Uninspired, but not Disinterested start to 2017

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Trying to get back into the swing of cycling things since the holidays has been rough. Between a crappy two weeks of cold (was a low of 10 or so for the 4 days) snow, rain and Mandi going back to work, I was not in any rush to try and be outside. I easily talked myself out of it.

"The roads are wet."

"I don't know where my arm warmers are."

I just didn't have the urge to do it.

I was hoping I would never have to ride inside based on the weather down here. Last Monday, I broke. To make sure I wasn't going to get too fat or go too long without pedaling, I dusted off the cobwebs on the trainer and set it up in the living room.

9d51c429-325c-42d1-9f34-56f59c469321_zpssxifoxhy.jpg

Jack seemed to enjoy the sound it created, put him right to sleep after a nice warm bottle. He's been sleeping through the night, which has been amazing. He's smiling and in general is a happy, predictable boy. It's awesome seeing him be happy and he's almost at the point where he's going to start to laugh.

Right now it's easy to kind of let him be on his own or sit on the trainer while he isn't interested in being held, or is due for a quick sleep. In the future, I can see this being harder and harder as he starts recognizes me more, calls for you, that kind of thing. It's a feeling that, as weird as it sounds, seems to be replacing my desire for this peak cycling fitness.

Now I don't want to be fat and shit stuffing my face with canolis for breakfast. I do still enjoy riding bikes and going fast on them. I would never say I'm going to quit bikes or anything like that, I don't see that happening in that extreme at all. I would still like to show up to the 3 hour group ride and drill it with the boys. I still want to put a number on my handle bars or on my back and race. I'm sort of struggling with the idea of just being mediocre in my own eyes and being 100% okay with it at this moment. I need to not think about "what if I trained" or "I'm faster than this". I'm just not sure how I'm going to feel in the next year or so about racing fitness. If you know me, I flip flop back and forth on everything, maybe this is just a phase at the time.

What's on the calendar doe?

The cycling event schedule just never ends here. The last cross race of the year for NCCX is on Saturday, and then the weekend after that, the first MTB Short Track race is happening. It makes sense that you could ride your fitness into Short Track, but up north, it was always the "get the legs going for MTB" season race. Not the "ride your fitness from CX into MTB season". It makes sense why people were freaking RIPPING this time last year. They just finished nationals and were raging. You almost need to pick a discipline to skip in order to not go completely mental. I've always been a fan up peaks and valleys of fitness and down time. Once I started training, it was all I knew and it made sense. You can't be on your A game for 12 months out of the year. Here you can be on the gas all the time and race once a month. So instead of being 100% for 2 months out of the year, it seems you need to be 80%, all year round... I think. Strange.

I've been toying with the idea of unzipping my SSAP SS setup and throwing it on the Scalpel racing the SS category for Short Track. I would probably just do the sport category for my age group anyway based on how the riding schedule has been going, which is fine. I was looking at the times for the Super Sport and my age group and they are almost exactly the same, so why bother. The age group and SS start times are at 10ish instead of 2:40, which makes the whole afternoon open to do things. I don't think I would win my age group... If I did that would be interesting.

While I have sworn off of singlespeeding year round, it's funny how things come full circle. Before we moved down here, I thought that if I was going to stomp the Cat 3 races (we see how that worked out... HA!) I would just race the SS category if I was forced up graded. I would convert the SuperX to a singlespeed and have a fun time. I don't know if I will be traveling as far as I have in the past to race cross, but the ~1 hour away races, it would be fun, I think. Maybe I'll get myself some cut off shorts too?

The snow is melting, the sun is staying out longer and Spring is right around the corner.

tumblr_m934hfztvh1r1ang0o1_400.gif

Mountain Bike Mike

Warning... This period is only a small tease... He'll sleep through the night for a month or so and you'll be like.. This shit is easy peezy... then TEETHING! Teething will wake that kid up. It's not that bad, it just sucks when you went from sleeping 2-3 hours at a clip to sleeping all night and back to waking up because his mouth hurts.

