Unimpressed by Mac

Not So Fast

So I bought a new Mac comp this week, my first. So far I am not impressed. I'm hoping that you Mac users can show me what's to love about this machine.

After 20 + years on PC's I feel like I have to relearn how to maneuver around. i.e.. I opened my mailbox, expanded it and there was no icon to close out. After talking it through with my nephew (non apple user) I discovered that the toolbar was hidden on top of the screen so I pulled it down and was able to close out of the mail box. 5 frustrating minutes.

I find the font size on all the screens to be too small.

I'm not sure how to put shortcuts for the browsers (internet explorer and mozilla).

Hey wheres the backspace on the keyboard? There is just a delete key.

This also feels like apple is spying on me with everything I do.....I'm leaning on taking this thing back.

PS. I like to listen internet radio in the background. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Last edited:

ebineezer

You'll get used to it Rich. I honestly think that mac is very user-friendly...just give it some time.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
You definitely have to "relearn" the way you get around a computer when doing the switch. Honestly, I found I had to stop over-thinking where something would be or how I do something on my Mac. Give it a little time and hopefully you will like the change.

My first few times with the Mac I had a very similar reaction. It's been years since I have had my Mac now and I am really happy with it.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I have the opposite issue at work now. I'm so less productive on the PC.

soulchild

what kind of mac are you using? if it's not a Macbook, do yourself a favor and buy the magic trackpad... the gestures are where it's at... besides that you need to go find some tips and tricks on how to actually use a Mac... if you're just clicking on the mouse and browsing the web you're not using .0001% of what a Mac can do...

J-Dro

Hopefully GTLuke, our resident Apple expert, will chime in with his unique insight.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had similar issues when I first got the Mac. On the PC I hardly ever have to use the mouse. On the Mac, not so much. Anyway, I've gotten used to it enough that I don't mind it. I like to be versatile so I try to get use to everything, pc, mac, linux, dos.

Few things I like about the Mac. The gui feels smoother than PC or linux. The Mail program is the best I've ever used - The threading is top notch hardly any lag time when you do stuff even with 1000000000 emails in your inbox. When you close the laptop, it actually sleeps correctly and wakes up with everything working.

gtluke

The Moped
ComputerCoolSchool2.jpg

jackx

I hope you learn quickly. I've had a Macbook for 2+ years and I frequently feel inefficient with it. Sort of like my change a few months ago from a motorola Droid cell phone to an iPhone 4s. same feeling...

the Macintosh interface is elegant, but it seems very constrained compared to a PC. Sort of like the Android phones compared to the iPhone. the iPhone seems limited with regards to what the user can do unless jailbreaking it.

One thing that you might find to be nice with the mac is the integration you can have if you have an iPhone with calendars via the iCloud.

To close mail, you should be able to select "Mail" from the top Menu bar and then click on "Quit Mail."

Best of luck if you keep it. I'll be watching this thread for helpful tips.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
To quit any application just hit Command-Q.

It helps a lot to learn key commands. Makes working and getting around 10X more efficient. Seems like there's a key command for almost anything.

Iv'e been a Mac user for over 13 years now and the only reason I still buy them is simply because it's all I know, not necesarrily because they are "better".

Yeah, You definetely have to re-learn and get used to the unfamilier UI. I was at Kinkos yesterday and had to use a PC. I havent touched a PC in probably 6 years and had no idea how to do anything on it.

rlb

I hope you learn quickly. I've had a Macbook for 2+ years and I frequently feel inefficient with it. Sort of like my change a few months ago from a motorola Droid cell phone to an iPhone 4s. same feeling..

You're going in the wrong direction ;)

spydercrab

mac

I bought a macbook pro 2 years ago, and I have been quite happy. To backspace, I use the delete or the left arrow key. For different short cuts, I used google for a list, or check out youtube. In iTunes you can stream all sorts of music. I hope this helps a little.

Not So Fast

So there is no back space, only delete and arrow, So now it takes two key strokes to do something that was one stroke. (I make a a lot of typing errors).

I can't seem to print. I've installed my printer driver, when I try to print nothing happens. In the printer que the document is there with an error. I have no idea what is wrong. :cry:
OK...issue solved. I have now connected the MAC to my wireless router. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom