Tubeless??

Liv2Ride

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge...I have a set of Bontrager XDX Tubeless ready tires 29" sitting in my garage,if I matched these to my rims currently on my bike(WTBSpeedDisk29) can I go tubeless and what do I need to get to make this tubeless.:confused:

The Kalmyk

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge...I have a set of Bontrager XDX Tubeless ready tires 29" sitting in my garage,if I matched these to my rims currently on my bike(WTBSpeedDisk29) can I go tubeless and what do I need to get to make this tubeless.:confused:

NOPE...Tire is a go but not the rims

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
instead of buying new rims you could do a stans no tubes conversion, did it on my 26er and it worked pretty well

RNG1

True true, I run stans rims and use the rim strip in addition (as per stan to greatly reduce burping) and got through RIngwood and JH without even any burping. Although I may have now jinxed myself.

ArmyOfNone

I caution you if you decide to go with the rim strips. Bc the wtb rims sit very deep, stans suggest you first line the tire with weather striping. I tried this setup and it didnt work out so great for me. I burped air on the first ride and completely flatted the first race of the season.

Liv2Ride

thanks for the advise fellas.I'll look into the Stans products and have my LBS hook me up.One last question though, is going tubeless worth it?Pros/Cons..anybody:)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My 1st Tubeless CX bike build

I built Larry (C. Puncher) a salsa cross bike today.

We used the Stan's No tubes CX kit with the new Hutchinson Bulldog CX Tubeless ready tires.

This setup looks sweet. In my book it might be better than tubulars.

I am curious to see what Jim says about this setup???

Have a looksee::)

Attachments

• Larry Salsa Cross 08 003.jpg
    Larry Salsa Cross 08 003.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 107
  • Larry Salsa Cross 08 007.jpg
    Larry Salsa Cross 08 007.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Larry Salsa Cross 08 002.jpg
    Larry Salsa Cross 08 002.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Larry Salsa Cross 08 009.jpg
    Larry Salsa Cross 08 009.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Larry Salsa Cross 08 004.jpg
    Larry Salsa Cross 08 004.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 112

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
We used the Stan's No tubes CX kit with the new Hutchinson Bulldog CX Tubeless ready tires.

SWEET bike Larry!! I love the Con Crosso, I may get one when I get my soul back from Trek:D

I've been eying up that Stan's CX kit. Jay, does it look like the bead could roll and burp? Almost everytime I ride my CX bike I roll my tire away from the bead, not enough to flat, but enough to get grass stuck in my wheel, I wonder if it'd be enough to make the Stan's burp? Maybe I'll order it and try it out anyway...

-Jim.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
SWEET bike Larry!! I love the Con Crosso, I may get one when I get my soul back from Trek:D

I've been eying up that Stan's CX kit. Jay, does it look like the bead could roll and burp? Almost everytime I ride my CX bike I roll my tire away from the bead, not enough to flat, but enough to get grass stuck in my wheel, I wonder if it'd be enough to make the Stan's burp? Maybe I'll order it and try it out anyway...

-Jim.

I spent some serious time today playing with this setup.

I think the key is to build up some tape and/or rim strip until you can barely get the tire on.

These tires have a very tough bead. I don't think they will stretch at all. I would NOT try this with a standard tire.

I used the rubber rim strips with 2 layers of stan's yello tape underneath. This is also on a Elite wheelset that has no eyelets.

I doubt you could burp it easily unless you run 30 psi or less.

I will be riding it this week myself but as of now i see little downside to this system other than thankless setup time.

J_

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I spent some serious time today playing with this setup.

I think the key is to build up some tape and/or rim strip until you can barely get the tire on.

These tires have a very tough bead. I don't think they will stretch at all. I would NOT try this with a standard tire.

I used the rubber rim strips with 2 layers of stan's yello tape underneath. This is also on a Elite wheelset that has no eyelets.

I doubt you could burp it easily unless you run 30 psi or less.

I will be riding it this week myself but as of now i see little downside to this system other than thankless setup time.

J_
Sounds like you like it better than the current setup on my 29er.:hitsfan:

On that note: I'm gonna (or you can?) order the narrow tape (for under the rubber strip) and the yellow tape. One or the other will hopefully do the trick.

bobkennelly

I built Larry (C. Puncher) a salsa cross bike today.

This setup looks sweet. In my book it might be better than tubulars.

I am curious to see what Jim says about this setup???

Have a looksee::)

Yo Larry, that bike looks great! You guys built it up really quick, Good luck with the Hill-billy classic next week..knock em dead bro.

Bobke

THATmanMANNY

I get really confused with tubeless talk :confused:

But on the other hand, I do have a question: I have a tubeless tire. There is not harm running it with tubes inside right? It's just like a regular tire right? What makes a tubeless tire any different than a regular tire besides the no tube part.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
But on the other hand, I do have a question: I have a tubeless tire. There is not harm running it with tubes inside right? It's just like a regular tire right? What makes a tubeless tire any different than a regular tire besides the no tube part.

Tubeless tires have an extra layer of rubber in them so they will hold air. There is nothing wrong putting a tube in a tubeless tire.

Top Bottom