Turbo's Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.

choop

The fast guys probably ride SS at Allaire because its more fun, not because it's faster. Yes, the more twist/turny a course is, the more it negates the value of having the ability to shift into a bigger gear. Plenty of spots at Allaire can turn into a freaking road race though with how straight some of the sections are.

The fastest guys at Allaire may have a common thread that they ride single speed, but the real reason they are fast is because thay are god damn fast. Last I checked they all had gears on their road bikes and will happily murder you on a roadie ride too.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Every bike is a singlespeed between selections. If singlespeed is faster at Allaire, just pick the gear that's really fast before you start riding.

serviceguy

Ehm...may I point out that as per the article mentioned...
"Mueller drafted a top-fuel dragster with a custom fairing and used a tow in to get up to 90 mph as there would be no way to turn her bike’s huge gear from a standstill. Once up to speed, she pedaled at more than 700w for a minute in the draft of the specially designed vehicle to set the record"

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
The fastest guys at Allaire may have a common thread that they ride single speed, but the real reason they are fast is because thay are god damn fast. Last I checked they all had gears on their road bikes and will happily murder you on a roadie ride
Ehm...may I point out that as per the article mentioned...
"Mueller drafted a top-fuel dragster with a custom fairing and used a tow in to get up to 90 mph as there would be no way to turn her bike’s huge gear from a standstill. Once up to speed, she pedaled at more than 700w for a minute in the draft of the specially designed vehicle to set the record"
Surely it would have been easier and more efficient with gears to go from 90-180 mph doh?

serviceguy

Surely it would have been easier and more efficient with gears to go from 90-180 mph doh?

Completely not factual or backed by any fact, but I'm kind of assuming that changing gear at that speed would possibly result in some spectacular derailleur implosion. I guess that's another point in favor of SS, a few less parts that can break.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
The fastest guys at Allaire may have a common thread that they ride single speed, but the real reason they are fast is because thay are god damn fast. Last I checked they all had gears on their road bikes and will happily murder you on a roadie ride too.
giphy.gif

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Technically this should happen especially on flat ground but it more sounds like someone is tender.
A geared bike is fastest on flat ground so anyone should be able to outrun me. The tender part is that I have no clue who @choop is but it sounds like I struck a nerve with them. Maybe I interpreted it the wrong way.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
On a loose gravel or single track climb, wouldnt it would be easier with geras? since you can keep your weight over the back wheel to keep the rear tire from spinning out? On a single speed you would have to pick a gnarly line and hope it sticks?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
On a loose gravel or single track climb, wouldnt it would be easier with geras? since you can keep your weight over the back wheel to keep the rear tire from spinning out? On a single speed you would have to pick a gnarly line and hope it sticks?
The problem with that theory is you lose control when the front end gets too light and you dart back and forth. Isn’t that where chain stay length cones i to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom