Upgrade / Weight Saving Tips wanted

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
is your ex6 an '07? I just quickly looked at the specs of it.

For $400-500 you can get a reba fork, which will save you a pound and provide you with limitless tuning options and a much better performing fork.

You could get these wheels: http://jensonusa.com/store/product/WH302A07-Easton+Xc+One+Disc+Wheelset+08.aspx

for $350 and most likely save over a pound right there. Throw two kevlar bead tires and a stans setup on while you are at it, and you will probably be 2 lbs lighter for less than $500.

I have no experience with those wheels, but they seem pretty solid and decently light, esp. for the price. I was thinking of picking up a set as spares so I don't have to ruin $800 wheels on daily rides.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The original posting was ... "saving weight"
I feel that if one has the money XTR componets are superior over anything else on the market at this time. The durability and smoothness of operation is top notch. My favorite component on my full XTR Epic are the brakes. The ergo's of the levers have a perfect bend and are super smooth. The shifting with XTR is more fluid than the X0 by Sram (I had full Sram and junked it for XTR). The weight savings from XT to XTR was considerable. XTR will cost almost 2/3 more than XT. Now for my ability level do I really need XTR? Hell NO! But when I can get XTR for less than what most will pay for XT
(cost plus employee discount, thank you honey) :D why not go for the best. XTR is National Pro level components, XT Expert/sport, LX beginner.
One member had written ... Save your money, get in shape and loose the belly, for me that makes the most sense.

Christina ... :)

if you're willing to offer up those crazy discounts to all, i'll be more than happy to take a set of XTR disc brakes. :D

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Totalthreadderailment

I think i called him a fool first w/ no smiley face but in the end xtina seemed to agree w/ me AND called me a "member". What does it all mean?? Who knows, but I'm startin to like this STB222 guy, he's funny sometimes:D

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think i called him a fool first w/ no smiley face but in the end xtina seemed to agree w/ me AND called me a "member". What does it all mean?? Who knows, but I'm startin to like this STB222 guy, he's funny sometimes:D

ok, ok. funny how brett turns out to be one of the moral barometers here. :D see, smiley.

let's get back to the topic at hand. dropping some lbs off the bike. to recap:

carbon: good
wheel set: good
XTR: most fantastic, lightest and best working gruppo since the creation of a bike but uber expensive.
XT: the working mans XTR.

now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

cyclocrossfool

I think i called him a fool first w/ no smiley face

the only XTR parts i have on my giants are front derailleurs. i said the stuff was the best, never said i had it. ( sram X0 w/ twist myself). these being the parts i got from fallgirl when i talked her in to buying the full XTR group.::D:D:D .if you want to save some big weight go w/ the specialized Roval 1430 gram disc wheelset. i was runing XT hubs w/ mavic rims. after putting on these wheels (w/ conti 130 g. tubes) i lost around 1 1/4 pounds. wheels seem to be stong and durable so far. as far as cost? can you say free !!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hey guys, thanks for all the advice.

I guess the 2 best pieces of advice are
1. Dont waste big $ on saving a few grams and...
2. losing my gut will be the cheapest place to save a few pounds..

But i'll probably end up spending too much on some components i dont really need anyway... :)

Thanks all

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
is your ex6 an '07? I just quickly looked at the specs of it.

For $400-500 you can get a reba fork, which will save you a pound and provide you with limitless tuning options and a much better performing fork.

You could get these wheels: http://jensonusa.com/store/product/WH302A07-Easton+Xc+One+Disc+Wheelset+08.aspx

for $350 and most likely save over a pound right there. Throw two kevlar bead tires and a stans setup on while you are at it, and you will probably be 2 lbs lighter for less than $500.

I have no experience with those wheels, but they seem pretty solid and decently light, esp. for the price. I was thinking of picking up a set as spares so I don't have to ruin $800 wheels on daily rides.

it is an 07...
Thanks for the tips...
I like the fork idea... I can just tell I am beating the hell out of the stock one i have and its not gonna last..

Top Bottom