Upgrade drivetrain Specialized Pitch 27.5

clarkpowers78

My son rides a Specialized Pitch 27.5... perfect bike for a 7th grader who rides hard...outside of the Tourney drive train. He is always dropping/slipping gears and it gets to the point that is it a bit dangerous on the trail.

Checking with those more mechanically inclined to see if this is a upgradeable part of this bike setup? Would love to move him to a better 1x10 or 1x11 setup that can handle harder riding, but I also don't want to break the bank.

Thanks for any insight you all may have!

clarkpowers78

Good... now is that Tourney rear derailleur permanently attached to the hanger or can you screw it off from the hanger?
It can be screwed off

Attachments

• 4E01C48A-BF0B-49E0-B04F-3AD903D54748.jpeg
    4E01C48A-BF0B-49E0-B04F-3AD903D54748.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 96

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
You most likely have a HG free hub. You should be able to upgrade up to 11 speed. Just stay away from stuff that requires XD driver.

mtbiker87

I've been rocking the Microshift 9spd set up on my fat bike , and for the money, it's damn good. You can get the whole set up for cheaper than you can get a good used 10 or 11 spd group for, and it shifts comparable to the mid level stuff from the big boys, and better than anything below SLX/GX in my opinion.

clarkpowers78

I've been rocking the Microshift 9spd set up on my fat bike , and for the money, it's damn good. You can get the whole set up for cheaper than you can get a good used 10 or 11 spd group for, and it shifts comparable to the mid level stuff from the big boys, and better than anything below SLX/GX in my opinion.
Great to hear...very interested in checking it out. Did you have it installed at a shop? Wondering who is working with micro shift as an option

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@mattybfat recently did the Microshift setup on one of his old bikes. Could probably give his opinion...
Actually on my wives bike, other then a little adjustment for cable stretch its been rock solid. I will be replacing another bike if the advent x doesn't sell out now that hard party reviewed it. Everytime he does a review shit is out of stock.

clarkpowers78

Thank you guys for your help and insight...I am reaching out to a couple of shops to price out the upgrades, have to upgrade the brakes as well. You all have provided me some great info to help out in the conversations. Thanks again!

clarkpowers78

Shops are trying to push the SRAM NX vs the Microshift Advent X.... but I have seen really mixed reviews on the NX. Any insight from those of you who chose to go with Advent X?

Top Bottom