TT bike dropbars or bullhorns, maybe SS?!

ellbiddy

So as I was scouring the net for bike stuff I came across a deal for a Jamis Trilogy frame that I couldn't pass up, from their website the frameset alone is 1300$ and the full bike is 2k$ I got the frame + fork + headset for 350$ and they might as well be new, not a single blemish or scratch or sign of wear. So now I'm stuck deciding what I want to do with this frame I have a couple options I'm toying with and wanted some feedback:

1.) Drop Bar road/TT machine, I found someone who did the same thing and it came out looking really nice:
DSC05946.JPG

(same frame as mine, colors et all)
I'll eventually get carbon wheels when I find an awesome deal on them but for now I'll use the wheels I picked up for my homemade carbon frame

2.) traditional TT bike with bullhorns + aero bars ... this seems a little meh I'm not super into that whole aero thing too much and the handling loss when in the aero position sucks. I'm not sure how comfy riding long distances on bullhorns is and if I went this route I'd probably get a dual shifter setup, one on the bull horns and one on the aero bars.
product_366945.jpg

3.) Crazy SS with either bullhorns or drop bars (leaning towards the former) as there's a good deal on these:

HB1586.jpg

Now those come with bar end brakes but no room for shifters which is perfect for a SS setup seeing as there is no need to shift.

I'm really partial to the way the bullhorns look for #3 but I can't get over how sexy #1 is. #3 would be awesome if I knew how long I can ride those bullhorns before wanting to throw my bike off a cliff. The only other options is combining #1,#3 for a dropbar SS bike, but that's last on my "stuff I want to do list"

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
drop bar has more option, obviously, but you can probably handle the burnhorns for a long duration since the position is not that much different from the perches on a drop bar.

ellbiddy

I have a frame I made for a road-bike-esque type setup, it's fairly traditional in its geometry and would serve okay as a road bike but I don't have the funds to build them both up to the spec i want at the same time so I have to pick one or the other and I've picked this guy for now ;p. I'm probably going to need a new stem if I go drop as the other one doesn't have enough rise, or I could go with a shallow drop bar ...maybe.

Those carbon horns are set to accept clip on carbon aeros from the same company for pretty cheap (compared to the one piece carbon sets). I do most of my riding alone so a TT/Tri setup isn't too bad for me on the road (imagine that on a mtb :rofl:).

If I go bullhorns I'm still torn as to how to setup the brakes, the bar ends don't leave me much room in the future but if I get a nice set of ultegra brake/shifters I can mount them up top and then if I switch to a drop bar I could always just move them :hmmm: I'm still not sure what the heck I want to do with it

ellbiddy

Do you have a road bike already?

If so id say set it up traditionally. If not...Hook em' horns!

lmfao I just finally realized that pic in your avatar is of the MTBNJ matchies... for my whole time on the forum I thought you were wearing some sort of silly child's halloween costume :rofl:

keithsly

The question is how do you want to ride this bike....

As a TT or Biathlon or Triathlon ride then you want the AeroBAR setup as you will have better Aerodynamics, and confort with the Aerobars. However your hand positions become limited with Aerobars. You are either in the Aerobars, essentially on the end of the "Bullhorns" if you will or putting your hands on the pads for the Aerobars.

Personally when I ride my TT Bike with my Aerobars my most confortable position is in the aerobars, but then again the only time I'm on my TT Bike is at a TT / Training for a TT (Doing Specific distances prior to a TT) / or Racing in a Biathlon....

If you're just looking to add Aerobars to your existing ride go with some Clamp on Profiles ....:cool:

Or your just looking to do some training on the road stick with a traditional road setup !!

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

lmfao I just finally realized that pic in your avatar is of the MTBNJ matchies... for my whole time on the forum I thought you were wearing some sort of silly child's halloween costume :rofl:

You will laugh when you learn that that pic is not of me....but NORM!

ellbiddy

The question is how do you want to ride this bike....

As a TT or Biathlon or Triathlon ride then you want the AeroBAR setup as you will have better Aerodynamics, and confort with the Aerobars. However your hand positions become limited with Aerobars. You are either in the Aerobars, essentially on the end of the "Bullhorns" if you will or putting your hands on the pads for the Aerobars.

Personally when I ride my TT Bike with my Aerobars my most confortable position is in the aerobars, but then again the only time I'm on my TT Bike is at a TT / Training for a TT (Doing Specific distances prior to a TT) / or Racing in a Biathlon....

If you're just looking to add Aerobars to your existing ride go with some Clamp on Profiles ....:cool:

Or your just looking to do some training on the road stick with a traditional road setup !!

Well the issue is that the frame geometry is suited for an aero/TT/tri ride (shorter top tube, etc) so I'm not sure how putting drops on this bad boy will effect comfort. I'm not sold on riding with aerobars so it's not that I just want to slap them on. On top of which I wonder how much benefit you get when slapping aero clip ons on a drop bar, but I am sure you get a big messy looking front end heh.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i was on a fixxie just a couple of day ago (and of course now i want one b/c, well, all the cool kids are doing it) and it had on-one 'midge' bars on it. i really, really liked the way they felt and for me, if i were going to do a fixxie, well, just to be different i'd do that. but that's how i roll so..

walter

Fourth Party
I always thought the reasoning was that unless you are actually doing Time Trials, there is really no sense in having the bars.

keithsly

Well the issue is that the frame geometry is suited for an aero/TT/tri ride (shorter top tube, etc) so I'm not sure how putting drops on this bad boy will effect comfort. I'm not sold on riding with aerobars so it's not that I just want to slap them on. On top of which I wonder how much benefit you get when slapping aero clip ons on a drop bar, but I am sure you get a big messy looking front end heh.

Well then sounds like you don't much choice..... But I can tell you that the Aerobar setup again is more specific and training wise when my Team Ride has someone who shows up outside of the team with TT setup. We don't really let them rotate in the Pace Line for safety reasons...

ellbiddy

I think I'm going to go with a setup that looks like:

DSC06287.JPG

Primarily drop bars, and then clip-on aero's for when I do my tri's

Last edited:

ellbiddy

good choice

Yeah, I'm just not too keen on the ideas of having those dedicated tri bars. clip ons give you all the benefits (that I'll see anyway). And the rest will make for an okay road machine. Eventually when I build up the second bike I might move the drops to that and get dedicated tri bars for this I guess.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think he's mocking you. Of course you wouldn't know it because *your* blogger image link works for you. But the rest of us can't see anything.

ellbiddy

It's not my blogger image, I found it via froogle, it was working 10 minutes ago.

Mirrored on my webspace:
DSC06287.JPG

Last edited:

keithsly

Smart choice.... with the clip them on for Tris or preparing for a tri. Cause as you can see you actually lose a hand position when they are on right on the crosses which is a comfortable position on long rides ....

walter

Fourth Party
I think he's mocking you. Of course you wouldn't know it because *your* blogger image link works for you. But the rest of us can't see anything.

No, not mocking at all. I think the clip ons will be better than a permanant setup

Top Bottom