Tymor race recap

wlee

Cat 2 45-49.Woke up and its POURING ! wow this is going to be messy that place gets like peanut butter when its wet. Grab my number plate and all of the sudden it just stopped raining. Turn on my garmin and it says "low battery" :hmmm: just took it off the charger last night and also realise I forgot my helmet home :cry:. Not a good start to a day. Walk down to turn 1 to see the cat 3 guys off, I have a good buddy in the 40-49 class and to learn what line is working and realise just stay off the mud and on the pine needles. Well we take off and I drop to like 10 th ,not good but at turn 1 everybody bunches up and hit my downshifts perfectly and flew up it on the needles and jump into about 5 th,cant believe it went so smooth. Start getting into a flow and pass a few other guys from other clsses and still cant believe no one is on my wheel yet cause there are some heavy hitters in my class. Hit that black dirt section which I love and cant get around a slower rider and instead of being patient I make a move but the bike low sides and I hit a tree with my right shoulder so hard it almost took the wind out of me, I can still hear all the things cracking in my neck. Pull over and I think i`m done cause i cant raise my arm so how am I going to drink. After what seemed like a minute or so no one passed me so I decide to just go and it subsides a bit ,adrenallin is a great thing.Cross the street which I never did before and it is rediculous, cant believe how much climbing there was.walked most of them since i cant pull on the bars with my right hand and loose a couple spots but I just want to finish. See matty and tell him I`m hurting and he said "just keep going" and those words I kept saying to myself the rest of the race.Thanks Matty ! Finally start going downhill and cross the road and hit the feedzone and switch bottles and go.Then I see Segundo working on his front tire which is not cool cause he is a good guy and yell at him to get going. Now i`m in the dont loose anymore position mode and clear the first section without any problems and see the tree I hit which was the last one before the fireroad. Stupid on my part for hitting it. I catch Mtnrider and ride with him for a while and tell him to go cause I`m hurting and we are not racing each other.We cross the street and here we go again back to the endless climbs and Dave (mtnrider) makes them, I still cant believe he made that climb, Dave you are an animal ! Go to drink while Im walking and the arm says nope ain`t moving that way so i dont think about drinking anymore and start going down finally but see like 4 guys in my class gunning for me so i just ripped and hit the field and opened a gap on them and finally get to the finish line ! See Steve336 and bobmadd and tell them and when I grab my shoulder its has a bump the size of a golf ball and it hurts bigtime. On a good note see the results and finished 4 th in my class, my first top 5 in cat 2 so i`m happy. No work today, staying home to try to heal cause the sixpack is sunday and i dont want to miss it .Congrats to mtnrider on finishing 7 th in his first cat 2 race, Steve336 on getting 6 th, bobmadd on getting forth and Segundo.......well you are amazing, you took a bad fall, flatted i was told and still finished 4 th. Amazing.

joeschaar

Photos

Hello all,

Was Luke or Coogs taking pictures yesterday at Tymor?

Anyone I got pictures of have gotten them from me, already. I was just looking for the more official photos.

Cheers,

"slow" Joe

Pampa

Good race, bad luck

Again, a LOOOONG recap. I guess this reflects how fun/intense it was for me...

Yesterday was a bitter-sweet day for me. Got to the race in decent shape, nursing a couple of injuries but thinking I could contest for a place in the podium. After getting my number and seeing the Cat 3 guys taking off, I got changed and went for a warm-up with a few Marty's riders, with whom I ride often.

On the lineup I see a small field and the Marty's guys all neatly lined up as a squadron and I lineup w/ them in the front while Victor did some voodoo on me telling me "good race, bad luck" :hmmm: (just kidding, I know it was all my doing). I wanted to get to the ST in one of the first positions to avoid potential problems/jams there. Whistle goes off and another Marty's rider (Tim) shoots out fast in front. Fine with me, I'm happy to follow at that pace so we go into the ST and made the climb w/o problems. Very soon we came up on riders from the previous classes. I think 1 min. intervals were definitely too short, especially given how muddy/ slippery it was. So the inevitable happened, we got stuck/ delayed (not just me but a bunch of us at the front of the peloton) behind walking/falling riders. In any case, it wasn't that bad and it started to clear quickly once we were deeper into the woods.

