Trying to get my fat ass into shape

Fulline

Hello All,

I stumbled upon this website and I'm looking to purchase a bike. The last time I rode a bike was about 17~ years ago. I will be mostly using it on park trails for exercise.

My budget is kind of low, so not sure if I should buy new or used, I heard good things about Trek, and the majority of riders I see in the park ride one. A little about me:

32 Yrs Old
6'2
275 lbs

Most likely I will just stop by a local bike shop, but since I'm knowledgeable, I don't want to get ripped off. Thanks in advance for your help.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Most likely I will just stop by a local bike shop, but since I'm knowledgeable, I don't want to get ripped off. Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome.
I don't think ignorant people want to get ripped off either. Cycling is a healthy way of life, mentally and physically. Investing in a bike and riding it is always a wise choice. Here are a list of bike dealers, not sure what one is the closest to Fairlawn. Check it out and let us know what kind of bike you get.

http://www.mtbnj.com/wiki/Category:Shop_Directory

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Head to a good shop & spend the money on a quality brand. At your size you want the bike to hold up and a bike that isn't reliable or worse breaks, will ruin the experience. See if you can test ride it to make sure it fits & is comfortable. Campmor is not to far from Fairlawn, so maybe start there. Good luck & ask any more questions you may have.

greeek32

Depending on how much you want to spend most good brands will have something comparable to each other so don't get stuck on brand too much. Just find a good shop with good service.

You're a bigger guy so you should learn to ride smooth as opposed to bulldozing so your bike lasts longer.

You also might be able to find something used that's nice here on this forum.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Welcome!
Glad you made the decision to get a bike and get fit :D
I agree with what has been said already so wont bother to repeat it, but will add that a properly fitted bike will definitely help you get the most out of the experience.

As for bike shops, I always recommend Halters. They dont try to sell you a bike, they sell an experience and way of life.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
welcome aboard, he best advice I got was to remember to enjoy the whole fact that you are riding a bike again...
that and don't fall in love with the first bike you buy because you will most likely be getting a new/another bike very soon I have 5 now... but don't tell my wife that :)

gingertooth

Cycling is the best thing in the world man. Congrats on choosin to do so. Only good things will happen to you now...I'm 38 and still get carded all the time and cycling is the reason i believe......and it's fun.......lol There are a lot of cycling companies that make great bikes so get what you like.....Just not carbon cause ur a big dude...

ScottZ

Never too late

Gratz on riding again. I agree that brand is not to important. We all have favorites. A good bike shop is the biggest factor. I too would vote Halters but that is a bit of a haul for you. Someone up your way should have a good suggestion.

Top Bottom