Trying to decide on a Bike

Frac

So I am looking at several Bikes to buy and even demo'd one the other day.

I am looking for opinions here, so please feel free to contribute.

I am trying to decide between Bikes. I have narrowed the search down to 4 bikes offered by a local dealer I feel comfortable with.
The basics is, they are all around 2k. Each choice is basically + or - 600 total in swing. So the most expensive one is 2400, and the least I can for 1800.

Which one would YOU take. and WHY?
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22213
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22009
http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/ETSX/etsx-10.aspx
http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/ETSX/etsx-30.aspx

Right now I am really having trouble, being honest with myself, and figuring out what my needs are for a bike. DO I really need that top end one, or do I just want it.

heythorp

Need to answer a few questions.

What type of riding do you do?
What type of riding do you plan on doing?
Do you want more of an all around bike?

A couple of your choices are some serious free ride options.

Oh and as far as price, you can never spend enough. Most of us have too much bike.

Only you can decide how much to spend. If you have disposable income then spend it. You cant take it with ya.

Frac

Need to answer a few questions.

What type of riding do you do?
What type of riding do you plan on doing?
Do you want more of an all around bike?

Well. That’s the problem. At the moment I DONT do any riding. I think I will mainly be doing XC riding. The main area I'll be going to is going to be Allaire.

My main want is a bike is an EVERYTHING bike. I only want to own one bike, and I want it to do whatever I feel like that day. I like to think of myself as an aggressive XC rider. I have experience on technical single track, and want to charge hard and fast on whatever I am riding.

The guys at the shop were really pushing the Rocky Mountain bikes, suggesting that for what I weigh, 220 (6'0") that the etx 30 would be the best option, for all around riding enjoyment.

They also said the burliest bike would be the specialized enduro - which is the cheapest option - since its last years bike.

Frac

Well, I think I agree with you.
My bread and butter riding will be at Allaire.

However, I do hope to get into Penn. and upstae NJ/NY on the weekends when I can. I am used to driving 2hrs or so to go skiing in the winter, when I lived in MA.

I really want a bike that will be comfortable. I think I am hooked on the rocky mountain, but I was hoping someone would slap sense into me.

scalpel6

Beachwood Bikes

Frac,
Sounds like you have been to visit the boys in Beachwood. I have purchased 4 Specialized from Greg and you can't go wrong with his shop. He will not only give you a good deal when you buy the bike but he will take care you on the service end.

Have you looked at the Stump Elite or the Epic Comp? If you are going to do the bulk of your riding at Allaire and Hartshore you want something fast and fun.

The Rocky Mountains look nice as well. I have never ridden one but they appear to be very well built.

This could be the most important choice you ever make. Choose wisely :D

Frac

This could be the most important choice you ever make. Choose wisely :D

Ohh MAN! you are not helping :hmmm:

I think the one I am most intersted in is the Rocky Mountain ETX10. Thats the entry level bike. But for another $400, i can grab that ETX 30. These are the things that kill me. AM i going to notice the difference between the two bikes? I am not a hardcore experience rider at the moment. I am a total Noob jumping in. The other thing I worry about is - I know Allaire will be my bread and butter stomping grounds because it is close. I want to ride at other places too - in Penn. and northern NJ, but I worry am I going to. Is it going to be to far away for me to want to go every weekend? Am I going to have a 2k bike that I am not using. :(

I am leaning towards the Rocky because thats what the guys at the shop ride. In my opinion that tells me it's a good bike.
THE PROBLEM is I havent rode the Rocky. I took that specialized test bike out that they have. The elite, XC one, which is a $3100 bike. That bike was GREAT!, i loved it. It rode well, and the bike felt like it fit me well. But it hurts the back pocket a little to much to buy.

PS- Greg is great.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you descide on the RM, spend the extra $. The fork & shock alone are worth the extra coin. The cool thing about the ETSX-30 is the front & rear adjustable travel which would be a perfect thing for switching between a park like Allaire & a place that is more techincal/rocky.

Shaggz

A strong 7
+1 on the trance. I know it is not on your list, but you would be doing yourself a disservice if you do not, at the very least, read up on this bike.

ArmyOfNone

since we have thrown other bikes in the mix i would like to toss in the Rush. I have ridden it only twice, but its a sweet rig. Halters has a demo if its not to far for you to get there.

If you have the extra cash to lay out for better components go for it. It will pay off in the long run so you wont have to upgrade/replace. I have learned that from experience.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
+1 on the trance. I know it is not on your list, but you would be doing yourself a disservice if you do not, at the very least, read up on this bike.

+2 on the Trance. Great all around XC Full Suspension mountain bike made by Giant. What is great about it is the suspension design -- it is only active when you want it to be. While climbing hills, the bike is like a hardtail, but while going downhill, the 4.2" of travel feels like 6".

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Frac,

I have a Stumpjumper Comp which was the result of the same sort of search last year for me. I wanted a bike that could do anything but mostly could handle Chimney Rock and Allamuchy. I also ride the bike at Lewis Morris and I don't think it's overkill at all. Is it necessary? Maybe not but if the trail is that smooth I just go faster. You can always go faster to make the terrain match the capabilities of your bike. Although Heythorpe is right that most of us have too much bike for what we really need. But hey this is my hobby and that's how it goes.

As for the guys telling you to check out other bikes, I have to respectfully disagree. If you're happy with your shop and these are the bikes they offer, stick with them. IMO it's pretty goddamn hard to find a shop you really love and if you've found that go with what they offer, especially since they offer good brands for you to choose from. These are the guys who are going to take care of you and whatever bike you bike for years to come. If you buy from a bike shop elsewhere you may end up having to drive 90 minutes to service the bike, or bring a different bike to the guys you wanted to buy from in the first place. Not ideal either way.

Plus really, we all love our bikes. How can most of us say that bike A is better than bikes B, C, or D? Unless this is your industry and you've ridden all those bikes 20 times each, it's impossible to say. And as you grow as a rider there's nothing to say that you'll come to hate bike B, or love bike C more.

In short, I'm telling you not to listen to us. We all ride brand XXX, so all we have is experience with brand XXX. I can tell you what a new Specialized is like, or an old Trek full rigid. Other than that I can't say. But even if I could I don't know how you ride at all. Your best bet is to go to the shop and really pour over this with them. If they're a good shop they'll deal with you asking all these questions. Also make yourself a promise that you won't buy a bike in the first 2 visits. Go in, do the Q&A thing, then leave. Go back and do all your research online, then go back to the shop. More questions, demo some bikes, then leave again.

Anyway I hope this helps.

Norm

D

DANSPANK

Just like Norm said, try out as many bikes as your shop will let you. Perhaps your bike shop will be conducting a demo day at Allaire or some other local trail - a perfect opportunity to try out the bikes.

I ride a Specialized Stumpy and just love it. Nice, light, quick, good components, plenty of shops around stocking specialized so easy to get a dealer tune-up wherever you are.

I've not ridden the Epic as I wanted 4-5" of travel but I bet that's a pretty sweet ride.

As you probaly know, Allaire is a pretty fast place and in my opinion the Enduro is perhaps a little robust for that place...

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Frac,

In short, I'm telling you not to listen to us. We all ride brand XXX, so all we have is experience with brand XXX. I can tell you what a new Specialized is like, or an old Trek full rigid. Other than that I can't say. But even if I could I don't know how you ride at all. Your best bet is to go to the shop and really pour over this with them. If they're a good shop they'll deal with you asking all these questions. Also make yourself a promise that you won't buy a bike in the first 2 visits. Go in, do the Q&A thing, then leave. Go back and do all your research online, then go back to the shop. More questions, demo some bikes, then leave again.

Finding a good shop is the best beginning. The shop I go to, Cycleworks, is great and I just love the owners -- just happens to be a Giant dealer. One of the other shops in the area I used to shop at (I won't name names) had been very condecending to my lady when she was new to the sport, so they don't get my business anymore.

If you like the shop, that is worth a lot. If you feel you can trust them, go with their recommendations. Also, for your own research, you can visit the reviews section of www.mtbr.com and see what other people think of their bikes (weight, strengths, weaknesses, etc).

Last edited:

ytc100

Again I'll have to post that out of all the reviews I've read where people compare the FSR to Maestro most reviewers have preferred the maestro.

You are buying a bike, not a bike shop. For me the shop is a secondary issue.

Also the rocky mountain bikes do not have a lifetime warranty on their frames as Giant and Specialized do.

Frac

Wow Guys! :)
I really do appreciate the input and different perspectives.

Well it looks like I planned this out well. I promised myself I would not buy anything this week, and I have managed to stick to it...(well Shit..I did get a hydration pack, and car rack...)
I am flying out today, to head home and visit the family for Mothers day, I plan on spending all weekend figuring out which bike is the right one. Come, Tuesday I suspect I may have some new wheel's for the JORBA beginners ride. :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Most bikes get better reviews than Trek, yet Eatough plows the field with his Trek week in and week out.

I can't disagree about the bike shop but at the same time my point is that most of these bikes are going to do the job just fine, in which case the shop becomes much more of a consideration.

What's the warranty on the RM frame? If it's any less than like 20 years I would never buy it personally.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i agree with everyone, but the net-net is a few things will be the determine what bike you buy:

1. cash. how much cake you want to throw at this, especially if you're "just getting into it"?
2. LBS avails. sure, your LBS isn't the end all be all, and yeah, they'll probably forgive you eventually for buying a bike elsewhere (i think most $$ are made on services anyway...i mean, $6 for changing a tube?!?) but what they have and what they say matters. just keep in mind everyone thinks there stuff is great.
3. what you're REALLY going to do w/ this bike. are you really gonna travel and ride the 'mooch (and look for hatches with Alamuchy Joe :D ) every weekend or are you going to stay central? do you "need" big travel or just want it? all stuff only you can answer those questions.

as for me, i'm on what most people here would refer to as a "vanilla" bike with my trek, a fuel ex7...but i also have "cool" bike, a haro mary SS. i've done some upgrading to the fuel but for the most part it's stock. it's not as flashy as some of the other bikes out there (it's all black) and some folks call the ride of the treks "uninspiring" but in almost two years and a thousand + miles, there hasn't really been a single non-me-being-a-reforming-fatarse problem with it. it takes all that i can dish out and more. not that you're even looking at treks, but that's my dos centavos. good luck with it. i'm glad i'm not buying a full squish right now.

gee, isn't my post timely...

Most bikes get better reviews than Trek, yet Eatough plows the field with his Trek week in and week out.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Frac: AON mentioned Halter's, which is a shop owned by JDOG, who is a fixture on this site. I know he carries C-Dales, and I'm pretty sure he has Giants, as well. He really knows his stuff, and I have only heard good things about him and his shop from others on this board.

Again, I suggest you look around, it is always better to have options. Who knows, you might find 2 shops you are comfortable with, and you will make your decision based on the bike and not the shop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom