised with where I am in life I'm just tired of criticisms that tell people to kill people to go to school. You don't get to where either of us are with out sacrifice or you got help. You aren't getting here just skating by

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Fully aware of your age but you have to realize you are in the minority.

I fully intend to go to the trades, college isn't for me but couldn't go into the trades so went for cj to be a cop. Got dq'd because I am colorblind but I didn't know I was so I got booted 2 days before my academy date for nysp.

Here I am basically being a data analysis and trying to wrap my head around getting my masters. Which I will tackle at the pace of my jobs reimbursement rate. I'm not a book person by any means but you got to piss with the cock you got.

I'm happily surprised with where I am in life I'm just tired of criticisms that tell people to kill people to go to school. You don't get to where either of us are with out sacrifice or you got help. You aren't getting here just skating by

Not for nothing, but you've been resilient and adaptive. Add to that you have a plan.
I'm figuring you'll be fine, and as mentioned before, it is a marathon, not a sprint.

you'd think this would impress @Norm enough to get you back to justMax.....

Mahnken

Can't forget to that some of the trades are changing, some even working with colleges to get a degrees. They were starting that when I was an apprentice. The apprenticeship was worth half an associates degree at one of the local colleges. When I started in the field I was mostly just a wrench. By the time I left I was sitting in front of a computer most days because all the systems became much more advanced than they used to be. So even a couple years of community college probably could have helped out significantly in HVAC for me.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

im not one to criticize, i realize each person has their own path, and you are right, you dont get to a good spot by being lazy, you either work your ass off for it(like i did, and it sounds like you did too) or you come from money and someone else greases the skids, but those people dont make it long term. I agree with @Patrick that it sounds like you have things figured out and will be just fine.

I was fortunate that i qualified for a lot of scholarship (not 100%, but enough to make it affordable), my wife not so much, shes still paying off her loans, but she paid cash for her masters. (mine only cost me like $800 out of pocket, over 4ish years)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom