turning a 21 speed into SS

What parts do i need? When i try getting the parts every one says only 8-9 speed compatible, does it work with a 7 speed also and i just need a spacer or something? If anyone can put a list of parts so i can order them all at once and not have reorder stuff i'll greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
mike

The Kalmyk

What parts do i need? When i try getting the parts every one says only 8-9 speed compatible, does it work with a 7 speed also and i just need a spacer or something? If anyone can put a list of parts so i can order them all at once and not have reorder stuff i'll greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
mike

The cheapest way is a SS conversion kit...Otherwise a new wheel with a eno hub

alex_k

A typical SS conversion includes a cog, a spacer kit and a chain tensioner. It works with 8-9sp cassette hub. A design of 7sp hub is different so you cannot remove cogs and replace with a single cog with spacers. I'm afraid you need a new rear wheel.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
A typical SS conversion includes a cog, a spacer kit and a chain tensioner. It works with 8-9sp cassette hub. A design of 7sp hub is different so you cannot remove cogs and replace with a single cog with spacers. I'm afraid you need a new rear wheel.

or you could just keep the cassette and use a chain tensioner and just deal with the extra weight. I am sure sheldon brown's site has a way to do it without a new wheel...

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

Maybe not..

Depending on the age of the bike, for a short time Shimano made 7 speed cassette bodies. If the wheel is a cass and not a thread-on freewheel you may be in luck.

There is also hope with a freewheel but you may have to re-space the axle and use a bmx freewheel.

BTW.. 5,6,7 & 8 speed bikes all use the same width chain.

Using a chain tension with a single speed setup usually turns into a problem as it likes to come loose as you go over bumps. I'm a fan of the shortened chain and the BMX freewheel on my GF Rig.

Top Bottom