How about when he walks and sticks his hand in your spinning wheel?
Baby-proofing the trainer with baby gates LOL

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
two words
baby orajel -

learn it, live it. also works if you bite your tongue, or the side of your mouth....
has other uses for endurance, iykwim

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Moves south..cant ride outside bc too cold.

im just giving you shit...I actually like riding the trainer at least once a week as there are things im doing on there that I cant do on the road in the dark

This isnt so bad when jack gets to ~6months or so
EYwG6nj.jpg

The Squirrel

My mantra was always, It never gets easier, it only gets different. I guess you can apply that to children AND CX!

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
First weekend of Winter Short Track here in Charlotte. They were calling for storms all day Sunday, but somehow, they stopped at 10am and had a great window to race in some dry, slightly mucky 8/10ths of a mile ST course. Dicky was totally in love/hate with my single speed Scalpel, and the heckling area this go around is ten times better than it was last year. Tons of bells and shouting. Good. This feels better.

I only knew a couple of people in the field, and when I showed up in the parking lot, noticed more and more fast single speed people. When I last checked it was 9 people including me, but it ended up being 20 singlespeeders on the line. Granted not all are going for the win, but I would say half of them are.

No one wants to watch a 40 minute video, so here is lap 1 of the course:

The guy who took off like a rocket was Rich Tsui, does a lot of SSCX and SS MTB stuff. He also knows Ben, which is kind of funny. Just like in any SS race, it's really hard to stay away and create any sort of gap unless you have some sort of elevation change or technical features. Which this course has almost none of. The first half of the course is all down hill, to that "rock garden", then its mostly a slight uphill all the way to the finish. Which is the only part that really ends up hurting your legs/lungs.

Me and one other guy, Chase, on plus bike tire are in our own race. We pretty much roll around together for the next 8-9 laps. I take one stint at the front in the ST just because. Rich is much like me, very aware of his surroundings, says hi to his wife, his daughter gives him a bottle half way through, we chat. Chase laughs too. It's a good group of good dudes pedaling together.

With one lap to go, sitting third wheel through the S/F, both Rich and I try and put in an effort to get away before the U turn into the ST. We were both running the same gear, so it's really a moot point. Rich goes into the ST first, me second, Chase behind. The last couple laps have been plagued by lap traffic, and I must say it may have helped each of us each time. We could never get more than 4 seconds on each other anyway, and it was easily closed by the time you got into the gravel. We are coming into the climb and into the rock roll over. Rich is calling out that he's coming up and is going to go left, but the lapped rider just keeps doing his thing. The rock roller is easily the fastest line, but there is a easier, slightly longer line that goes around the rock. I have a split second to decide to follow Rich and possibly watch him get hung up behind this guy, or take the long way, watch Rich bobble and roll into the finish line solo.

The idea of this is too strong to not attempt, so I go for it. I immediately see lapper clean the rock roller, move over, and watch Chase/Rich keep tons of momenteum and gap me. I'm still in it but farther back than I would like. I burn the last match I had to close the gap before we jump onto the gravel, but I'm clearly out of the slipstream and will have no way to close this gap. I have to roll into the finish in third place.

I must say, I was happy I was able to at least push the pace and keep in the game for this race. Rich and Chase are both super strong riders and while it was more a cat and mouse game than a full out effort, it felt good. The three of us also had the 8th fastest first lap (3:38 was the fastest, 3:42 was our first lap), which makes me feel better that we were drilling it.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice video.. I was braking on the slick turns in my chair.. I would have passed that dude sooner, just sayin.. You lost ground in rocks for a second there. I guess you need to work on that still. Nice job, Dicky is a funny dude.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
XC skiing, ha. I bet you could find some good stuff in the mountains. Apparently it's been warm AF up that way too, It's only 2 hours away though. Yes, the year round fitness thing is strange. I think the real only offseason you have is in the dead of summer, When its a million degrees out.

Another good week of lunch rides, granted slightly colder out, but the routine is building. I'm liking it. Free form style. Thursday I was able to try out 2:1 at the course and I must say, I liked it. The last third of the course hurt a little bit, but at race pace, everything hurts right? I'm going to roll with it. Falls under the, damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda thing.

Todays race was missing the winner from last week, who ended up doing the Super Sport race with gears instead. I saw a couple of other names that I recognized from CX or XC racing, and apparently people love signing up day of and spending extra money... So it is really a crap shoot who is going to show up. This would also be Jacks first bike race, so I didn't want to disappoint. The few people I know point out a few other people who are fast, a bunch of the "Liv-It" guys and some other 19 year old kid look to be super fast. Hopefully some good racing to go down!

Moving pictures over words? Or read along and watch? Your choice

Little more relaxed start this time, Rich takes a huge whole shot followed buy another kid, Dallas who looks legit. On my right I'm passed by one of the guys that was super fast in XC races on some ugly looking head shock 26" Cannondale bike with v-brakes. Apparently he had a back injury and is just getting back around to racing hard again. We single file into the ST and it's Rich, Alan with the 26" bike and Justin. I know Justin is strong AF and crushes a lot of the local CX races in 40+ category, so he is one to watch.

The ground is completely dry now and the course is ripping. It's so dry that the gravel is now marbles, which makes a turn hook up AWESOME become one that is instantly dangerous if you find some of them rocks. About halfway through the first lap, we hear a branch fall in front of us and somehow, some guy is in front of the race cleaning it up. You can see us fly by him in the video. What are the odds. Would have been a mess if that large face slapper was in the way on that downhill for sure.

The rock section with the bigger gear is a little awkward, but still simple enough to ride. My whole goal with running 2:1 was to push on the gravel/road sections, hard. I figured if I could spin that gear hard, and if anyone was on a smaller gear, it would hurt them a lot. I also wanted to really push hard the first two laps, not sit in, any of that crap. We chat on the gravel about rotating and it's just a riot. You can only do so much. As we come through the S/F I see Rich pulling off to sit in and decide to punch it across the road, see what happens. I see that I pulled Justin across with me, leaving Rich and Alan a couple of bike lengths back. Justin comes around me with a huge effort and leads me into the ST.

I stay within a bike length or so, but he slowly opens up a gap on me. I'm not sure if that effort hurt me more than I anticipated or if he was really just riding that section of trail that much better... Still can't figure it out. I was within ear shot most of the second lap. I almost eat shit again on the rock over like last week, on the second lap. Need to calm down. The second lap only puts me 3 seconds behind Justin, but I just can't close it down. I see Rich joined me on lap 2. During lap 3 I lose sight of Justin and realize he is out of touch. Rich and I here some dude hit the deck HARD. Sounded like a atomic bomb behind us. At the end of lap 3 we see it was the 19 year old kid Dallas who took a dirt nap and is on the side of the trail. Bummer. Well not really, now it's just Rich.

Lap 1, 3:33, lap 2, 3:34, lap 3, 3:46. OOF. We are going way faster this time around and I do not have that engine to keep that up. Rich and I both realize we are racing our own second place race. We switch off leading laps back and forth and I do my best to make it hurt on the gravel for him. I got to hear my folks cheering for me (Rich is super popular and a positive dude, so everyone is cheering for him, so it was nice to hear my family cheering for me :))

Each time on the gravel, Rich is able to sit in when I try to push 2:1 around him and it just becomes a game of wasting my matches for no reason. It will be a sprint, as always. I have no idea if I can cover his moves so the second to last lap is a big recovery stretch. We come into the flatter part of the gravel with Rich on my wheel and he says "Alright James, lets do this" and I can feel him coming around me. I'm ready to answer but by the time I go to get on his wheel, he stops pedaling. His chain dropped.

I match his speed and try and push him along to see if he can pedal it back on. I look down and see he was able to pedal it back on the chain ring and I think we are back in business. I peak back and see it's off his rear cog. How does that happen? He falls behind me and I'm completely bummed. I know it is part of racing and at this same venue earlier this year in a CX race, I flatted a tire out of a good battle I was having. but it sucks. I'm not sure if the chain broke, or whatever. I look back and see him running, Unsure if he's back together. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to race Rich. I keep on as normal, maybe slightly more reserved than normal. I run into some lapped traffic and they kindly move over. I still don't hear or see Rich. I get into the last little section before we ramp up onto the gravel and I'm behind THREE lapped riders, just kind of taking their sweet time. I figure if Rich is here now, we have a race.

