Unwritten Laws of Creating a Strava Segment

Dr Superb

Ok, let's face it, no one wants to create a lame Strava segment, and we all can make fun of who creates some of these ridiculous segments just to say they are KOM.

So, what would you say are the unwritten laws of creating a logical segment?

IE: -must be n miles long
-must start and end at safe areas, or some type of marking point
-must not cross yellow lines
-must be a climb

I don't have the answers, but what do you consider before you put up a segment?

not sure what the rules should be. I just created some "segments" at CCC. Basically just started by making each of the main bike trails a segment. The trails are all short so didn't see the point in making part of a trail a segment. Ceres has the County Lot to Stream which has alot of people doing it, its a fun out and back. That's getting competitive, like a quick TT.
Wiss has some tough climbs and they are made into segements, Monster to Meadows being one of them.

Yeah I think it's cheesy just to create ones just so you can be KOM.

I'm sort of guilty of this :eek: I made it more or less to see if it was a cat 4 climb and to measure myself, but it turns out I'm the only one who rides it so, I'm kom by default. Lame, yes but it also wasn't the intention. Regardless, people are always going to make lame segments.

I avoid it altogether. I upload my info every month or two to see how my rides fit into the segments. I don't ride just for the segments.

Can we talk about segments that strava created using your route and then gave you credit for creating? I have like 8 segments in my created list and I only made one. I'm trying to not get sued, you know?

Strava made 2 segments for me in NYC. It said a 2 block section was a cat 4 climb and I was going something like 200 mph.

Back
Top Bottom