Uphill/Downhill Rider Etiquette

stilluf

In terms of MTB etiquette, yielding to the uphill rider has always been one of the most obvious and courteous steps to take. We all know how hard it to regain your uphill momentum after a stop (voluntary or not). But I'd like to get a sense of what this means in practice from the MTBNJ universe.

For me, this means that if I'm going down hill, I'll always slow down and pull as far right as I can, and tell the uphill rider to keep going, even if I have to stop and/or go off the trail. I want to make sure the uphiller doesn't stop because of me.

When I'm going uphill, I expect the same courtesy, for which I am thankful when it happens. Usually, this is the case.

But sometimes (and often enough to get me to write this!) when I'm riding uphill, a downhill rider won't slow down, or they'll just stay right. It happened just this weekend at Chimney Rock, on the Blue uphill near Newman's Lane; as I'm approaching a switchback, group of riders comes bombing down, and just stays to the right, as if we are on level ground.

Apologies if I'm sounding too preachy, but I'm just not sure if my understanding of this practice is right (or expectations too high). So I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on this; what are your expectations going uphill, and practices going down? Thanks.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Honestly for me every situation is different.

The standard "down yields to up" applies but if the people coming up are experienced, myself included, I generally let the DH guys go. Because they're having a blast coming down and you know what, enjoy it! If I am coming down I expect nothing, and if people let me bomb I appreciate it and say as much.

I really don't think much of it either way. Bikers are always supposed to yield to hikers but this never happens. The hikers always cede the trail to the bikers and I always express my appreciation to them. I just try to be friendly and keep on rolling and enjoying my day.

giff06

We all experience this at times. It is an unwritten code of courtesy. We chalk it up to the riders inexperience and leave it at that, we all had to learn. By you posting this it may give some newer riders some insight to trail etiquitte.If we are on the tandem and the grade is steep its really hard to get going again.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

w_b

Regardless of where the climber is on the trail, if you are descending it is prudent to not only take action to avoid them, but give him the room he needs to continue. If you are squirrelly downhill bomber you should stop and let him pass; if you rule the gnar, go bomb. Just like watercraft meeting in a narrow channel, the burdened vessel maintains course and speed, and the privileged vessel alters both as necessary to avoid a collision. Uphill burdened, downhill privileged (literally.)

MikeyBikey2000

I've only been on the trails for three weeks, and truthfully I yield to everyone at this point (I go totally off the trail lol) but this did occur to me too - to yield to uphillers for just the reason you point out, not to stop momentum.. I admire anyone tackling a uphill.. I stop just to watch sometimes.

rick81721

Lothar
Just like watercraft meeting in a narrow channel, the burdened vessel maintains course and speed, and the privileged vessel alters both as necessary to avoid a collision. Uphill burdened, downhill privileged (literally.)

?? Think you are referring to passing situations in a channel. Head on, both vessels have to move as far starboard as possible

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The standard "down yields to up" applies but if the people coming up are experienced, myself included, I generally let the DH guys go. Because they're having a blast coming down and you know what, enjoy it! If I am coming down I expect nothing, and if people let me bomb I appreciate it and say as much.
Unless I was an angry singlespeeder or something, I tend to wave the downhillers on before they get a chance to stop completely. I'm not trying to set any Strava climbing records, plus it gives you a break and gives you a good workout getting back up to speed. Also, if there's plenty of room and you're bombing down, I don't see why staying right and slowing down a hair wouldn't be acceptable. Just be friendly and say 'hello' or something.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
?? Think you are referring to passing situations in a channel. Head on, both vessels have to move as far starboard as possible

the powered boat always yields to the unpowered boat (ie sailboat, kayak) - now if you are dumb enough to take your sunfish in front of an oil tanker, well, darwin will take care of that.

oh, yes, and that is why the wheel is on the right side of a boat - to not scrape he shallows of a channel...

w_b

regardless of meeting or overtaking, burdened maintains course and speed

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i am usually fumbling my way up climbs so if someone is ripping i try to get out of the way and yell how many people are behind me, which is usually none. if i am actually making my way up something, i hold my line and if said person tries to sneak by going down i no care.

Reactions: rlb

BrianGT3

I practice what I call "situational yielding". I was also riding Washington Valley yesterday afternoon. I was making my way up the switchbacks on the blue trail aboard my XC bike. Technically yea, I have right away going up hill. But I see a guy coming down the hill on a pretty sky blue IBIS mojo HD with two friends a few seconds behind on their fat bikes. He was super stiff on the bike looking 3' in front of his the handle bars that he's clenching with a firm death grip. I tend to pull off the trail for people like this, he didn't look up and see me till he was approaching head on about 10' away! At this point I was off the trail already. This is something I've always done over the years, on open sections, if there is not eye contact with an oncoming rider I pull off, their attention is 100% 5' in front of them. I've seen guys launch themselves over the bars, or nearly crash, and even worse case target fixate and head directly at me!

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Makes me wonder why there aren't more one-way trails in NJ. After riding other places this summer like KT and Bend where uphill-only and downhill-only trails are pretty common (and rad) I can see how this would work in the highest trafficked park in NJ.

stilluf

Wow these are some great perspectives! My goal is to always make the uphill in one run (ie no stops) and so my knickers get (figuratively) twisted in a knot if I have to stop b/c what I see as "good etiquette" was violated. Maybe I need a slightly more relaxed point of view.....

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Where is this mythical place where people ride with etiquette? Sure as shit isn't the Ringwood area where everyone is descending in Strava destroying death mode (usually way slower than they think they're going) with shitty attitudes.

And the trails up in VT need to be one-way because the speeds you pick up are way higher, and the trails are laid out such that there are one or 2 brutal climbs to get you up, all fun stuff down.

Top Bottom