Updated Conditions

bclinsure

Although it rained and snowed alot on Tuesday / Wednesday, it's been very sunny, dry and windy since then.

I've never been to Chimney Rock but my friends want to try it out tomorrow morning.

What kind of conditions should we expect and will it be fun?

Lastly, what is a good suggested route?

Thanks in advance.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Depending on how the freeze went, odds are it will still be a sloppy mess. I'm not CR expert, but I'm sure they will chime in.

mtbiskool

Expect alot of slipping and sliding all day long on the rocks if you plan on heading out. I doubt that things drained at all the past few days. Most of the water might be sitting on the trails and there might be frozen patches everywhere. I wouldn't head out if I were you. That's just what I think.

al415

Banned
I rode from 1530 til sunset. I parked at Newman's and used all my willpower to stay on that side of the park... The trails I stayed on were frozen solid. The only time my bike saw water was at stream crossings. Not another soul out there.

woody

What kind of conditions should we expect and will it be fun?
Trails should be nice and solid both Sat and Sun AM, but they'll probably soften up and get sloppy by noon each day, so best to get there as early as possible.
It'll be fun if you're into rocky, rooty stuff and lots of ups & downs.

Lastly, what is a good suggested route?
Most trails are good in both directions, so just grab a map and dive in. The White trails are the easiest, so try that first. Then hit some Blue and/or Red. If Blue and Red are kicking your ass, you might want to stay away from Orange and Yellow. If you're feeling ambitious, Yellow's got the most challenging stuff and its the furthest from the lot.

Enjoy!

mattg

I love CR wet or dry... first half of orange is a little tough when wet but i love the challange...I always start with orange then yellow and blue then white then red...If there is enough time in the day we do blue and red backwards...

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
might get better after tonights freeze, but this place usually takes awhile to dry out. Maybe Woody will chime in with a 1st hand report.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If its not frozen, its going to be a mess.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd wager that the ground is nice and frozen if anyone wants to brave the cold weather. Ride it while you can....

creeker_1

Got there around 11:30 and the ground was good for the most part. My fat but sunk in several spots through a fozen layer but with it stying so cold overnight that should not be a problem tomorrow. As I rode up to my truck to leave, my rear brake was frozen and no longer worked, gotta watch those stream crossings. :D

rlb

Got there around 11:30 and the ground was good for the most part. My fat but sunk in several spots through a fozen layer but with it stying so cold overnight that should not be a problem tomorrow. As I rode up to my truck to leave, my rear brake was frozen and no longer worked, gotta watch those stream crossings. :D

What areas did you hit? Any ice on the trails? I plan to ride there tomorrow early AM.

Last edited:

creeker_1

Rode blue, some red, some orange, some white. There is some ice on the trails but rideable, just need to keep your eyes open. I will be there this morning also at some point, maybe I'll see ya out there.

creeker_1

Just got back. Got there around 8:30 and rode for just over an hour, same trails. Added some additional white today. All frozen up nice. Iciest part was the downhill on orange back toward the rode/reservoir. Less wind today was wonderful, made it feel 10 deg warmer than yesterday. :D

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The rock is riding well with frozen grounds and a layer of fresh snow. What more can you ask for. I'm sure other places are riding well. Get out before it turns to slush! Was surprised to see I was the first tracks there at 8am. Road well even with 1.9 inch 10 year old tires and pedals I couldn't clip into half the time.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here's some photos from today:

chimneyrock.20091231.001.jpg

chimneyrock.20091231.002.jpg

chimneyrock.20091231.008.jpg

chimneyrock.20091231.pano1.jpg

chimneyrock.20091231.pano2.jpg

MMuller

Thinking of meeting some buds tomorrow am. Wondering if there's still snow or if it melted today. Expecting freeze over tonight/tomorrow and wondering how icy it might be when it does freeze. Anyone there this afternoon post up.
thanks

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions