Upper Knee/Lower Quad Pain (for days)

BAIN

Just got a new bike, been riding more then usual, length of rides have been near normal, terrain has actually been easier, only really stretch before riding.

Any suggestions would help. When and what do you normally stretch, could my new bike size be doing it, peddle setup? Any information would help.

Thanx

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Just got a new bike, been riding more then usual, length of rides have been near normal, terrain has actually been easier, only really stretch before riding.

Any suggestions would help. When and what do you normally stretch, could my new bike size be doing it, peddle setup? Any information would help.

Thanx

Read into proper saddle height.

Chances are good that you are too low if anything.

Also I have found no downside to sliding your cleats back as far away from your toes as possible. If you have a very small frame your toes could hit the tire.

There is a group of folks that have been adapting pedals to mount in the middle of the instep. Sort of the way that you might pedal a flat pedal.

If you are running spd, be sure that your cleats are set in a neutral position such that you are getting the proper float.

A bike fit won't hurt either.

best o luck

J

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just got a new bike...

That's surely the reason. Try to fit it like the old bike to start. A bike fit won't hurt, agree with J on that. I don't stretch, unless something fell over towards the back of the fridge. So I can't help you there.

BiknBen

Blame it on the new bike. General rule of thumb? Pain just above the knee indicates that the seat is too low. Pain behind the knee indicates saddle is too high. Adjust the saddle in small increments and pay attention to the height. Get a tape measure.

Good tip. Put some tape around the seatpost just above the seat collar (where post goes into frame). This will assist you when make those small adjustments. It also will indicate if you post is slipping into the frame (tape will wrinkle).

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Pain just above the knee indicates that the seat is too low. Pain behind the knee indicates saddle is too high.

So, Dr. Ben,
How 'bout pain in the kneecap? Like as if it were loose and floating around in there on top of everything?

M

mtbjeff

o-k, alittle Rube Goldberg experiance. I spent a lot of time and had profesional help fiting my race bike, it was great. Now the formerly fabulous free ride bike is off. I set the two bikes side by side and slid a socket wrench extension through both bottom brackets. I then proceded to adjust the seat height and moved it back and forth on the rails to match the race bike. Not a pro fit but it made a big difference. If your old bike was set up sweet it would get you close.

BiknBen

So, Dr. Ben,
How 'bout pain in the kneecap? Like as if it were loose and floating around in there on top of everything?

This time of year? Overuse injury! You went to hard too soon. Ice after the ride. Stay out of the big ring until endurance improves.

Actually...I'm just pulling cliches out of my a$$. Go see a doctor!!! Rule out the medical stuff and then see a pro for a good bike fitting.

Books have been written on proper bike fit. You're not likely to get your answers on an interweb forum.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
This time of year? Overuse injury! You went to hard too soon. Ice after the ride. Stay out of the big ring until endurance improves.

Actually...I'm just pulling cliches out of my a$$. Go see a doctor!!! Rule out the medical stuff and then see a pro for a good bike fitting...

Thanks, Ben.
Granted it is early in the season, but I don't see a 30mile road ride as too fast too soon.

The problem started after my very thorough professional fit. Surprisingly or not, there was very little adjustment needed... seat was moved slightly back. The bike had originally been set to my feel and felt great but I wanted to be sure I was putting all my power where it needed to be. The issue isn't huge now, but I can feel it and know if I don't get it ironed out... it might be.

Actually, just prior to the fitting, I just changed out my SPD's for Speedplay... it's likely they've got too much float... I'll have to figure out if I need to adjust toe in or heel in.

T

tlnj

Have you been wearing shorts or tights? Cold weather can screw with the joints/muscles. Stretch after the ride. Dynamic stretching (i.e., air squats) is something we should all do before a ride.

Top Bottom