I was following Marty's fast guy #2 (John), who made a few mistakes but recovered very well and quickly. I saw Victor behind me a couple of times so it looks like it’s the 3 of us in the front. At this point I'm feeling good and just wanted to pass people and put distance between myself and the Marty's guys because I knew I was going to lose ground to them on the hills. When I felt Tim was slowing down a bit I passed him and tried to put as many riders between us.

When I came on the grass field I could not see them so I was able to pull a gap but as I expected the hill slowed me down. I recently changed my gearing to from a 32T/11-34 to a 34T/11-32 to get stronger but didn't have nearly enough training time on this gearing to be able to push it at decent cadence on those hills. I got off the bike 3 or 4 times and got back in but my cadence was really low and I got really tired (I'm a spinner). Near the top I saw that both of them were near me so I tried again to open a gap with the Marty's guys, which I did.

Things cleared up at this point and I was in decent shape when I was getting to the start line to finish my first lap. I pass the feeding area and Matty pumps me up with his cheers, maybe a bit too much since right after that I (unnecessarily) went for a pass on a tricky spot (the grassy and wet downhill right before entering the pavement ). I made the pass w/o bothering the other rider but I almost lost it. I was able to straighten the bike and go through the gate (phew!) and thought I was home free so as soon as I hit the pavement I stood on the bike, like to sprint. Why? I don’t know. Don’t think the guy I had just passed was going to try to pass me and in any case what do I care, he was from another group. I just felt “happy” and strong and wanted to push it. Not sure what happened there, I think the rear of my bike (HT) bounced and I was still a bit sideways coming from skidding on the grass. The thing is that I was sliding down the pavement on my left side before I knew it.

I got up and got on my bike immediately really angry at myself thinking “this is going to hurt a lot later” and took off now trying to make up for this lost time but then 50 yards after crossing the bridge on the fire road my front tire goes almost completely flat and (again) before I knew it I lost control and fell on the side of the road (at least this time it was slipping in grass and not pavement).

I got up and I spot a rip on the side wall of the tire and could hear the air still coming out. In hindsight, it was clear I needed to throw a tube but I still tried to fix it with 2 CO2 cartridges to no avail. The tire was spitting Stans on the side so I finally decide to put in the tube. Here is where it gets funny. I try to unseat the bead of the tire but it’s really tight and somehow I end up pulling with both hands and my face at two inches from the tire, watching intently to see if the damn thing is giving up or not. Finally the bead started to unseat but in the process the remaining air came out with some Stans and sprayed my face and eyes :hitsfan:. Luckily, the Stans didn't itch or anything. I washed my eyes with some sports drink from my Camel back and tried to get the tube in.

Of course, now the valve is not coming out and is rotating together with the washer and full of Stans:mad: In the mean time I see several people I passed going by and offering me their sympathies (thank you guys) but I also see my competition fly by and I get really clumsy trying to speed things up. Got my gloves off and finally get the valve out, the tube in and the air in too. However, when I put the axle in (15mm Maxle QR) is very hard and doesn’t wanna go all the way thru :confused: After some wrestling and pushing I noticed something wrong, the rotor was on the other side of the fork! Now of course, it was really hard to get the axle out but finally it came out luckily nothing got bent/ broken. I think all this happened in “only” 5 min or so.

I finally get going and assess the situation. I think the Marty’s guys are gone but you never know and I can still probably catch some other folks in my group. It took me a couple of min. to get back in rhythm after “sitting” for 5 min but soon I came up on some riders and started making passes. I was counting how many people I was passing for extra motivation:getsome: The first 15 went relatively fast but then things slowed down when I came up on fewer and faster riders. I finally came up on some familiar faces from my group (Dave & Steve :)). On the downhill section I came up on Dustin (#25 :)) and tried a pass on a tricky section that almost got me killed. Not Dustin’s fault, he didn’t even notice it, I didn’t call it b/c it wasn’t a good place to pass but I thought I could pull it off w/o bothering him. So I rode his wheel a bit and passed him and another rider before going into the grass. There I could see two riders kind of too far away to catch before the finish but I thought they probably think it’s done since they seem to be talking and riding together (maybe riders from different classes). I pushed it but I could not catch them. It turned out that one of them was 3rd place in my category and finished 31” ahead of me:mad: I should have pushed a bit harder!

Good race, bad luck indeed :D but at least I did it “my way” :getsome:

Willy congratulations!!! You're getting stronger by the minute!

Nice to see everyone. See you at Lewis Morris.

Last edited:

wlee

Again, a LOOOONG recap. I guess this reflects how fun/intense it was for me...

Yesterday was a bitter-sweet day for me. Got to the race in decent shape, nursing a couple of injuries but thinking I could contest for a place in the podium. After getting my number and seeing the Cat 3 guys taking off, I got changed and went for a warm-up with a few Marty's riders, with whom I ride often.

On the lineup I see a small field and the Marty's guys all neatly lined up as a squadron and I lineup w/ them in the front while Victor did some voodoo on me telling me "good race, bad luck" :hmmm: (just kidding, I know it was all my doing). I wanted to get to the ST in one of the first positions to avoid potential problems/jams there. Whistle goes off and another Marty's rider (Tim) shoots out fast in front. Fine with me, I'm happy to follow at that pace so we go into the ST and made the climb w/o problems. Very soon we came up on riders from the previous classes. I think 1 min. intervals were definitely too short, especially given how muddy/ slippery it was. So the inevitable happened, we got stuck/ delayed (not just me but a bunch of us at the front of the peloton) behind walking/falling riders. In any case, it wasn't that bad and it started to clear quickly once we were deeper into the woods.

I was following Marty's fast guy #2 (Tim), who made a few mistakes but recovered very well and quickly. I saw Victor behind me a couple of times so it looks like it’s the 3 of us in the front. At this point I'm feeling good and just wanted to pass people and put distance between myself and the Marty's guys because I knew I was going to lose ground to them on the hills. When I felt Tim was slowing down a bit I passed him and tried to put as many riders between us.

When I came on the grass field I could not see them so I was able to pull a gap but as I expected the hill slowed me down. I recently changed my gearing to from a 32T/11-34 to a 34T/11-32 to get stronger but didn't have nearly enough training time on this gearing to be able to push it at decent cadence on those hills. I got off the bike 3 or 4 times and got back in but my cadence was really low and I got really tired (I'm a spinner). Near the top I saw that both of them were near me so I tried again to open a gap with the Marty's guys, which I did.

Things cleared up at this point and I was in decent shape when I was getting to the start line to finish my first lap. I pass the feeding area and Matty pumps me up with his cheers, maybe a bit too much since right after that I (unnecessarily) went for a pass on a tricky spot (the grassy and wet downhill right before entering the pavement ). I made the pass w/o bothering the other rider but I almost lost it. I was able to straighten the bike and go through the gate (phew!) and thought I was home free so as soon as I hit the pavement I stood on the bike, like to sprint. Why? I don’t know. Don’t think the guy I had just passed was going to try to pass me and in any case what do I care, he was from another group. I just felt “happy” and strong and wanted to push it. Not sure what happened there, I think the rear of my bike (HT) bounced and I was still a bit sideways coming from skidding on the grass. The thing is that I was sliding down the pavement on my left side before I knew it.

I got up and got on my bike immediately really angry at myself thinking “this is going to hurt a lot later” and took off now trying to make up for this lost time but then 50 yards after crossing the bridge on the fire road my front tire goes almost completely flat and (again) before I knew it I lost control and fell on the side of the road (at least this time it was slipping in grass and not pavement).

