Tubulars vs. Clinchers

CrossAddict

I know there is no comparison, but I figured it's been two days since I started the last fight. So, I'll have another go:D

I know Jim is into the "Tube-Less" wheels, but just get some pedal blocks and take my wheels for a spin. You'll see tubulars are the way to go. I still have to get my extra tubulars back from EABODS:mad:.

Tubulars are the only way to fly.;)

-RF

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
I agree... but the coin that you need to pay for them is a little much. I realize I shouldn't be the one to be talking, but you get my point.

On the road it makes all the difference.

BiknBen

I wouldn't doubt that they are better...but are they worth the expense for us amateurs? If you have coin for a bling carbon wheelset then they should be wrapped with tubular tires. The whole package is just too large an expense for most of us.

disclaimer: I have not raced Cross on Tubies but rode them for years on the road and loved them.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
i will agree that in many ways tubulars might be better BUT..

Tubeless clincher is way way better than tubed.

-Think Zero pinch flats
-Better braking than tubulars.
-Cheaper by far
-They roll way better than a tubed version.

Before you knock this technology you need to try it.

But since you guys are stuck in your ways you might be happy to read this:

http://velonews.com/article/85539/choosing-the-right-cyclocross-tire-for-every-course

Last edited:

jdog

Shop Keep
(Tubeless -->) Just watch out for the 'Burp' if you are running 30psi or less. Right Jim?;)

-RF

I haven't burped them yet. I took some advice from the guys at Stan's and added some extra rim tape such that with the Stan's rubber strips the tire barely fits on. With this setup I can run a pretty low pressure. I actually haven't pumped them with a floor pump since I put them on in the late summer.

I just add a few pumps with a hand pump if I feel the rim bottom out.

Honestly I HATE gluing tire so much that I can't ever imagine running tubulars.

btw.. I also ran the Hutchinson Tubeless on the road bike all summer and i really like them there too.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I know Jim is into the "Tube-Less" wheels, but just get some pedal blocks and take my wheels for a spin. You'll see tubulars are the way to go. I still have to get my extra tubulars back from EABODS:mad:.

Tubulars are the only way to fly.;)

-RF

I ditched the tubeless setup after Wissahickon and have been running the Tufo Tubular Clinchers, they are the best I can do without buying new wheels. They are hands down better than either a traditional clincher or the hokey tubeless set-up. I don't think they're too far off from straight up tubulars either. I'll be investing in some type of pimpy carbon deep-dish wheels and Flexus' for next season:D

-Jim.

CrossAddict

Close

I ditched the tubeless setup after Wissahickon and have been running the Tufo Tubular Clinchers, they are the best I can do without buying new wheels. They are hands down better than either a traditional clincher or the hokey tubeless set-up. I don't think they're too far off from straight up tubulars either. I'll be investing in some type of pimpy carbon deep-dish wheels and Flexus' for next season:D

-Jim.

I've ridden the tufo tubular clinchers and their not bad. You do get the ride quality of a tubular 'almost'. The tire sits a little different on the rim, but it's real close. Try running them with the tufo sealant, drop the tire pressure, and forget about pinching. The set up is a little heavier than a 'true' tubular set up, but the ride quality again is close.

This is the best option if you only have clincher rims. JMO

~RF

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I filled them with Stan's and run them between 25-30psi. I flatted the rear one at 6-mile and the Stan's sealed it right back up.

-Jim.

goldsbar

What tires and rim strips are you guys running on the tubeless setup?

I have the Hutchinson tubeless setup on some Kyseriums (sp? - perfect road wheel for this since they don't have spoke holes) and I always wanted to try some sort of conversion on my cross bike. The road tires do give a nice ride but with all road innovations it's more incremental and really just something fun to play with. Cross, on the other hand, should show some real improvements as I can't run my tires below 50psi on the trails w/out getting flats. These low pressures would burp my tubeless road setup, though.

ArmyOfNone

I have been having this debate internally for some time now. Also Roger has pushed hard to get me to see the light.:D

I have not ridden a set of tubulars so maybe I need to give them a shot. (roger can I borrow those wheels next?:rofl:)

I have seen MANY riders roll tubulars and flat. :hmmm: So Im not completely sold.

I have been running the stans set up and have been VERY pleased with its performance. I have ridden 25-40 psi.

jdog

Shop Keep
What tires and rim strips are you guys running on the tubeless setup?

I have the Hutchinson tubeless setup on some Kyseriums (sp? - perfect road wheel for this since they don't have spoke holes) and I always wanted to try some sort of conversion on my cross bike. The road tires do give a nice ride but with all road innovations it's more incremental and really just something fun to play with. Cross, on the other hand, should show some real improvements as I can't run my tires below 50psi on the trails w/out getting flats. These low pressures would burp my tubeless road setup, though.

http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_58/products_id/411

I am 212 lbs and I run just less than 30 psi with no issue.

CrossAddict

Fred Special

I have not ridden a set of tubulars so maybe I need to give them a shot. (roger can I borrow those wheels next?:rofl:)

I have seen MANY riders roll tubulars and flat. :hmmm: So Im not completely sold.

Fred,

As long as I'm not racing on them that day. You can borrow my XXX-Lites. As far as rolling tires, I use the Belgium method to glue tires and rock the tufo sealant (1 oz. per tire):D. Knock on wood, I've beat the crap out of them for two seasons and not one flat. 26-30psi with 180-185 rider weight. Let me know if you really want to check them out.

EABODS still has to give me my other set of tubulars back from the race.:p

-R to the F

ArmyOfNone

Fred,

As long as I'm not racing on them that day. You can borrow my XXX-Lites. As far as rolling tires, I use the Belgium method to glue tires and rock the tufo sealant (1 oz. per tire):D. Knock on wood, I've beat the crap out of them for two seasons and not one flat. 26-30psi with 180-185 rider weight. Let me know if you really want to check them out.

EABODS still has to give me my other set of tubulars back from the race.:p

-R to the F

Sweet! Id love to give em a go. Ill be seeing ya in the near future Im sure. As long as I can pull ya from the slopes:D

Top Bottom