Unbound—-has it become the biggest one day race in the world?

Mostly correct, only caveat being "racing alongside some of the top world tour riders" There is usually one or 2 WT riders there, in the future there might be more, but as far as I know there was one last year and there is one (very good one) there this year.

This might be the most no trolling DT thread ever.

Anyways, I saw Matej Mohorič is riding unbound, who some of you may know won the longest of the road cycling monuments in 2022, Milan San Remo at 185 miles. Ironically MSR is considered a "flat" until the last two hills monument and also the known as the sprinters monument. Having seen this "flat terrain" in person, it ain't so flat. Much like flint hills aren't so flat.

While other euro pros have raced unbound, it always makes you wonder if it is just a sponsorship thing as many of them seem to just be there to ride it like a sportive (Sagan).

Can he win it without the uber specific prep the gravel guys are doing, mostly in the support along the course? Maybe not…

While other euro pros have raced unbound, it always makes you wonder if it is just a sponsorship thing as many of them seem to just be there to ride it like a sportive (Sagan).

Can he win it without the uber specific prep the gravel guys are doing, mostly in the support along the course? Maybe not…
Actually you don't have to wonder, for example last year Larry Warbese did the race, and he was pretty open in interviews I heard that he did it because BMC (his bike team sponsor last year) asked him to do it.

Mehoric is doing it because he is the current gravel world champion, so he is actually there to race, will he win, I have no clue, can he win? absolutely!.

Meh. Unbound is big in the US; Flanders, Roubaix, San Remo, etc will always be the monuments and the most prestigious races. Would you rather win Unbound or Flanders. No question, you win Flanders or Roubaix and you are a legend. You win Unbound 5x and in 10 years no one will remember. Keegan is cool and fast but he is not winning Flanders or Roubaix any time soon IMO. Unbound and Lifetime are cool and I like following but it is a big marketing machine. Maybe more hype than they deserve? Not sure to tell the truth.

Last edited:
Meh. Unbound is big in the US; Flanders, Roubaix, San Remo, etc will always be the monuments and the most prestigious races. Would you rather win Unbound or Flanders. No question, you win Flanders or Roubaix and you are a legend. You win Unbound 5x and in 10 years no one will remember. Keegan is cool and fast but he is not winning Flanders or Roubaix any time soon IMO. Unbound and Lifetime are cool and I like following but it is a big marketing machine. Maybe more hype than they deserve? Not sure to tell the truth.
But technically those races are not 'gravel'.

Mostly correct, only caveat being "racing alongside some of the top world tour riders" There is usually one or 2 WT riders there, in the future there might be more, but as far as I know there was one last year and there is one (very good one) there this year.
Pete stetina, ben king, mahoric, allaphillipe I think? Alexi, pretty sure quite a few more this year

Last edited:
The fact that there is no cash payout of is crazy too. Sagan was the biggest name to do it, Remember when EF brought Phinney and everyone cried it wasnt gravel because of the big team atmosphere and now Keegan and Sofia have like 20 people each supporting them.

So biggest race in the world, this year is 5000 people. So it is very well might be the biggest race in the world. Thag be said, 5 boro ride is 32,000

Pete stetina, ben king, mahoric, allaphillipe I think? Alexi, pretty sure wuite a few more this year
I dont think Allaphilippe ever did it, yes there are many retired WT pros there, no doubt about that, many more then you listed but as far as active, it's one.

Back
Top Bottom