I got up and I spot a rip on the side wall of the tire and could hear the air still coming out. In hindsight, it was clear I needed to throw a tube but I still tried to fix it with 2 CO2 cartridges to no avail. The tire was spitting Stans on the side so I finally decide to put in the tube. Here is where it gets funny. I try to unseat the bead of the tire but it’s really tight and somehow I end up pulling with both hands and my face at two inches from the tire, watching intently to see if the damn thing is giving up or not. Finally the bead started to unseat but in the process the remaining air came out with some Stans and sprayed my face and eyes :hitsfan:. Luckily, the Stans didn't itch or anything. I washed my eyes with some sports drink from my Camel back and tried to get the tube in.

Of course, now the valve is not coming out and is rotating together with the washer and full of Stans:mad: In the mean time I see several people I passed going by and offering me their sympathies (thank you guys) but I also see my competition fly by and I get really clumsy trying to speed things up. Got my gloves off and finally get the valve out, the tube in and the air in too. However, when I put the axle in (15mm Maxle QR) is very hard and doesn’t wanna go all the way thru :confused: After some wrestling and pushing I noticed something wrong, the rotor was on the other side of the fork! Now of course, it was really hard to get the axle out but finally it came out luckily nothing got bent/ broken. I think all this happened in “only” 5 min or so.

I finally get going and assess the situation. I think the Marty’s guys are gone but you never know and I can still probably catch some other folks in my group. It took me a couple of min. to get back in rhythm after “sitting” for 5 min but soon I came up on some riders and started making passes. I was counting how many people I was passing for extra motivation:getsome: The first 15 went relatively fast but then things slowed down when I came up on fewer and faster riders. I finally came up on some familiar faces from my group (Dave & Steve :)). On the downhill section I came up on Dustin (#25 :)) and tried a pass on a tricky section that almost got me killed. Not Dustin’s fault, he didn’t even notice it, I didn’t call it b/c it wasn’t a good place to pass but I thought I could pull it off w/o bothering him. So I rode his wheel a bit and passed him and another rider before going into the grass. There I could see two riders kind of too far away to catch before the finish but I thought they probably think it’s done since they seem to be talking and riding together (maybe riders from different classes). I pushed it but I could not catch them. It turned out that one of them was 3rd place in my category and finished 31” ahead of me:mad: I should have pushed a bit harder!

Good race, bad luck indeed :D but at least I did it “my way” :getsome:

Willy congratulations!!! You're getting stronger by the minute!

Nice to see everyone. See you at Lewis Morris.
Thanks Segundo, I think the Stans must of had some high octane in it cause you even with all those issues you almost podiumed again ! Congratulations !

MtnRider

My First Cat 2 Race!!!!!

Left the house around 7 with my wife trying to figure out why I'm smiling and reminding me that I'm crazy to be heading out in the rain.

I've really been looking forward to stepping up to Cat2 and despite being down and out with the flu for a couple of weeks I felt strong from my "recovery" past 3 weeks of riding.

Got up to Tymor and saw many familiar faces and it felt good to be a part of the larger mountain bike community again.

Lined up with the Marty's crew & Steve336 and was ready to roll. The group started off pretty tight and I was keeping the leaders in eyesight while I was trying to figure out the right pace - eventually I gave in to the Willy method of just push as hard as you can until you drop :)

Steve336 slipped on an uphill and I was able to get by him - feeling good as I know he is damn fast these days. I'm pushing and didn't see the diagonal downhill root (pipe?) that I flipped over last year and I guess for deja vu I go and slip on it again and lose a few spots and get passed by Steve.

Pull the bike off the ground and jump on in pursuit and when I get to the monster hill across the road I see almost everyone walking so I attack the damn thing, pass 5 guys including Steve and make it to the top without stopping - ok so now I'm in the game.

