Turo

Dean S

I have rented some regular cars/suvs for family trips through Turo about 5 times now, all excellent experiences. Decent selection around Morris County. Easy pick ups & drop offs using my bicycle. I really relish not having to visit and deal the w/ old school rental agencies.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah that's a bit nicer than the 20 year old minivan a coworker and I got from Turo to drive from Vegas to Hurricane a few years ago :p

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
out of curiosity just looked to see what's available in my area this weekend and its like 12 toyota camrys and a McLaren 720. There is no in between lol. Mclaren is $600/day o_O

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
out of curiosity just looked to see what's available in my area this weekend and its like 12 toyota camrys and a McLaren 720. There is no in between lol. Mclaren is $600/day o_O

I'd do that for a special occasion. Did it have a 3 day minimum?

I was looking to rent a Bentley GT for the Queen's Birthday. There was one down here (Florida) that was reasonable, but didn't want the 3 days.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd do that for a special occasion. Did it have a 3 day minimum?

I was looking to rent a Bentley GT for the Queen's Birthday. There was one down here (Florida) that was reasonable, but didn't want the 3 days.
I didn't see anything about a minimum but he did offer a "special gift" for booking 5+ days. Some of the rules had me laughing. No Launch Control and No Burnouts :(

krink

Eddie Munster
No, it was early March and there was still snow/mud. There are tons of other trails around there though, so it wasn't a big deal.
Was thinking about driving there last week but didn’t for the same reasons as you mentioned.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
PRO TIP.

If you plan on driving "enthusiastically", check the OBD-II port for a tracker. If found, pull it. Return vehicle and hand tracker to owner and tell him you found it on the floorboard...maybe your knee hit it and knocked it off.

PRO TIP #2.

Look for unlimited mileage rentals. GT350 and XJR were both unlimited mileage and fun (in IN and TN).

PRO TIP #3.

Do not rent to me.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
PRO TIP.

If you plan on driving "enthusiastically", check the OBD-II port for a tracker. If found, pull it. Return vehicle and hand tracker to owner and tell him you found it on the floorboard...maybe your knee hit it and knocked it off.

PRO TIP #2.

Look for unlimited mileage rentals. GT350 and XJR were both unlimited mileage and fun (in IN and TN).

PRO TIP #3.

Do not rent to me.
The McLaren I was looking at specified no tracker which I thought was weird right next to the "no launch control and no burnouts" rule. Like he's saying Go Nuts! but not toooo nuts....

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The McLaren I was looking at specified no tracker which I thought was weird right next to the "no launch control and no burnouts" rule. Like he's saying Go Nuts! but not toooo nuts....

not like hed ever know, but maybe insurance requires that if hes going to rent it out?

or hes bluffing

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
PRO TIP.

PRO TIP #2.

PRO TIP #3.

Do not rent to me.

if i was going to do that and put a tracker in id buy a splitter and extension to hide the tracker farther up in the dash than that.

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I found a State Farm tracker in a parking garage once and always wondered what would happen if I stuck it in my car and started doing a bunch of dumb shit. Dude would be very upset when he sees his new insurance premiums lol.

rick81721

Lothar
I found a State Farm tracker in a parking garage once and always wondered what would happen if I stuck it in my car and started doing a bunch of dumb shit. Dude would be very upset when he sees his new insurance premiums lol.

I've had a State Farm tracker in my GT350 for years. Doesn't make much difference in premiums. They rely mostly on mileage - I think it's just a trick to get people to drive more "responsibly".

serviceguy

if i was going to do that and put a tracker in id buy a splitter and extension to hide the tracker farther up in the dash than that.
Probably why insurance companies in Italy require the tracker to be installed by a certified installer under the hood. What happens is they offer a discount if you install the tracker.

JerseyPete

I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat and only a little cynical, but basically if you are carrying a cell phone are you not being tracked?
I get Google timeline emails showing where I have been. Apparently I go to Chick Fil A a lot in Ramsey.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've had a State Farm tracker in my GT350 for years. Doesn't make much difference in premiums. They rely mostly on mileage - I think it's just a trick to get people to drive more "responsibly".
I’m actually 90% certain they are completely fake. They feel like an empty piece of plastic. My MIL passed down a car to my wife and I noticed she left hers in the car, tried to give it back and she said just throw it in the trash. She works for State Farm. It’s like putting up dummy security cameras.

Top Bottom