Tubeless - tape - blowoff

rosceaux

I've swapped out tubeless tires before, but this morning was the first time I taped the rims myself. Stan's ZTR Rapid rims with Stan's 25mm tape as per recommendation. It looked great with a lot of stretch in order to keep the tape off the rim grooves. Did a dry installation of Maxxis Ardent 2.4 using my floor pump. Heard the magical pops at around 40 psi. I wanted to get to 50 and let them sit for a while (max inflation is 65), but at around 43 psi Ka-POWWW!!!! Tire blew off on one side. WOW that was loud!

I was able to re-seat it and took the pressure just short of 40, again with the hand pump and no sealant. It's been sitting out in the warm sun and holding pressure for half an hour. The bead looks even and seated.

Given the initial blowoff, should I be concerned that I possibly ran tape into the rim edge? Or, if it holds for a while, should I be okay deflating, filling with sealant, and then re-inflating? Its a front tire, so I plan on running it at much lower pressure, but I don't want to have any catastrophic events far from home. (Or at home for that mater).

Thanks

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Once I hear the pops and the bead is set I don’t go much higher with pressure. I’ll leave low 36psi overnight and it’s good. I think stans actually says not to inflate above 40psi.

JDurk

I've only done that once, using a non-tubeless ready tire on a non-tubeless ready WTB Speeddisc rim using Gorilla tape and Stans valves. Was well below 40psi when it happened.

Max of 65psi is for the tire only and when using tubes. Pretty sure max psi on Stans rim is 40psi.

It was not the tape that caused the blow off, was definitely to much pressure. There is a possibility that the bead of the tire has been damaged. Does the tire wobble when you spin it?

I usually seat the tire first with soapy water, valve core removed and no sealant, in case of blow off. Once seated, inject sealant through the valve, install valve core, re-inflate to less than 40psi and do the shake.

ebarker9

I've only done that once, using a non-tubeless ready tire on a non-tubeless ready WTB Speeddisc rim using Gorilla tape and Stans valves. Was well below 40psi when it happened.

Max of 65psi is for the tire only and when using tubes. Pretty sure max psi on Stans rim is 40psi.

It was not the tape that caused the blow off, was definitely to much pressure. There is a possibility that the bead of the tire has been damaged. Does the tire wobble when you spin it?

I usually seat the tire first with soapy water, valve core removed and no sealant, in case of blow off. Once seated, inject sealant through the valve, install valve core, re-inflate to less than 40psi and do the shake.

This is what I do as well. Haven't had a tubeless blowout but I did have one with a road tube while inflating in my living room at one point. I hadn't noticed that a small portion of the tube got pinched between the tire and rim. Ears are still ringing and that was like 10 years ago.

rosceaux

Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

@MadisonDan: I am mildly offended that you would suggest I didn't read or understand basic directions. Like on the rim that states maximum pressure for 2.2+ tires to be 38psi. Or on the bottle of Stan's that says not to excess 40 psi while setting up.Stuff like that. As any kid who grew up in the 70's knows.... RIF means Reading Is Fundamental.

The bead seemed fine upon visual and rolling inspection. I did deflate, load with sealant, and re-inflate to 30. Bead is solid, everything is looking good. Will test out tonight.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Given the initial blowoff, should I be concerned that I possibly ran tape into the rim edge?

I blew a schwalbe off a rim once and it kept popping off after. They warrantied that. Make sure the casing of the tire doesn’t seem damaged.

Last edited:

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Few thoughts:

1) With new tape, I always use a tube on a tire so it pushes down on the tape overnight, unless I need to ride right away.
2) I've had a couple tires that no matter what, they'd blow off the rim at lowish pressure while putting air in. It sucks because I'd keep trying wanting to use the tire, but either it was made poorly or tolerances stacked up and it was too loose for the rim. And I'm not talking very high pressures, 30-35?
3) I'll put in enough air that the bead may not fully seat, but it's 35-40 psi, and it'll typically push the bead out if I let it sit for a few minutes. Some Stan's helps lubricate it for it to seat, but first time with a tire I typically try to seat without adding fluid, just to make sure there's no issues. For instance the ones I mentioned above that blow off the rim, don't want to now have a tire full of sealant.

I had a tire I refused to throw away that kept popping off. I just kinda freaked out that @jShort mentioned having a problem and was hoping he didn't end up with it, as I gave him a wheel and tire recently...

Last edited:

rosceaux

What appeared to be a good re-seat in the garage revealed a wobble when I took it out and got up to speed. Damn! I set another tire on the rim and did everything properly this time. Rolls perfectly. I wonder if the first tire is salvageable or if it is toast. I will throw it on another rim to check it out.

On a positive note, my tire changing skills are improving dramatically. What took 45 minutes this morning took about 5 this afternoon and with a better outcome. The only negative is that when I heard the heretofore satisfying pops of the tire seating, I was afraid I was getting another blowoff. I kept turning away and ducking. PTSD (Post Tubeless Setup Disorder)

Top Bottom