Sadly, no Rich. He did manage to get his chain back on and put in a huge effort to latch back on, but 20-30 seconds in a race where the laps are closer to 3:45 on average, it's a huge ask. I was able to roll across for second place without any contest... Bummer. Justin ended up beating us by over a minute, which isn't surprising at all. I find Rich after and share my sadness with him, I didn't want to "beat" him like that. You cannot control other peoples equipment but man, what time to let your shit let you down. The new gear made the race almost 1 MPH faster than last week, which was insane. The SS lap times are on part with a lot of the faster dudes. They messed up the Expert first lap times, but 3:31 was the fastest sport lap, while we pushed 3:33. Interesting for sure. Seems that the fastest expert time may be under 3:30.

2CCBF368-41B8-4F99-A9E1-3ED4D89DEDCA_zpsh2ldfqgr.jpg

I decided to be "that guy" and bring my kid onto the podium with me. Granted, both of these guys are older and have kids of their own, it's very humorous.

Also having a 2 month old at a race in general is very stressful. Trying to manage when he needs to get fed, if he is cold, which way the wind is blowing, etc. It takes an army.

I've thought about racing with gears next week maybe, but I'm still not 100% sure. This 2:1 thing is kind of addicting.

Mountain Bike Mike

XC skiing, ha. I bet you could find some good stuff in the mountains. Apparently it's been warm AF up that way too, It's only 2 hours away though. Yes, the year round fitness thing is strange. I think the real only offseason you have is in the dead of summer, When its a million degrees out.

Another good week of lunch rides, granted slightly colder out, but the routine is building. I'm liking it. Free form style. Thursday I was able to try out 2:1 at the course and I must say, I liked it. The last third of the course hurt a little bit, but at race pace, everything hurts right? I'm going to roll with it. Falls under the, damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda thing.

Todays race was missing the winner from last week, who ended up doing the Super Sport race with gears instead. I saw a couple of other names that I recognized from CX or XC racing, and apparently people love signing up day of and spending extra money... So it is really a crap shoot who is going to show up. This would also be Jacks first bike race, so I didn't want to disappoint. The few people I know point out a few other people who are fast, a bunch of the "Liv-It" guys and some other 19 year old kid look to be super fast. Hopefully some good racing to go down!

Moving pictures over words? Or read along and watch? Your choice

Little more relaxed start this time, Rich takes a huge whole shot followed buy another kid, Dallas who looks legit. On my right I'm passed by one of the guys that was super fast in XC races on some ugly looking head shock 26" Cannondale bike with v-brakes. Apparently he had a back injury and is just getting back around to racing hard again. We single file into the ST and it's Rich, Alan with the 26" bike and Justin. I know Justin is strong AF and crushes a lot of the local CX races in 40+ category, so he is one to watch.

The ground is completely dry now and the course is ripping. It's so dry that the gravel is now marbles, which makes a turn hook up AWESOME become one that is instantly dangerous if you find some of them rocks. About halfway through the first lap, we hear a branch fall in front of us and somehow, some guy is in front of the race cleaning it up. You can see us fly by him in the video. What are the odds. Would have been a mess if that large face slapper was in the way on that downhill for sure.

The rock section with the bigger gear is a little awkward, but still simple enough to ride. My whole goal with running 2:1 was to push on the gravel/road sections, hard. I figured if I could spin that gear hard, and if anyone was on a smaller gear, it would hurt them a lot. I also wanted to really push hard the first two laps, not sit in, any of that crap. We chat on the gravel about rotating and it's just a riot. You can only do so much. As we come through the S/F I see Rich pulling off to sit in and decide to punch it across the road, see what happens. I see that I pulled Justin across with me, leaving Rich and Alan a couple of bike lengths back. Justin comes around me with a huge effort and leads me into the ST.

