TX -> NJ

Microwave

Just moved to Chester from DFW after spending most of my life in Austin. Rode my 94 Yeti on the Emma Long almost every week when younger. Now due to health issues I'm waiting on an eMTB. I miss the trails and that's what I need to get back. Are the state parks like Lewis Morris and the Del Water Gap (Stokes just north of DWG) eMTB friendly? Also what's the longest amount of trail around where you can just cruise and pump?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Most of us have no problem with the e-squad - so even tho they are "technically" not allowed, more than likely nobody will say
anything, and if you get one of the stealthier looking ones, the rangers won't notice. No passing people on the fire road climbs tho ;)

We don't have long trails! but there are some solid multi-park trail systems. Post up when you are ready to go, and we'll get ya hooked up.
I'm not familiar with your home trails, but we have a variety! A good move would be to learn to love rocks.

1595287387289.png

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are the state parks like Lewis Morris and the Del Water Gap (Stokes just north of DWG) eMTB friendly? Also what's the longest amount of trail around where you can just cruise and pump?
Lewis Morris is small, it's tough to fly under the radar there and the trails are bland. We were just out past the Water Gap this weekend in PA at Glen Park. It's worth the drive, good downhill stuff with rocks, kinda Enduro like riding. We always see ebikes there. Also Allamuchy has many miles of trails and rocks.

I'm not sure what you mean by cruise and pump? Like Pat said, we're kinda neutral here with ebikes but it's best to stay under the radar, which means avoiding what I call the tourist parks like 6mile and Allaire.

Welcome Tex.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Longest cruise & pump in the state is the D&R Canal. Mostly cruise though. Not a lot of pump.

E-bikes are pretty much not legal anywhere so you’ll get some mixed reception here about that. New England is much more progressive in that regard but I know that’s not what you asked.

Nassau isn’t too far from you. Check that park out. Much fun to be had there.

TimBay

Just moved to Chester from DFW after spending most of my life in Austin. Rode my 94 Yeti on the Emma Long almost every week when younger. Now due to health issues I'm waiting on an eMTB. I miss the trails and that's what I need to get back. Are the state parks like Lewis Morris and the Del Water Gap (Stokes just north of DWG) eMTB friendly? Also what's the longest amount of trail around where you can just cruise and pump?
Welcome. Get ready for some great pizza and disappointing BBQ. Lol. Yeah, what they all said.

Microwave

Thanks for all the great info. Yeah I figured I'll get some noise from some about going e. By cruise and pump I mean long, very long uphill switchbacks followed by some awesome descent.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
By cruise and pump I mean long, very long uphill switchbacks followed by some awesome descent.
Stephens State Park, Hally To up and then you have options, or head further west into PA and check out Glen Park. Just don't go to fast uphill, make it look like you're pedaling.

Mr. E Man

Thanks everyone. We moved so we would know what it's like to pay a ton of taxes lol.
Welcome. My good friend of mine is moving to Texas in the fall. He was telling me how cheap it is there but the income is half of what it is in NJ, but it’s all relative.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG

In May 2019, NJ formally recognized ebikes as a new class of vehicle "low-speed electric bicycle" In New Jersey, unless explicitly banned by the land manager, all places where it is legal to use a bicycle, it is also legal to operate a class 1 or class 2 ebike. Pretty much any bike you find from a reputable bike manufacturer such as specialized, trek, etc. are all going to be compliant and have the required Class I or II sticker on them.

Summary: https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/917740
If you like hurting yourself: https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/AL19/121_.PDF

Cliffs Notes' version: https://wsd-pfb-sparkinfluence.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2020/01/E-Bike-Law-Handouts_NJ_2020.pdf

BTW, Lewis Morris is a Morris County Park.

Top Bottom