But by the time I got to the downhill sections my glasses had fogged up and I could barely see anything and after I few close calls I had to stop to put them away. With trying to rush and stuff them into my jersey pocket the nose piece falls off so I'm hunting in the leaves until I find it and by the time I put everything away Steve and the rest of the guys pass me by (including Willy & Percy from 45-49 group)

Get to the grassy field for some encouragement from Matty (thanks) and figure I'll push hard and catch everyone on the 2nd lap at the big hill again.

The classes are all mixed up at this point but I pass some more guys in the starting area when I see Segundo dealing with a mechanical. I pass Percy on an uphill and a few seconds later Segundo blows by me (nice comeback - maybe you should start considering Cat1?). I finally catch up to Willy and while we're not racing each other directly it's a good motivator.

Get to the monster hill and climb & pass again :) and I'm absolutely wiped when I get to the top and realize I'm out of Gels & Water but I know I'm almost there so I push on. The last big downhill was sketchy and my tire hit something and I started to slide sideways but somehow used enough body english to get back on track and avoid a major spill.

Cross the finish line in under 2 hours mid-pack in 7th place.

Overall I'm really happy and "get"what everyone has been telling me about Cat2

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Segundo IS cat 1 material. When he settles down and realizes how fast he is he'll be unstoppable.:D

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let Segundo enjoy himself a bit in cat2. Let him cherish a few wins for all his hard work. There's plenty of time to move up later.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let Segundo enjoy himself a bit in cat2. Let him cherish a few wins for all his hard work. There's plenty of time to move up later.

yea really. Let the guy win a few. :D

Pampa

The pressure started early this year, eh? :) The truth is that Victor was was right there with until the end in Wawayanda and in this race he beat me for more than 5 min. Even without the mechanical I think it would have been close between us again. Plus there are other fast guys in the group too. I think we have a good group and "good rivalries" are brewing already at different places in the table and that should make for an exciting season for everyone.

Dave congrats on your finish. I forgot this was your 1st Cat 2 race. I also like it better that Cat 3. It's not just an extra lap but it's more interesting as you have do some thinking too.

I also agree Steve336 is riding strong too. Since I saw him until I caught up with him it took me a while and then I remember I made a mistake crossing that stream over the rocks path and it surprised me a bit when I heard his bike crossing too, right behind me. That made me push more to get away, thanks :D

Oreo

Nice video Pixy, i wish the pack moved that smooth through the woods in Cat 2 :D thanks for posting.
Segundo, great ride man! when I saw you fixing a flat I thought Im gonna finish ahead of you this time :D Then saw you grinding up the top of shale section about 1 mile to the finish and gaining on me, I let you through. Not a big turn out in Tymor but all the hard hitters were in attendance except Jose H. who finished 2nd in Wayway, Great group indeed, looking forward to the series.
Dave I was right behind you when you hit the diagonal root, thanks for the early warning :D you're lucky, no helmet cam that day.

Alex

Last edited:

wlee

Thank you guys! I'll do my best to make that happen soon :)

After a bit more thought I would have to agree with Kirt, because i`m sure its a whole other world in Cat 1. Enjoy and get some wins Segundo. !

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Segundo caught me on the top of the shit hill. He was killing it on those downhills. I'm 100% certain that NO ONE was going as fast as him on those downhills.

Pampa

Nice video Pixy, i wish the pack moved that smooth through the woods in Cat 2 :D thanks for posting.
Segundo, great ride man! when I saw you fixing a flat I thought Im gonna finish ahead of you this time :D Then saw you grinding up the top of shale section about 1 mile to the finish and gaining on me, I let you through. Not a big turn out in Tymor but all the hard hitters were in attendance except Jose H. who finished 2nd in Wayway, Great group indeed, looking forward to the series.
Dave I was right behind you when you hit the diagonal root, thanks for the early warning :D you're lucky, no helmet cam that day.

Alex

Thank you Alex. I thought you were a rider from a younger class when I passed you. I just now put together all in one body (name+avatar/handle+rider) :)

Top Bottom