I stay within a bike length or so, but he slowly opens up a gap on me. I'm not sure if that effort hurt me more than I anticipated or if he was really just riding that section of trail that much better... Still can't figure it out. I was within ear shot most of the second lap. I almost eat shit again on the rock over like last week, on the second lap. Need to calm down. The second lap only puts me 3 seconds behind Justin, but I just can't close it down. I see Rich joined me on lap 2. During lap 3 I lose sight of Justin and realize he is out of touch. Rich and I here some dude hit the deck HARD. Sounded like a atomic bomb behind us. At the end of lap 3 we see it was the 19 year old kid Dallas who took a dirt nap and is on the side of the trail. Bummer. Well not really, now it's just Rich.

Lap 1, 3:33, lap 2, 3:34, lap 3, 3:46. OOF. We are going way faster this time around and I do not have that engine to keep that up. Rich and I both realize we are racing our own second place race. We switch off leading laps back and forth and I do my best to make it hurt on the gravel for him. I got to hear my folks cheering for me (Rich is super popular and a positive dude, so everyone is cheering for him, so it was nice to hear my family cheering for me :))

Each time on the gravel, Rich is able to sit in when I try to push 2:1 around him and it just becomes a game of wasting my matches for no reason. It will be a sprint, as always. I have no idea if I can cover his moves so the second to last lap is a big recovery stretch. We come into the flatter part of the gravel with Rich on my wheel and he says "Alright James, lets do this" and I can feel him coming around me. I'm ready to answer but by the time I go to get on his wheel, he stops pedaling. His chain dropped.

I match his speed and try and push him along to see if he can pedal it back on. I look down and see he was able to pedal it back on the chain ring and I think we are back in business. I peak back and see it's off his rear cog. How does that happen? He falls behind me and I'm completely bummed. I know it is part of racing and at this same venue earlier this year in a CX race, I flatted a tire out of a good battle I was having. but it sucks. I'm not sure if the chain broke, or whatever. I look back and see him running, Unsure if he's back together. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to race Rich. I keep on as normal, maybe slightly more reserved than normal. I run into some lapped traffic and they kindly move over. I still don't hear or see Rich. I get into the last little section before we ramp up onto the gravel and I'm behind THREE lapped riders, just kind of taking their sweet time. I figure if Rich is here now, we have a race.

Sadly, no Rich. He did manage to get his chain back on and put in a huge effort to latch back on, but 20-30 seconds in a race where the laps are closer to 3:45 on average, it's a huge ask. I was able to roll across for second place without any contest... Bummer. Justin ended up beating us by over a minute, which isn't surprising at all. I find Rich after and share my sadness with him, I didn't want to "beat" him like that. You cannot control other peoples equipment but man, what time to let your shit let you down. The new gear made the race almost 1 MPH faster than last week, which was insane. The SS lap times are on part with a lot of the faster dudes. They messed up the Expert first lap times, but 3:31 was the fastest sport lap, while we pushed 3:33. Interesting for sure. Seems that the fastest expert time may be under 3:30.

2CCBF368-41B8-4F99-A9E1-3ED4D89DEDCA_zpsh2ldfqgr.jpg

I decided to be "that guy" and bring my kid onto the podium with me. Granted, both of these guys are older and have kids of their own, it's very humorous.

Also having a 2 month old at a race in general is very stressful. Trying to manage when he needs to get fed, if he is cold, which way the wind is blowing, etc. It takes an army.

I've thought about racing with gears next week maybe, but I'm still not 100% sure. This 2:1 thing is kind of addicting.

Good on you to keep at it after having the boy!

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
We already had a discussion about podium baby.

I think you know what you need to do.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
If you are going to do podium baby, I think you should go full-podium baby and have a different costume for him every time -- like dress him up as Sid Vicious one time, The Bandit another time, and then maybe Tyler Perry's Madea yet another time, etc. That would make it fun for everyone.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Warning... This period is only a small tease... He'll sleep through the night for a month or so and you'll be like.. This shit is easy peezy... then TEETHING! Teething will wake that kid up. It's not that bad, it just sucks when you went from sleeping 2-3 hours at a clip to sleeping all night and back to waking up because his mouth hurts.

Baby-proofing the trainer with baby gates LOL
This is where alcohol comes in handy. I can sleep right through all the crying in the world. Dropping alcohol now as both my boys are sleeping well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom