Urban / park in NJ?

f2f4

Having just got back from a couple weeks of leave right next to Rays MTB in Ohio, I have been searching like mad for any good place to ride urban stuff, indoors or outdoors. I have found a couple skateparks but that isn't looking so hot, unless I pick up a BMX.

Anyone know of anything in NJ/nearby? Been riding through Philly a bit but haven't found any hot spots yet. (cross posted @ MTBR)

MTBTyler

I always wanted to ride bridgewater commons mall parking lot. It has some benches, stairs, and ac duct. Not too exciding. WARNING: may get chased by rent-a-cop.:rofl: On south ave in middlesex I found loading docks that the 18 wheelers back up into, there like half pipes.
Im not to sure exactly what you meen by urban.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
honestly, just go to ANY urban area (New Brunswick, Princeton) cruise around, find something cool, and huck it... Corporate complexes usually make good spots too...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
New Brunswick is one of my favorite spots to hit up urban stuff. If you need a tour I think I know every single thing you could ever want to hit in the entire town, 10 years of riding trials will do that for you:D Also if you just want to goof around, hit up Sayreville or Edison skatepark, they're free and you can go during the day when you don't have to punch BMX'ers in the face for wearing their sister's jeans and taking their brakes off:rofl:

-Jim.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
there is an infinite amount of spots to ride in philly. What exactly are you looking for?

A bunch of us go street and park riding from the shop a few times a week. Most on 26" dj bikes, some on 20"s. . .

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
just ride around and find stuff. I have ridden street in bmx bikes and rode trails for a few years too. From riding with the flatland guys in york, you find that you can pretty much find lines or something to do in even an empty parking lot. Especially when you are starting out, just doing certain manual lines (even starting out just manualing parking spaces) and seeing who can do the furtherest rollbacks can eat up hours. Once you get better, EVERYTHING is something to ride , it doesn't have to be big to be challenging or fun.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i second new brunswick and sayerville - sayerville is all about what time you get there (early is best or when kids are in school). busch campus on rutgers cant be forgotten. starting off in front of the stadium or the physics building* that looks like a toothpaste cap is always good fun. busch is a bit spread out, but there are features all over.

*plus, inside the physics building is this cool little contraption that 'catches' neutrinos - its got some gas mixture and a bunch of electricity running through it so everytime one of these tiny sub-atomic particles zip through (they can pass through almost everything) they leave a streak of light. sometimes you'll see they pass right through you. fun to watch when you're taking a break... yes i am a total dork.

sixseven

i second new brunswick and sayerville - sayerville is all about what time you get there (early is best or when kids are in school). busch campus on rutgers cant be forgotten. starting off in front of the stadium or the physics building* that looks like a toothpaste cap is always good fun. busch is a bit spread out, but there are features all over.

*plus, inside the physics building is this cool little contraption that 'catches' neutrinos - its got some gas mixture and a bunch of electricity running through it so everytime one of these tiny sub-atomic particles zip through (they can pass through almost everything) they leave a streak of light. sometimes you'll see they pass right through you. fun to watch when you're taking a break... yes i am a total dork.

Check out the preserve too. It has some fun jumps and stuff. Also the barracks around it have some fun features, jumps, drops etc. I may be back in NJ next weekend and would be able to give you a tour or maybe a group ride? Been wondering how it's looking out there...

Clark, is there an ideal time to check out this sub atomic particle thing? sounds like a fungi time...

f2f4

I may be back in NJ next weekend and would be able to give you a tour or maybe a group ride? Been wondering how it's looking out there...
Assuming I have the day(s?) off, I'd be down for whateva.

Thanks for all the help. Lotts good places to check out from what I've been reading... I guess I've just been missing them.

Hell, I just found out today there is a sick series of dirt jumps RIGHT next to my LBS. Well, a couple blocks away. Pretty hidden. But I'm not even trying those until I meet the people who own them and make friends. :p

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Hell, I just found out today there is a sick series of dirt jumps RIGHT next to my LBS. Well, a couple blocks away. Pretty hidden. But I'm not even trying those until I meet the people who own them and make friends. :p

On Rt34? If it is, I spent many hours back in the day digging there:D

-Jim.

D

DrunkenMaster

what about the north jersey area like bergen county? :confused: any1 know good spots around there?

betta285

New Brunswick is one of my favorite spots to hit up urban stuff. If you need a tour I think I know every single thing you could ever want to hit in the entire town, 10 years of riding trials will do that for you:D Also if you just want to goof around, hit up Sayreville or Edison skatepark, they're free and you can go during the day when you don't have to punch BMX'ers in the face for wearing their sister's jeans and taking their brakes off:rofl:

-Jim.

Being at Rutgers, every commute to class is a little urban session. New Brunswick is just amazing for urban riding, with every size and type of gap, ledge, stair set, and obstacle. Traffic only makes it more fun:D I frequent the preserve as well and it is a great ride. Not too big, you can cover everything in 45-60 minutes if you're moving, but still a good array of terrain. My roommate is a big BMXer so I whip around sayerville skate park. We usually go late on school nights so don't often run into many people, but even so, everybody is always pretty pleasant. The bowl is great for dialing in speed control and pumping. Try it all out!

Jim

ellbiddy

I saw you rocking college ave last spring, I was walking to work from having lunch in the Brunswick :p.

Top Bottom