Upstate NY area MTB Bike Park/Resort destinations?

JonF

Looking to book a family vacation this summer, but not too far as we have a toddler so we want to limit travel time to 3 hrs max. There seems to be some bike parks in the Catskills and Windham comes up in a search. Are there other parks nearby that are worthwhile/better (And is Windham decent for that matter)? Its only me that DH bikes, however, my wife likes trail riding and so if there's "mild" public trails nearby for family riding, thats a bonus. Have a bike seat for our toddler for family group riding but haven't tried yet, will try to prime her on it before summer.

We'll likely book a nice AirBnB so we can cook meals at home (toddlers make terrible restaurant guests) so on-mountain lodging isn't vital unless they have decent condo's.

Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
For trail riding Catskills has tons of options. In addition to what’s already been mentioned: Ferncliff, Onteora Lake, Jockey Hill to name a few. TrailForks is a good source. However, if you’re looking for a place to take the toddler on a bike seat the only option I can think of would be Minnewaska’s carriage roads. They are smooth ish and gradual in grade, with amazing views.

roc

Stay here if you can. I cut the trail out the back door that leads to Elm ridge. You don't need to get in the car .
I stayed here, it was awesome. Rode, right out the backyard to some of the most fun mountain biking I’ve ever done. Love elm ridge!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For trail riding Catskills has tons of options. In addition to what’s already been mentioned: Ferncliff, Onteora Lake, Jockey Hill to name a few. TrailForks is a good source. However, if you’re looking for a place to take the toddler on a bike seat the only option I can think of would be Minnewaska’s carriage roads. They are smooth ish and gradual in grade, with amazing views.

Yeah. As much as I enjoyed Elm Ridge last time I’m not sure it’s toddler material.

xc62701

Stay here if you can. I cut the trail out the back door that leads to Elm ridge. You don't need to get in the car .
I second this place. I believe I had the first road bike descent into the house on that trail. 👍🏻 😎

VanDbtRiver

I wonder if Kenneth Wilson State park off of rt 212 outside of Woodstock still maintains /allows mtb on the trails. There used to be great races there and camping on site. good for fam, not so much for dh

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I second this place. I believe I had the first road bike descent into the house on that trail. 👍🏻 😎
First that I’m aware of. Glad we cut that in though. A couple of days work and it’s there forever. I’ve been pestering B about bringing up a machine to make a berm trail out of it.

wait and see

xc62701

First that I’m aware of. Glad we cut that in though. A couple of days work and it’s there forever. I’ve been pestering B about bringing up a machine to make a berm trail out of it.

wait and see
Agreed. I'm glad you did too. ;) That would be amazing if you could cut some berms in there. While you're at it...ladder bridges...

JonF

Wow, so many great suggestions, thanks folks!

Looks like between Windham, Elm ridge, Round Top, Plattekill and beyond, there's plenty of options.

The Windham house looks epic, but not sure how toddler friendly it is. Have to check it further...

JonF

I thought the toddler meant no car ride longer than 3 hours, but how do they both go for a trail ride with a toddler? You are right, definitely not toddler material.
We have one of these shotgun seats for casual family riding with the kid. So as long as the trail is mellow and flowy the kids love it. The cushy suspension on the Enduro bike should be helpful also.

roc

We have one of these shotgun seats for casual family riding with the kid. So as long as the trail is mellow and flowy the kids love it. The cushy suspension on the Enduro bike should be helpful also.

God bless you, those things look terrifying to me, I’ve seen a guy in Ringwood with that contraption. I guess bailing is absolutely a no go.

JonF

God bless you, those things look terrifying to me, I’ve seen a guy in Ringwood with that contraption. I guess bailing is absolutely a no go.
For us its just a mellow trail only thing. Rail trail or gentle flowy path, nothing with features. Not looking to get all sendy with the little critter riding shotgun. 🤣 The Windham meadow path actually looks ideal for this.

Top Bottom